How Many Games Can You Recognize in This Blur Studio FX Video?

John Keefer

Devilish Rogue
Aug 12, 2013
How Many Games Can You Recognize in This Blur Studio FX Video?

[vimeo=97143634]

There's Batman: Arkham Knight, The Elder Scrolls Online, and Halo, and even a few that you wouldn't normally associate with the special effects studio.

Not every developer can have a Blizzard CGI team to create its videos, cutscenes and PR trailers. That's where Blur Studio comes in, and just in time for E3, they have put together an almost five-minute compilation video of their work.

You can sit back and grab some popcorn, as this is a brilliant show of some really great trailers all in one animation/FX video. And near the end, you can get a chuckle when you realize that Blur has not confined itself to just games, but has thrown in some snack food footage as well.

Source: Vimeo [http://vimeo.com/blurstudioinc]

PirateRose

Aug 13, 2008
They sure did over saturate that video with Batman, Star Wars, LOTRs, and Thor. Must be their favorites. None of the Mass Effect 2 ones. They wanted this to be a positive video.

edit: Look Digic Pictures did a Vimeo video too, & they have ME3 and DA2 all over in it.

Honestly, after watching Blur's demo video verses Digic Pictures demo video, I think I prefer Digic.

Orks da best

Oct 12, 2011
Wow so many games, and a few movies and tv shows I think?

Wonder what would happen if they did a full on movie rather than scenes or trailer.

FogHornG36

Jan 29, 2011
this kinda stuff make the big time cgi movie company like pixar look like a big pile if poop.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
That tearing really bothered my eyes a lot I'm sorry to say in the video or it was as if the scenes were skipping a beat without needing to (and I'm not referring to the editing) while being fully buffered.

Yea I can pretty much name all of the games in that video without really a sweat since there is an abundance of the same games thrown in there (ESO, Arkham Knight, Halo etc).

It's quite funny and sad a bit that Prey 2 was the only game in that montage that had a CGI trailer and in game it looked almost the same as in the trailer, that really blew my mind.

Anyway the games were: Arkham Knight&Origins, Halo, Elder Scrolls Online, Planetside 2, Prey 2, Dark Souls 2, Bioshock Infinite, Firefall, Force Unleashed II, Thor The Dark World, DC Universe Online, Star Wars The Old Republic, Lord of the Rings, League of Legends, X-Men Origins: Wolverine The Game, Far Cry 3.

I probably missed one or two (I had no idea what the fish and the ones in the burning car were).

SerBrittanicus

Jul 22, 2013
That was great - they should make a movie or some such thing (even if it would take a very long time).

Also does anyone know what song was playing throughout the video?

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Boy, they sure like Star Wars a lot. And that trailer from Arkham Knight too.

Now that I think about it, I want a Star Wars film made by these guys.

Also I saw bits of the Prey 2 trailers... excuse me while I cry in fetal position over that corner for the rest of the evening...

senkus

Apr 3, 2010
These guys also made The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo's awesome title sequence:

iniudan

Apr 27, 2011
FogHornG36 said:
this kinda stuff make the big time cgi movie company like pixar look like a big pile if poop.
What are you talking about, Pixar can easily do that level of detail, it just doesn't show as sharp as most this trailer, as they tend to go for a duller cartoony design.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
PirateRose said:
They sure did over saturate that video with Batman, Star Wars, LOTRs, and Thor. Must be their favorites. None of the Mass Effect 2 ones. They wanted this to be a positive video.
Almost all the cinematics that Blur did for ME2 were essentially Normandy fly-bys with the exception of the suicide mission. The rest were all in engine.

Not that I'm blaming them for that. Fly-bys are easy. Action scenes, particularly hand to hand combat, explosions, and close-up destruction, are much harder to do without falling into uncanny valley territory and they are probably one of the best at doing that, even better than Blizzard in many cases.

Aug 1, 2010
Well, I certainly recognized the one character the truly matters.

[spoiler/]President Baddass of the Universe, Miles Quaritch

[img/]http://www.empireonline.com/images/interviews/media/stephen-lang-avatar-gas.jpg[/img]

[/spoiler]

Very neat show though. It's kind of ridiculous the things we can create these days.
The one negative thought I had while watching was "Oh, so these are the bastards that make pre-rendered trailers so incredible that the final product is a huge letdown..."

2clueless

Clueless since 2003
Apr 11, 2012
Plasmadamage said:
I saw bits of the Prey 2 trailer. Now, I feel sad.
*nods* Sad is the word. I thoroughly enjoyed Prey, was looking forward to the next installment. Ah, well.

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
The Rogue Wolf said:
BRB, gonna go buy some Goldfish for some inexplicable reason.
I'm gonna go buy some too. I don't know why but they just seem like the perfect snack to eat while I play Batman.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
This trailer didn't remind me of the awesomeness of trailers so much as the awesomeness of games in general. Specifically, it reminds me of everything we've achieved over the years and it brings to mind the limitless possibilities that games offer us.

Ever since the days of Pong, we've went on grand adventures from the Caribbean to Coruscant. We've gone though epic battles in so many different and amazing places. From planet outposts to castles to deserts to even the netherworlds. We've experienced powerful stories that have moved us to our core. We've wielded almost innumerable powers and weapons, have driven boats, spaceships, planes, and vehicles. We've explored so much, from massive fantasy worlds to little towns. And finally, we've shared these experiences. We've played together. We've laughed, fought, and created. And we've done this ever since the beginning of gaming.

And even after all that, there is still more to see, more to do. There are characters to meet and places to explore. Limits to be broken. It is all truly amazing.

This is why I'm a gamer. This is why I love gaming and will always love gaming. May we keep on making these incredible experiences until the end of time.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
Stern faced white dude fights stuff, the game.

Seriously though highlight reels like this just serve to illustrate how pervasive that stereotype is in AAA gaming (And to an extent media in general). I think I saw a black dude in there once, a lady once or twice, and a talking baked treat just as often. How novel!

But then I'm probably missing the point, it's all very pretty to look at. Guess I'm just in a grumpy mood today that all I could think of after watching the trailer was the silly white dude thing mentioned above.

Makabriel

May 13, 2013
SerBrittanicus said:
That was great - they should make a movie or some such thing (even if it would take a very long time).

Also does anyone know what song was playing throughout the video?
Probably made in house. Shazam couldn't place it and Shazam's pretty good about finding music.. Was very nice though.

The Madman said:
Stern faced white dude fights stuff, the game.

Seriously though highlight reels like this just serve to illustrate how pervasive that stereotype is in AAA gaming (And to an extent media in general). I think I saw a black dude in there once, a lady once or twice, and a talking baked treat just as often. How novel!

But then I'm probably missing the point, it's all very pretty to look at. Guess I'm just in a grumpy mood today that all I could think of after watching the trailer was the silly white dude thing mentioned above.
*face palm

It's sad people can't enjoy something without picking it apart. All I could think about was Damn how far we've come in the past 20 years or so..

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Blur's best work in my mind is still the introduction to Dawn of War. The entire essence of Warhammer 40000 distilled into two minutes of mindless carnage.