How long did your PS3 live or has been alive?

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Asking normal wear and tear questions: Anyone have a PS3 die yet? If you have a PS3 that did not, how long has it been alive?

How many years? How many hours did you play? How many games did you finish?

I have a huge backlog and am kind of giddy about it when I stop myself and realize there's a decent chance my PS3 will not live to play all of them. PS4 comes out and I'd hate to chase good money after bad and buy another PS3 just to finish up what will be old games. (My oldest might be Uncharted 1. I finished 2 well before I even bought 1 to see how we got here from there. Good game but I am at a frustrating point.) Though I do hear Sony will continue to support this till 2017.

If anyone has an official line on the number of hours one should get from a fat, non-BC version (purchased around 2009), that would be helpful too. Thanks!

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
Had mine for around 3-4 years now, the medium slim model.
Still works the same as the day I bought it.
No unusual sounds or anything like that.

LookingGlass

Jul 6, 2011
I bought mine a little before GTA IV came out, so April 2008. Almost 5 years ago. It's one of the original models... 20gb or 40gb. It scared me once a couple of years ago when it froze during a firmware update... but I found something to do online to make sure it didn't shit itself when I restarted it. I can't for the life of me remember what, though.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
I've had mine since 2009 I think, its doing fine. Its is one of the old 80GB models with a 500GB hard drive.

My friend had an old 40GB model that died on him, but then that is was second hand.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
I have a 60 GB fat model that I bought on May 28th, 2007, a little over 2 months after the European release date. I know because I still have the receipt lying in my desk even though any warranty has long expired.

It still works fine. The fan has gotten a little noisier over the years, but other than than I haven't had a single problem with it.

To this day, it has seen use over a period of 5 years, 9 months and 17 days, equating to about 302 weeks. I have no idea how many hours of actual use I've racked up during that period, but I'm guessing I've used it on average 20 hours per week (the vast majority of which to play games), or a grand total of: ~6000 hours.

I hope this gives you some indication, though I'm sure there are people out there with older PS3's and many more hours of use, as well as people with far newer models that died rather quickly.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
I got a 40 Gig original about a month before the price drop and slim model(I was pissed when I found out I wasted $100). That was at least four years ago, and then thing still runs like a fine Swiss watch. I don't use it as much as I used to, but there are plenty of games I still play on it, and I love my big hunk of a machine.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I got the slim-model back before there was an anorexic model. I'm guessing this was back in 2009 but anyway, it's working just as well now as it did when it was new. Granted, I don't play with it very often and mainly use it to watch Blu Rays. I'll be getting some more use out of it soon though since I started playing a few PS3 exclusives at a friend's house and have been getting kind of engrossed.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
Still have a 5 year old fat model. It has seen an enormous amount of work. It has its quirks (sometimes switches itself off without any reason), but it's still working.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
I've had mine since its literal launch day and it still works, so I guess thats near 6 years? Perhaps.

Not sure how many games I've played on it, or even completed, but it has to be at least over 50.

I know for a fact that its lasted me 5 years longer than three 360's, so I'm very happy with my shiny monolith of fun.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
I bought a slim and it lasted about 5-6 months with very light use, one day I was playing Uncharted and the system just turned off. Turned it on, no video output. Had to send it back, they sent me a new system (or repaired?), the returned system has been sitting in the box since I got insanely pissed for having lost all my save files.
Oddly enough I still have my launch day 360 that has been through hell and back.

Jackeno

Feb 6, 2013
I got mine around Jan 08 - Still runs perfectly, and never had any issues at all. Played plenty of games over the years, but now gets mostly used as a media streamer and bluray player.
My friend had a launch system that died on him about a year ago. he opened it up, cleaned it and reset the ribbons, and it worked fine - appart from the drive ( he broke the ribbon housing). So he bought a new system.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
Mine lasted 2 or 3 years until that buggy piece of shit New Vegas bricked it. To be fair, it did last longer than the 11 months my 360 managed.

The slim replacements I bought of both consoles are working a lot better, though; yet another reason not to be an early adopter.

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
My dad and I got a PS3 together back in March 2007 on the European release date, never had any problem with that. After I had moved out I got my own PS3 Slim around November/December 2009 and apart from a few freezes on start up with certain DVDs inserted it has functioned perfectly up until now.

nexus

May 30, 2012
I had one since 2007, the original model.. but last year it busted up.. the very rare "Yellow Light of Death". Entirely my fault though, it was completely caked in dust when I took it apart to have a look. I tried reapplying thermal paste to the GPU and cleaning everything, but it was beyond what I was willing to do.

So I got a Slim, and I'm happy with that.

Sarah Kerrigan

Jan 17, 2010
Mine has been about 3-4 years now. It's starting to freeze and restart many times everytime I play it, so I'm silently wishing it stays working so I can trade in for the PS4..

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
Imported mine from the US shortly after it launched. That must have been around January or February 2007 or something like that. Therefore its a 60GB fat one that still got the full set of PS2 hardware inside. That was the reason I imported one since the EU PS3 already came with limited backwards compatibility. (Note: All my PSOne and PS2 games are NTSC)
Anyway it is still doing well.
The included SixAxis is also still all right. I never bothered to change to a DualShock 3.

Haven't seen much use lately though... last game I played on it was Uncharted 3. All in all I did not use the console as much as I though I would. All together I only bought 15 games for the system of which I did not complete 3 (White Knight Story 1 & 2 (bundle) and Alice)

Xannidel

Feb 16, 2011
Only had mine for 3 years, 4 this summer, and I have to say it runs just as well as the day I got it. I do have the rare times where the console freezes and I had to replace the hard drive because it was getting full.