How long will this PC last without having to upgrade?

Irriduccibilli

Jun 15, 2010
Well hello there my fellow Escapist community
Sooo, I have another PC related question to ask you
Some time ago I asked you about some good PC parts, and now I have finally found the parts I need, so now I ask you all: How long will this setup last, meaning, how long will it be before I have to upgrade the parts in my PC before they will be outdated and have trouble keeping up with the newest games (I know we can't say for sure, but what do you think?)

Here are the (important) parts I bought
Cooler Master HAF X Big Tower Sort
Corsair HX 850W PSU
Intel® Core? i7-2600K Processor
ASUS Sabertooth P67, Socket-1155
Corsair Vengeance? DDR3 1600MHz 8GB CL9
Gainward GeForce GTX 580 1536MB PhysX
2x Western Digital Caviar® Black 1TB (No RAID (or whatever it is, still dont know excactly what it is))

So there you have it.
Also, another short, but important question.
How well will this setup hold up with the newest games like The Witcher 2, Crysis 1&2 and the upcoming Skyrim (again, we can't say, but what do you think?)

So there you have it my fellow Escapists
I would really appreciate your answers, and hopefully fast answers, I need to know if I need any last-minute changes, I am just about to order everything

Scizophrenic Llama

Is in space!
Dec 5, 2007
My specs are something along this line and I can run The Witcher 2 on ultra settings.

Raidmax Case(can't remember specifics)
Cosair 950W PSU
Intel Core i5-2500k SandyBridge Quad-Core Processor
GIGABYTE Z68 Motherboard (again not too sure on anything past that)
G.Skill DDR3 8GB RAM
EVGA GeForce GTX 570 HD 1280MB
1x Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB

So pretty much a bit lower than yours in terms of the GPU and CPU, but I have no issue running just about anything I can throw at it on maxed out settings thus far. The Witcher 2 runs beautifully with everything maxed out. I have yet to run a proper DX11 game on it though.

I'd recommend a Z68 chipset motherboard over a P67, but it's preference I guess. Z68 is supposedly a bit faster, but you can still overclock a P67 extremely well if you want.

Just make sure you have good fans and circulation for the case, as it will get hot when you play things on higher settings.

Eliam_Dar

Nov 25, 2009
Dammit, I really need to upgrade my GPU. On topic, that rig should last a solid 3 to 4 years.

intheweeds

Apr 6, 2011
To actually answer your question:

Your rig is about as good as you need for current gen on high settings, but you knew that. It's really impossible to answer how long it will last. It depends on how far you are willing to turn down your settings before you upgrade and how quickly new technologies are implemented in games vs. how fast better hardware is available on the market.

That being said, i'm sure you'll get two years before you really start worrying. Games aren't using quad-cores to their full potential yet, so i wouldn't worry about that, a vid card upgrade will come up first.

Irriduccibilli

Jun 15, 2010
Scizophrenic Llama said:
So pretty much a bit lower than yours in terms of the GPU and CPU, but I have no issue running just about anything I can throw at it on maxed out settings thus far. The Witcher 2 runs beautifully with everything maxed out. I have yet to run a proper DX11 game on it though.

I'd recommend a Z68 chipset motherboard over a P67, but it's preference I guess. Z68 is supposedly a bit faster, but you can still overclock a P67 extremely well if you want.

Just make sure you have good fans and circulation for the case, as it will get hot when you play things on higher settings.
The Cooler Master HAF X should have some REALLY good cooling and airflow, so no need to worry right now.
But hey, thanks for your answer, that was all I needed, and I can now tell you that the parts have been ordered, now the wait begins :)

And thanks to everyone else too of course, the more the merrier right?

ElNeroDiablo

Jan 6, 2011
Beauty about using the HAF-X is not only the awesome AIR cooling, but it's ready to go LIQUID cooling if/when you get to that stage (less noise, cooler parts, looks awesome when done right).

Also RAID - Redundant Array of Independent/Inexpensive Drives (the I has changed a bit since RAID first started) - is a method of duplicating (mirroring) or spreading (striping) data across two (or more) drives in the concept of if one drive goes belly-up you can recreate the missing data with what's known on the other drive/s (with the downside of it can take a while if there's a LOT of data).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID

Fluse

Oct 26, 2009
2600k and a GTX580 is about as good as it gets currently, without going into insane budgets and SLI, and will run ANY game comming out this year(and most likely next year to) on max setting without breaking a sweat. That said, its neigther the most bang for your buck, nor is it the longest lasting setup you can go for.

2600k and GTX580 are both top teir components, and you pay for that. Its ALWAYS better to get lesser components and upgrade more often. If moores law holds true (and it has for more then a decade), you can buy a CPU and a GFX card that is the same speed, for half the price, in just over a year. and something that is twice as fast, for half the price in just over 2 years.

Also, a i7 2600K is not needed for gaming AT ALL, the CPU is not the bottleneck, and hasnt realy been since the core2duo days. Also a GTX580 is so powerful that you cant realy tax it fully unless your running multible monitors or games with shitty optimisation.

The bottleneck in a computer tho, is the old fashioned harddrives! i dont know what rageing idiot told you to get a 2600K, a GTX580, 8 gigs of ram and then a conventional drive, but its a terrible idea imho!

You would be MUCH better off getting an i7 2500, a GTX 560Ti and a good SSD drive. OCZ Vertex 3 Series Solid State Disk 120 GB or Intel Solid-State Drive 320 Series 120 GB, avoid Corsair, flaw in the controller on current model. ;)

harddisk Raid simply put is merging severel physical harddrives into a single virtuel drive. you can do it to gain speed, protection agenst data loss or both depending on how many drives you use, and what raid level you go for.

