How long have you been coming to the Escapist?

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Since today is my 26th birthday I got curious about exactly how long I've been coming here. I know I started when someone told me about Zero Punctuation but I didn't create an account for a while because it was never needed to enjoy the videos. I forget why I did it, anyway I looked at my account and it was created 11 Feb 2009. I was 18, two days short of 19. It's been a long time filled with many warnings and suspensions and I wouldn't trade it for anything (except a cure for the common cold, these things are bullshit).

So Escapists, how long have you been hanging around here?

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Since Yahtzee's Smash Bros video. And honestly for years I had no idea there were even comments or a Forum. Just never occurred to me. I just watched ZP and closed the tab soon as it was over.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
Check the date on my profile :p

Seriously though, I only really began to step up my activity here after I discovered the RP Forum and that's where I've been haunting for most of my years.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
...Ten years? Maybe; I can't remember right when I first found out about it, because it looks so different now that I could have gotten it mixed up with another site.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Quite a while.

It's very rare that I have seen someone with a join date earlier than mine (not impossible but my assassins will find them eventually...) and even then, that's when I created a profile, not when I first started. I don't know for certain when I actually started but I know I was watching Zero Punctuation before I signed up.

Battenberg

Browncoat
Aug 16, 2012
I can't really remember when I started visiting Escapist, I think it was a year or so before I created a profile, maybe even 2, so that would make it 2010-2011 I guess. I was introduced to it by a friend at uni who watched Yahtzee's vids and really liked a lot of content so I kept coming back.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
tippy2k2 said:
Quite a while.

It's very rare that I have seen someone with a join date earlier than mine (not impossible but my assassins will find them eventually...) and even then, that's when I created a profile, not when I first started. I don't know for certain when I actually started but I know I was watching Zero Punctuation before I signed up.
You're such an old man, tippy, geez.

OT: The benefit of the join date is that it's usually a pretty good indicator. Not always, as people have already exemplified that they don't typically create accounts when they first visit the site, but I guess it might depend on your definition of "coming to" a place. I suppose technically, people who pop by on Wednesdays for Yahtzee can be considered to be "coming" here, but I feel like that's the same as saying you go to Starbucks every day to get a coffee. You're there, but nobody knows you or anything about you, and you're generally gone again five minutes later.

Anyway. I stumbled across Zero Punctuation somehow a few weeks before my join date, then I started roaming the forums for a bit until I saw a post that I just couldn't resist making an angry response to. So, almost five years? Ugh.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Merry Birthday! You have the same creation date as one of my (real?) friends! Therefore i shall blindly assume you must house other similarities too. Oh the question...i dunno, since the sudden isolation had to be replaced before the insanity fully took over, ooh there is a handy join date riggght here for you!

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
See my date? Ok? I started to come a couple of months before that. I was watching some old reviews from MovieBob in Youtube, but I couldn't find the one of Twilight: Eclipse Part 2. So I Googled it, and I found it in this site.

ThatOtherGirl

Jul 20, 2015
A long time. 6 years now I think, maybe a bit longer. I had to burn my old account though when I came out as trans (so I didn't out myself to people who could connect that account to my real world identity before I was ready), so my posting history on this account is really short.

DayDark

Oct 31, 2007
It has been my main gaming news site since 08. I can't remember why I joined but it was probably Zero Punctuation.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
Since when I was first given a link to Yahtzee's review of Zelda Phantom Hourglass, back in 2008 I think. At first my reaction was like any fanboy: "How dare this nerd say anything bad about Zelda! I bet he never goes outside and refuses to like anything!" I can't remember exactly why I started watching the other episodes, perhaps it was the fast, profanity-laden style and the polished presentation, but soon I grew to like it. I remember the first E3 hype video (golly, that was a long time ago!) being the first update I saw on the site, and then I was hooked. I lurked the forums for a while, until I finally made a profile. First I mostly just commented on episodes of ZP and Unskippable (gee, that takes me back), but eventually started to also comment on actual topics. Looking back on my post history, my attitude has certainly grown.

Superbeast

Bound up the dead triumphantly!
Jan 7, 2009
Not sure. I know it was for a few months at least before I created my account, which was 7 January 2009. It might even have been a year or two before I signed up, albeit coming by incredibly infrequently, then binging content, then forgetting the place existed.

When I signed up we got (PDF, I think?) e-mails with the various articles and so forth in because the Escapist Magazine was an actual magazine.

Never had a single moderator action against my account, but I don't post much.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
I was a member as of 2007, and started coming to the site right around the time some bozo called Yahtzee mentioned he was doing reviews there. Proper old codger.

LongAndShort

I'm pretty good. Yourself?
May 11, 2009
Became a member all the way back in May, 2009 (as can be seen to the left) but I'd been coming to this site for about a half year to a year before that, if I recall correctly. Like everyone else, Yahtzee was the big draw. Mate showed me his Guitar Hero review and I thought it was the funniest thing in the world. There were a lot of other great things on the site at the same time (most of which have long since left us... Unforgotten Realms anyone?) and still are, so I'm still here.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
I'd say it was my join date + maybe 6 months or so.
So I've been here for a while, still coming around, reading reviews, watching videos and making stupid answers in topics I know nothing about :D