How many forums have you been banned from?

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Does it count if you ban yourself? I'm always putting my foot down on myself.
I suppose that might count. I asked a chat system back in the telnet days to give me a one month ban so I couldn't practice avoidance there when I needed to revise before an exam.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Just two -
The OG escapist - I was permabanned for posting gif responses, however in reality Im fairly confident I was banned for arguing with an individual who had mod access and was known to have anyone banned that they didn't like.

Hardforums -
Hardforums is a tech/PC/gaming forum. I joined a private sub-forum called general mayhem assuming it was more off-topic discussions, it turned out to be a alt-right, racist, qanon hideout. I got banned from the site wholesale for antagonising them. The owner has since sold off the forum since he got hired at Intel. I kind of suspect in part it was because he could get into legal trouble if he continued to be associated with it and someone found out about the KKK, proudboy qanon stuff on there.

I only really hangout on very specific sub-reddits and this forum. Im not on facebook or twitter or any of that stuff. Idk the internet has become a very loud place and is a little too exhausting for me.

Last edited:

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Does it count if you ban yourself? I'm always putting my foot down on myself.
I never understood the self-imposed bans. Like, just don't log on, and you're done. I never had to ask an ex-girlfriend to block my number. Never had to ask a job I quit to put me on a "do not re-hire" list." It literally takes more effort to request a ban than to simply not log into a site.

Master Of Puppets

Apr 5, 2020
Country
United Kingdom
I never understood the self-imposed bans. Like, just don't log on, and you're done. I never had to ask an ex-girlfriend to block my number. Never had to ask a job I quit to put me on a "do not re-hire" list." It literally takes more effort to request a ban than to simply not log into a site.
That is what I'm talking about...

I suppose that might count. I asked a chat system back in the telnet days to give me a one month ban so I couldn't practice avoidance there when I needed to revise before an exam.
Heh. It's not really that I find it addictive or that it leads to procrastination. I just don't like how I feel after a bit of conflict, even if it is just online BS. I'm a bit of a wimp really.

Breakdown

Oxy Moron
Sep 5, 2014
down a well
Country
Northumbria
Two forums from what I can remember.

I requested a voluntary ban on the old Escapist forum.

I was banned on the old BBC message boards back in the day. But then the moderation there was absolutely insane.

Reactions: BrawlMan

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
The closest I've ever come that I can recall, was on escapist 1.0, I had...I think 2 marks at once? Though I think their scale was like 8 point scale or something, so I was hardly close to banning. One of them was apparently because I posted a thread about some...I think it was a youtuber that I really liked. He did video games and stuff, and I just suggested people go watch his stuff. Apparently the phrasing I used sounded like a promotion, so I got a ding for that. But they faded pretty quickly, and I never accumulated any more, so it wasn't an issue. I can't remember what the other one was, I think maybe a personal insult instead of keeping things broad. *shrugs* it was pretty minor overall, and was an isolated incident, so i didn't sweat it.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
I had less self-discipline in the old days.

I was academically gifted but excelling didn't really matter than much to me - consequently I was complacent and inclined to settle for "good enough", so let myself get easily distracted and thus regularly underperformed. I started tightening up in my later degree with more maturity, and ensuring key distractions were beyond my access was a sort of primitive system to help me back when I was learning to not be so slack.

I would say it's a sort of psychological reinforcement to oneself. Someone I know who does Wicca says that what they think magic is: the spell/ritual is not some invocation of supernatural power, it's just a self-created symbol to help one focus one's willpower on a task. When my father gave up smoking he had a letter-opener that he repeatedly slid between his fingers as a distraction - for years (he only stopped when it broke). And I think we have all sorts of our own systems to buy into to achieve that sort of thing.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
I was academically gifted but excelling didn't really matter than much to me - consequently I was complacent and inclined to settle for "good enough", so let myself get easily distracted and thus regularly underperformed. I started tightening up in my later degree with more maturity, and ensuring key distractions were beyond my access was a sort of primitive system to help me back when I was learning to not be so slack.
Huh, I was completely the opposite. Overperformed in high school and increasingly put in less and less effort. Graduated from uni with an OK degree and went on to work in something unrelated and completely brainless by comparison.

OT: Banned? Never... I believe... I just abandon forums when I don't think it's conducive to the maintenance of what little of my sanity there is. Why else am I only here once every couple of weeks?(!)

Suspended? Once from the OG Escapist forums, but I think it was for something super petty that escalated (still relatively petty) to mildly back-talking a mod. I shrugged... and my life continued.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Three. Two for language back in the bad ol' days (sometimes you just have to call an asshole an asshole)
Once on Twitter for telling somebody whining "what about straight pride parades" that they should walk in the street. Which is bullshit. Walking in the street is what parades *are*

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
One.

That was roughly 20ish years ago on some Dragon Ball Z fan forum. For some reason I was being an ass to an admin and their fan art, needlessly heckling them. Shouldn't have done that, but ah well.

Last edited:

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
None, I've never been banned from any forums, probably because I don't engage much and if I get into a heated argument I normally just stop responding so there's not that much opportunity for me to get particularly hostile, I have been banned from stores though, thinking about it I've never been banned from anywhere.

