Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
It really depends on what the game is. With fighting games I go for about 3 hours per session before needing a small break because they're super fast and my hands literally get tired. If it's a Jrpg or something story based I can marathon it like an anime so I can do 8+ hours a session.

But yeah I don't really have a stable weekly thing because I do a lot of reading and other stuff too. Maybe something like 20ish hours? But that's an average from weeks where I've done almost no gaming and others where I've done 40~ hours.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
On days I do play (which is most days of the week) it’s anywhere between 1-3 hours per day, leaning on the higher side during weekends. Usually involves losing sleep in any case as nearly 100% of my game time is when the wife and kid are in bed.
Yeah, for me it depends on the game, whether or not my wifey passing out stops the play. If it's a game I'm playing in the living room, on the PS 4, then the whole point is I'm playing it so she can watch and participate/comment. So if I glance over at the couch and see she's gone boneless and snoring, I'll stop playing THAT game, but often go back to the office to play something on the PC. Also my cats will often just be so wound up that ANY gaming is just not allowed, and I have to go wear them out with string for a while until they pass out for nap 25 of the day.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Yeah, for me it depends on the game, whether or not my wifey passing out stops the play. If it's a game I'm playing in the living room, on the PS 4, then the whole point is I'm playing it so she can watch and participate/comment. So if I glance over at the couch and see she's gone boneless and snoring, I'll stop playing THAT game, but often go back to the office to play something on the PC. Also my cats will often just be so wound up that ANY gaming is just not allowed, and I have to go wear them out with string for a while until they pass out for nap 25 of the day.
My cat occasionally likes to jump onto an upstairs ledge that looks down to the main floor, but one time he was in a particular frenzy and slipped off to about a 13’ drop. It happened so quick and he landed a few feet from me before I could react (I was actually recording something on TV). He stuck the landing though and ran back upstairs in an instant but I don’t think he’s gotten quite so cavalier since. It was a full moon and he usually goes nuts around then, like he thinks he’s a werewolf or something.

Last edited:
Reactions: happyninja42

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Very variable as I'm a compulsive hobby jumper so I spend lots of time on one thing then give up and go to something else. But right now probably only 4 hours a week or so. I'm part-way through making a game (current hobby, nothing fancy, just learning Unity/C#), so I'm playing a wider variety of games right now for inspiration/clever ideas and such.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
I struggle to keep interest in a game for more than an hour or two at a time. I was playing Doom Eternal's like penultimate final level and just kinda looked to my left and just realized I'd rather be over there than continue playing, and the only thing over there is a chair. I suspect I still have a gaming hangover from the Mass Effect 3 ending that I can't get into anything.

Reactions: BrawlMan

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Got the Locked and Loaded trophy in MGSV, which concludes the grindy stuff. Now I can get onto the funner stuff of finishing side ops, S ranks and mission tasks. The collectibles will conveniently be taken care of as a result of finishing those.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
I find myself playing no more than 2-3 hours a day, I don't have a job or any immediate responsibilities, so you might think I have all the time in the world to play games.

What i find myself doing is I just don't feel call to play these games. Like, I have many games on stream, they are all great titles, but I just don't feel like playing them. It's either because I already have logged 50+ hours so I know what I'm getting into, or it's because a new game that I tried but ended up never picking up again.

IDK, I feel I am losing interest in games, old or new

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
I struggle to keep interest in a game for more than an hour or two at a time. I was playing Doom Eternal's like penultimate final level and just kinda looked to my left and just realized I'd rather be over there than continue playing, and the only thing over there is a chair. I suspect I still have a gaming hangover from the Mass Effect 3 ending that I can't get into anything.
Actually Doom is one of those games which to me always got repetitive within an hour or so. Granted I am not big into shooters, but it never was like this with Bioshock Infinite which is the last one I really enjoyed. So it may just be that game's fault.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Depends really.

There are times when I'll clock in 1-2 hours every evening, but there are also times when I don't touch anything for weeks on end.

