How long do keyboards last?

CastletonSnob

Elite Member
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
I have a Microsoft 600 keyboard, which I've had for a couple of years now, and I was wondering how long keyboards last.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I have a Microsoft 600 keyboard, which I've had for a couple of years now, and I was wondering how long keyboards last.
Depends on the keyboard. An old IBM Model M mechanical keyboard will probably outlive most people. The average $12 keyboard probably has a life span of 12 months if all you do is office style typing. Most gaming keyboards, especially mechanical ones, can have pretty good life spans. I used a G15 from its release year to about two years ago. Logitech make good gear.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I've had 2 keyboards in the last decade and the last one only quit after I spilled milk all over it.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
A good keyboard should last... a decade or more? A cheap one, maybe a year or two. Depends to some extent on use. I've had a computer since 1997, and I've definitely not had more than three in that time, and one of those was just because the PS/2 port my old keyboard used became obsolete and disappeared.

They're usually rated to a certain number of keypresses (the higher the better) and making sure you don't misuse them too much.

You absolutely do not need to spend much to get a keyboard that will last you years and years. I'd say about £20-30 (US$30-45) is quite enough. Mine's Logitech - keys are maybe a little on the stiff side for my liking, but otherwise been very happy with it: at least 5 years and still going.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
As a general answer to most of your tech questions up until this point...
"It varies"