How is the American War for Independance taught in the UK?

spectrenihlus

Feb 4, 2010
With a lot of you guys from across the Pond I am very curious as to how the UK treats this part in your history.

Coffinshaker

Feb 16, 2011
can't they just say they shipped off a bunch of fugitives like they did with Australia? or emptied out their insane asylums by shipping em off by boat? >)

theonlyblaze2

Aug 20, 2010
I've wondered this before. I also wonder how World War 2 and the Holocaust are covered in Germany.

Dimitriov

The end is nigh.
May 24, 2010
I don't know about the UK but here in Canada I do remember we covered it at least a little. There was actually quite a lot on it in our text books, which I always read cover to cover, but I can't remember how much actually made it into our curriculum.

Just the main points about the thirteen colonies to "no taxation without representation" to the Boston tea party to an independent United States. And of course how that related to us here in British North America.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
theonlyblaze2 said:
I've wondered this before. I also wonder how World War 2 and the Holocaust are covered in Germany.
Yahtzee thinks the German government sets fire to your house, I wouldn't be surprised if that were true.

comadorcrack

The Master of Speilingz
Mar 19, 2009
Its usually summed up like this "America wanted independence, they got it".

Not really touched upon too much, which is a shame really :/ generally they try to focus on the important stuff though

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Dimitriov said:
I don't know about the UK but here in Canada I do remember we covered it at least a little. There was actually quite a lot on it in our text books, which I always read cover to cover, but I can't remember how much actually made it into our curriculum.

Just the main points about the thirteen colonies to "no taxation without representation" to the Boston tea party to an independent United States. And of course how that related to us here in British North America.
From my experience living in Canada, culturally we're impartial as far as history goes. So a little bit of every nation is taught.

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
theonlyblaze2 said:
I asked, it's so touchy there they don't mention it more than in passing, they won't go into a 40 hour section of how fucking horrible their country was 70 years ago.

comadorcrack

The Master of Speilingz
Mar 19, 2009
theonlyblaze2 said:
Used to be not at all, until student campaigned in the 90's to have it taught to them, they deserved to know.
Now if only England could own up to its mistakes... It'd be nice to have work houses taught to us in a more comprehensive manner... rather than...

MasterOfWorlds

Oct 1, 2010
Anearion616 said:
Typical American arrogance to assume it's taught at all.
Umm...not really. It was sort of a big deal. To actually go against a major power and win wasn't really all that common of an occurance. It also seems like it's be something of an important thing to learn about considering that a lot of people consider it to be the turning point in colonialization and whatnot. Not to mention the fact that we fought the British again not a whole hell of a lot later in the War of 1812. It's a legitimate question.

LinwoodElrich

Dec 1, 2009
Anearion616 said:
Typical American arrogance to assume it's taught at all.
Okay, I am American yes. But this is actually quite arrogant itself. Would it be a major subject? I would assume not like Vietnam isn't mentioned that much in American. Plain and simple, losses aren't elaborated on.

However, the sudden loss of a giant portion (Well over four times the size of their current country) of a country's land seems to be quite a major piece of history that needs be covered.

I have also wondered quite a lot by this and I'd love to know the answer. I'm glad to see someone else has asked and actually been OPEN MINDED enough, rather than arrogant, to want to know.

Rigs83

Elite Member
Feb 10, 2009
I can't speak for Europe but I watched a British historian talk about the Revolution as a civil war between the British and it's colonists.

SmileyBat

Jun 14, 2010
Japan's textbooks have a large, gaping hole in the WWII area, most notably toward the end.

RaNDM G

Apr 28, 2009
theonlyblaze2 said:
I'm pretty sure it's illegal for them to teach since it was a time when the Nazis were in power. I'm pretty sure that's not true though. Let me get back to you on that.

"Hi, I am German and in my mid-40s.
It is the exact opposite to ?just another fact? in German school teaching. It preoccupies the largest part of all subjects taught in history and social science lessons.