As it is right now, I have been sitting here looking at a game for the last 6 weeks and haven't done anything with it.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I'm ashamed to say that I don't play nearly as much as the rest of you. I don't generally play at all on workdays since I work 12 hour shifts and there is only just enough time to shower, eat, and go to bed. On days off I tend to play 3-4 hours or so, unless I get really into a game. I do spend a lot of time watching Let's Plays, game analyses, and reading game articles and forums so I like to think that somewhat counts.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Actually Doom is one of those games which to me always got repetitive within an hour or so. Granted I am not big into shooters, but it never was like this with Bioshock Infinite which is the last one I really enjoyed. So it may just be that game's fault.
People really hate on Bioshock Infinite, and I can't tell why. Its a great shooter, with interesting characters, even if Booker is the player character, Elizabeth is clearly the main character, and it never got overly repetitive. Boss fights sucked pretty badly, but Bioshock has never been known of its great boss fights.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
People really hate on Bioshock Infinite, and I can't tell why. Its a great shooter, with interesting characters, even if Booker is the player character, Elizabeth is clearly the main character, and it never got overly repetitive. Boss fights sucked pretty badly, but Bioshock has never been known of its great boss fights.
I just liked the story and feel of the world a lot, the shooting I could take or leave. I guess it's more people whose main genre is shooters who are used to a different feel mechanically.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I'm ashamed to say that I don't play nearly as much as the rest of you. I don't generally play at all on workdays since I work 12 hour shifts and there is only just enough time to shower, eat, and go to bed. On days off I tend to play 3-4 hours or so, unless I get really into a game. I do spend a lot of time watching Let's Plays, game analyses, and reading game articles and forums so I like to think that somewhat counts.
Same boat. 12 hour shifts, so not much gaming between that. Plus having small kid at home all the time due to Covid makes it hard to play games. Plus any chores I need to get done between sleep and work, yeah, why I rarely get to play until the weekends.

I occasionally get around it by playing Super Mario Galaxy/Sunshine with my kid sitting next to me but a lot of the games aren't really kid appropriate or something she would find interesting.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Slacker. ;)

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
I could very happily sit and play a game all day, but because of other life commitments, most days is usually is 1-3 hours, if at all.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I think it was a combo of people resenting the story for being so convoluted and the shooty bits being so far between, at least for certain sections. For a while there seemed to be this popular opinion that it was a great game but a lousy shooter and should've been designed as an RPG or something else. Maybe because of the fact that development kept getting scrapped and the devs supposedly made up to like 4 or 5 different games by the time Infinite went gold.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
It varies depending on how much work I need to do each week.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
I think it was a combo of people resenting the story for being so convoluted and the shooty bits being so far between, at least for certain sections. For a while there seemed to be this popular opinion that it was a great game but a lousy shooter and should've been designed as an RPG or something else. Maybe because of the fact that development kept getting scrapped and the devs supposedly made up to like 4 or 5 different games by the time Infinite went gold.
I believe it's been mentioned somewhere by the devs is they created like 4 or 5 games worth of material they ended up not using. Based on the older trailers compared to the final game I can kind of see what they mean, since some of the concepts and mechanics in the trailers are different then the release version.

Honestly, I'm not sure we'll ever know.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I believe it's been mentioned somewhere by the devs is they created like 4 or 5 games worth of material they ended up not using. Based on the older trailers compared to the final game I can kind of see what they mean, since some of the concepts and mechanics in the trailers are different then the release version.

Honestly, I'm not sure we'll ever know.
To add another detail, it really does not much with the message on racism, other than it being bad. Daisy Fritzroy ended being a wasted character that needed retconning in the DLC in order to make sense, but raises even further questions. That is what turned me off from buying it at all. For all of the flaws Wolfenstein: New Order and New Colossus had, both games never strayed from their message on racism, Nazism, and how American racists views influenced the Nazis and vice versa. They were never afraid and had the actual fucking balls.

Last edited:

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
To add another detail, it really does not much with the message on racism, other than it being bad. Daisy Fritzroy ended being a wasted character that needed retconning in the DLC in order to make sense, but raises even further questions. That is what turned me off from buying it at all. For all of the flaws the Wolfenstein: New Order and New Colossus had, both games never strayed from their message on racism, Nazism, and how American racists views influenced the Nazis and vice versa. They were never afraid and had the actual fucking balls.
Yeah, the racism message in Bioshock Infinite isn't well done and then gets more or less tossed out the window once the dimension hopping shit starts happening about halfway through the game. And while I appreciate the Vox losing their shit once the revolution began, the lead up to that is cut out with the dimensional jumps so it loses impact. And the whole Daisy thing thing annoys me, especially the retcon. Now it's not "Oh, Daisy got consumed by hatred as the revolution burned" it's "Oh, it was all staged to make elizabeth kill someone" except it doesn't really jive with the rest of the Vox leaving piles of bodies everywhere and burning columbia at the same time, unless apparently that was all staged too.

I have really mixed feelings about the DLC, as well as the main game.