Also, if you want realy good advice on hardware, the escapist is probably not the best place to be looking. Specialy not since we have some awsome hardware communities here in denmark, so go check out the forums on hwt.dk or hol.dk.

Fluse

BigTortoise

May 26, 2011
Get an i5-2500k and save $100.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072&cm_re=i5_2500k-_-19-115-072-_-Product

Get this Rosewill 850w for cheaper money: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182072

Antec 900 case for better cooling with similar spacial features and lower price:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129097 (though the cooler master is still good if you insist.)

Nobody needs 8gb of ram for gaming. Go with 4gb: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231449&Tpk=N82E16820231449

For even better performance at a better price with the GPU, crossfire 2 radeon 6950's:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102921
(The brand of GPU you chose is also not very familiar. Always go for a reliable brand.)

Oh and no need to go overboard on a motherboard like that. Here:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131705

By the way there's never any telling of when you'll need to upgrade. We aren't fortune tellers so we don't know how to predict the future. Just ball up while you can.

Irriduccibilli

Jun 15, 2010
Fluse said:
2600k and a 580 is about as good as it gets currently, without going into insane budgets and SLI and will run ANY game comming out this year on max setting without breaking a sweat. That said, its neigther the most bang for your buck, nor is it the longest lasting setup you can go for.

2600k and GTX580 are both top teir components, and you pay for that. Its ALWAYS better to get lesser components and upgrade more often. If moores law holds true (and it has for more then a decade), you can buy a CPU and a GFX card that is the same speed, for half the price, in a year. and something that is twice as fast, for half the price in 2 years.

Also, a i7 2600K is not needed for gaming AT ALL, the CPU is not the bottleneck, and hasnt realy been since the core2duo days. Also a 580 is so powerful that you cant realy tax it fully unless your running multible monitors or games with shitty optimisation.

The bottleneck in a computer tho, is the old fashioned harddrives! i dont know what rageing idiot told you to get a 2600K, a GTX580, 8 gigs of ram and then a conventional drive, but its a terrible idea imho!

You would be MUCH better off getting an i7 2500, a GTX 560Ti and a good SSD drive. OCZ Vertex 3 Series Solid State Disk 120 GB or Intel Solid-State Drive 320 Series 120 GB, avoid Corsair, flaw in the controller on current model. ;)

harddisk Raid simply put is merging severel physical harddrives into a single virtuel drive. you can do it to gain speed, security or both depending on how many drives you use, and what raid level you go for.

Also, if you want real Advice on hardware, the escapist is probably not the best place to look! Specialy not since we have some awsome hardware communities here in denmark, so go check out the forums on hwt.dk or hol.dk.

Fluse
Tak for kommentaren. Som du kan se er der slet ingen grund til at skulle oversætte det hele til engelsk, men tak for hjælpen ;)

The reason why I bought theese parts are because I dont want to upgrade my PC often, i'd rather purchase some top notch products, wait a couple of years and purchase some new top notch products (call me lazy... because I am).

Fluse

Oct 26, 2009
Irriduccibilli said:
Tak for kommentaren. Som du kan se er der slet ingen grund til at skulle oversætte det hele til engelsk, men tak for hjælpen ;)

The reason why I bought theese parts are because I dont want to upgrade my PC often, i'd rather purchase some top notch products, wait a couple of years and purchase some new top notch products (call me lazy... because I am).
No it wasnt, but i consider posting in Danish on a english site to be quite rude ;)

Also, buying top notch parts whont realy make your investment last longer! going from second to first tier components costs ALOT extra, but does not run that much faster.

For gaming, the diffrence in rendering speed between a 2500 and a 2600K will be so small its impossible to tell, but theres quite a big price gap!

So you might think buying top notch means you have to upgrade less often, but that is generaly not the case. All you get for the extra spending is a slighly faster computer, that will still be beaten by moore in a short 3 years. (in 3 years, according to mores law, you can buy a computer that is twice as fast for half the price.)

Fluse

Fooz

Oct 22, 2010
Fluse said:
Irriduccibilli said:

No it wasnt, but i consider posting in Danish on a english site to be quite rude ;)

Also, buying top notch parts whont realy make your investment last longer! going from second to first tier components costs ALOT extra, but does not run that much faster.

For gaming, the diffrence in rendering speed between a 2500 and a 2600K will be so small its impossible to tell, but theres quite a big price gap!

So you might think buying top notch means you have to upgrade less often, but that is generaly not the case. All you get for the extra spending is a slighly faster computer, that will still be beaten by moore in a short 3 years. (in 3 years, according to mores law, you can buy a computer that is twice as fast for half the price.)

Fluse
you don't need to sign off you post with your username, its pointless, we can see your username in the top left

O.T. yes that will most likely last at least 2 years, providing some super insane new features come out that need special GPU's or whatever, and for people saying you dont need 8GB of RAM, they are partly right, but just have 8GB anyway, it's better, especially if you like to make stuff on on UDK or any other 3D modelling/game engine software like me

ElNeroDiablo

Jan 6, 2011
Lots of video/audio editing would also warrant a RAM amount of 8GB (or more, if you're ~REALLY~ heavy on it), and let's face it, you're not gonna use a rig of that power be SOLELY for gaming, right? You'll want to get the most use out of it rather than let it sit there spending cycles on a few low-use programs when you're not playing Bioshock 2 at max specs, not when you could have it be processing other forms of data such as (for example) a HD recording of your last TF2 match for YT.