In Germany every detail of WW1, Weimar Republic, WW2 and the Holocaust is taught in history lessons in detail. Every school year there is a special activity on the holocaust with seminars and workshops.
It is rather intense and sobering if you sit in school and from the age of 13-18 years old, every year you hear about your country?s morbid history.
But because of it, you understand better how the situation came about, what people did or did not do and leaned to understand why the sentence ?Never in this country again? is so important.
We can only walk the earth with our heads held up high, if we admit to the atrocities that were committed in our name or our ancestors name.

This is the reason why the denial of the Holocaust is a criminal offensive in Germany and punished by imprisonment.

It is illegal in Germany for the reason that it was a crime committed on German soil by the German government 1933-1945.
Volksverhetzung: ?stirring up the populace?, ?agitation of the people?) is a concept in German criminal law that bans the incitement of hatred against a segment of the population. It often applies in, though it is not limited to, trials relating to Holocaust denial in Germany. The German penal code (Strafgesetzbuch) establishes that someone is guilty of Volksverhetzung if he:

in a manner that is capable of disturbing the public peace:

1. incites hatred against segments of the population or calls for violent or arbitrary measures against them; or
2. assaults the human dignity of others by insulting, maliciously maligning, or defaming segments of the population

There are also special provisions for holocaust denial (added in the 1990s) and speech justifying or glorifying the Nazi government 1933-1945.

Although freedom of speech is mentioned by Article 5 of the Grundgesetz (Germany?s constitution), said article basically protects any non-outlawed speech. Restrictions exist, e.g. against personal insults, use of symbols of unconstitutional organizations, or Volksverhetzung. It is a common misconception that Volksverhetzung includes any spreading of nazism, racist, or other discriminatory ideas. For any hate speech to be punishable as Volksverhetzung, the law requires that said speech be ?qualified for disturbing public peace? either by inciting ?hatred against parts of the populace? or calling for ?acts of violence or despotism against them?, or by attacking ?the human dignity of others by reviling, maliciously making contemptible or slandering parts of the populace?.

Volksverhetzung is a punishable offense under Germany?s criminal code and can lead to up to five years imprisonment. Volksverhetzung is punishable in Germany even if committed abroad and even if committed by non-German citizens, if the incitement of hatred takes effect on German territory?that is, the seditious sentiment was expressed in written or spoken German and disseminated in Germany.
Similar laws exist in UK, Ireland, Sweden and Finland.

?But if someone chooses to believe that it didn?t happen..whats the problem, why should it be a crime?? many people ask.
If someone believes that Jewish people are not humans and should be killed in concentrations camps, that is a problem and it is a crime. Holocaust deniers do not deny it because they have not seen the proof, they deny it because they sympathise with Nazis. Someone has to make a stand against Neo-Nazis and the German people have taken up that task.
If you deny the Holocaust existed then you can argue it should not be taught in history lessons in schools and the likelyhood of it re-occurring is higher. If nobody sees it to be a problem because they are kept ignorant, dictators and manipulators have it easy again.

Link for reference.

But it is illegal to do anything to affiliate one's self with the Nazi Party or Neo-Nazis with the intent of inciting hatred (ie: owning/exchanging contraband, giving salutes, goose-stepping, the whole nine yards). At least I got that part right.

MASTACHIEFPWN

Will fight you and lose
Mar 27, 2010
RaNDM G said:
theonlyblaze2 said:
I'm pretty sure it's illegal to mention them. Let me get back to you on that.
I though it was just illegal to do/say/suggest/wear anything nazish in Germany...

SmileyBat

Jun 14, 2010
LinwoodElrich said:
However, the sudden loss of a giant portion (Well over four times the size of their current country) of a country's land seems to be quite a major piece of history that needs be covered.
Wait, WHAT? You had thought this whole time that America has been this exact size since the 1700's, and to top it off, that England had control of it? You're missing quite a few details on how the US got its shape.