Masonicon

Legacy
Apr 14, 2011
Country
Indonesia
here's mine:
  1. Pre-reboot!KHinsider forums
  2. Titansgo.net forums (my permaban in this and above happens in the early days of my netizenship, in 2008-2009)
  3. TVtropes(barring it's spin-offs) for talking about 'conspiracy theories' there
  4. HTFSocial(I once think this as HTF fansite until I learned in hard way this was Encyclopedia Dramatica as a social network)
  5. Spritewars dot com(I banned from there for advertising my mega-crossover project there, then Metal Slug database's destruction from sands of time prompted me to ban-evade Spritewars where I managed to make some friends there before myself got permabanned twice from there)
  6. Sheezyart's reincarnation(cuz it's mods find some of my things disturbing, as a response of this, I like Tails x Cream(Sonic franchise pairing) as only friends)
  7. Zdoom.org forums
that's it so far

Last edited:

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
None.

Got some warnings over time though, some even quite justified. It can be hard to keep in mind all the different rules of the different forums.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
None.

Got some warnings over time though, some even quite justified. It can be hard to keep in mind all the different rules of the different forums.
Eh, usually the rules are mostly the same, and boil down to "don't be an asshole." Though

But we all have our bad days where we just have far less self restraint than normal, and put more direct jabs in our post, and then actually hit Post Reply. That's usually why most good sites have a strike system, to account for "everyone can be an asshole sometimes" factor. If it's an isolated incident, then you don't really have anything to worry about, as it will fade naturally. If you are constantly wracking up strikes, well, then clearly the issue is with your online behavior, and if you're not going to correct it, you gotsta go!

Perfectly reasonable to me. I also think this is more of an issue for younger people, as most of the times I have been a complete asshole online, were back in my teens and 20s, when I was still dealing with a lot of internal shit, and not handling it very well. I can't say that I was on par with some of the more toxic dudebros out there, actively seeking out people to attack and insult. But I was no above losing my cool at a comment directed at me, that was probably in jest, and I just took it too personally, and overreact. I can still recall my behavior in a particular online video game, with a conversation between some guild mates, that I cringe about to this day. I was way out of line, and went off on someone that did NOT deserve it, at all. It wasn't my standard behavior, not by far, but, yeah I was way more abrasive back then.

So I try to give people the benefit of the doubt about online demeanor, depending on how often they behave that way. If it's an occasional thing, then it's just regular human variance of mood. A pattern is just that, a pattern.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Eh, usually the rules are mostly the same, and boil down to "don't be an asshole." Though

But we all have our bad days where we just have far less self restraint than normal, and put more direct jabs in our post, and then actually hit Post Reply. That's usually why most good sites have a strike system, to account for "everyone can be an asshole sometimes" factor. If it's an isolated incident, then you don't really have anything to worry about, as it will fade naturally. If you are constantly wracking up strikes, well, then clearly the issue is with your online behavior, and if you're not going to correct it, you gotsta go!

Perfectly reasonable to me. I also think this is more of an issue for younger people, as most of the times I have been a complete asshole online, were back in my teens and 20s, when I was still dealing with a lot of internal shit, and not handling it very well. I can't say that I was on par with some of the more toxic dudebros out there, actively seeking out people to attack and insult. But I was no above losing my cool at a comment directed at me, that was probably in jest, and I just took it too personally, and overreact. I can still recall my behavior in a particular online video game, with a conversation between some guild mates, that I cringe about to this day. I was way out of line, and went off on someone that did NOT deserve it, at all. It wasn't my standard behavior, not by far, but, yeah I was way more abrasive back then.

So I try to give people the benefit of the doubt about online demeanor, depending on how often they behave that way. If it's an occasional thing, then it's just regular human variance of mood. A pattern is just that, a pattern.
At least the places you went to had a strike system. The forms I used to do that at the time didn't even have the courtesy to do that. The IMDb forums had mostly reasonable modders & site administrators, but there were a couple of jerks they tended to overlook at times. GameFAQs is even worse as a lot of the moderators in charge, are just as big as jerks as the trolls and jackasses at infested website. There's still some good people there, but there's a reason why I have not opened up my GF account since 2000-freaking-9.

Reactions: happyninja42

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States

My low point was the late '90s. I got into a heated debate over how the [then] new VW Beetle was a ridiculous symbol of absurdity and decadence for how stupid it looked. Some people in the forum (I forget which forum) didn't take kindly to my comments and attacked me. I attacked back. It went on for about 3 days until an admin shut us down. I sat back, looked in the mirror, and said "well, THAT was stupid." Since, I tend to identify when my opinion isn't worth bashing it against others', know when I'm being gaslighted, and back out of exchanges I know are going nowhere but south.

That said, I still hate the VW Beetle. Fight me.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
My low point was the late '90s. I got into a heated debate over how the [then] new VW Beetle was a ridiculous symbol of absurdity and decadence for how stupid it looked. Some people in the forum (I forget which forum) didn't take kindly to my comments and attacked me. I attacked back. It went on for about 3 days until an admin shut us down. I sat back, looked in the mirror, and said "well, THAT was stupid." Since, I tend to identify when my opinion isn't worth bashing it against others', know when I'm being gaslighted, and back out of exchanges I know are going nowhere but south.

That said, I still hate the VW Beetle. Fight me.
Yeah there is definitely a factor of "youthful hotheadedness" to a lot of the various online social problems. For many, it levels off with some maturity and perspective. For some, who never truly mature emotionally, it's just the way they handle things, and it continues into middle age. Like a lot of the toxic assholes on YT that will rant for an hour about shit like the sexist agenda in Tifa's reduced tit size, and think that's a valid use of their, and our time.