How many "normal" Japanese books have you read?

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
How many Japanese books have you read in your life?

I don?t mean manga books or light novels. I mean regular, ordinary novels or non-fiction books that are written by a Japanese person and were originally released in Japan.
(You don?t have to have read the books in Japanese; translations are fine.)

And before you even ask: 71, last time I counted.

Spakko

Oct 28, 2014
Hmmm... if translations do count then, well, one. "Musashi" from Yoshikawa Eiji. It was a very enjoyable read.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
I've read about five of them.

Battle Royale being a personal favorite of mine. Then I've read The Audition since it got an English translation, and then Taiko by Yoshikawa Eiji. Tales of Genji being the last one I've read, and that was by a Japanese court concubine. Super interesting.
Spakko said:
Hmmm... if translations do count then, well, one. "Musashi" from Yoshikawa Eiji. It was a very enjoyable read.
That's the other one I've read and I really enjoyed it. There's a manga adaptation that doesn't do the book justice, but it's still good.

Ogoid

Nov 5, 2009
Ehh... some? I don't really keep track, to be honest.

Between Haruki Murakami, Eiji Yoshikawa, Yasutaka Tsutsui and Koji Suzuki, I would guess I must've read maybe a dozen or so, plus the odd short story by authors like Junichiro Tanizaki, Kenzaburo Oe or Ryunosuke Akutagawa; if Kazuo Ishiguro counted, that would probably push the final count up some.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Ogoid said:
Ehh... some? I don't really keep track, to be honest.

Between Haruki Murakami, Eiji Yoshikawa, Yasutaka Tsutsui and Koji Suzuki, I would guess I must've read maybe a dozen or so, plus the odd short story by authors like Junichiro Tanizaki, Kenzaburo Oe or Ryunosuke Akutagawa; if Kazuo Ishiguro counted, that would probably push the final count up some.
You have no idea how long I've wanted to find somebody else who's read Tanizaki.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Only a few:

Kojiki by O no Yasumaro
Silence by Shusaku Endo
Kwaidan by Koizumi Yakumo
Kitchen by Banana Yoshimoto
Moonlight Shadow by Banana Yoshimoto
Moju: The Blind Beast by Edogawa Rampo

I have Rashomon and a bunch of Murakami books but I haven't read them yet.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
None! :D

But I dont really read American books either.

If I did though, would want to read The Book of 5 Rings by Mushashi Miyamoto...though I dont know if that counts as normal either, since its about like...practical stuff for swordsmen rather than a novel.

Oct 12, 2011
I suppose technically one, Japan 1941 by Eri Hotta, but I don't know if was released in Japan first or not.

For the record, it's a non-fiction work looking at the beginnings of the Pacific War in WWII from the Japanese perspective. Very good historical work in my opinion.

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
As in 4 of the Vampire Hunter D novels by Hideyuki Kikuchi though those might be light novels I'm not sure.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
I've read a whole bunch. I've lost track actually..

Back in the brief period when I was studying Japanese I got kind of obsessed with Izumi Koyka, who was mostly a playwright but also wrote novels and short stories. Only a few of his short stories are published in English, but they really resonated with me and I wrote several essays on them. I also had a thing for Yukio Mishima for a while, which retrospectively makes me uncomfortable. I think in the past I was able to draw a distinction between the romanticisation of fascist themes and actually being a fascist which I don't think I could do now.

Modern Japanese literature generally doesn't do it for me. I think Haruki Murakami is great when he's writing short stories, but his novels are hugely overrated.

Actually, if you're into Japanese literature generally, one person you absolutely should read is Kenji Nakagami. I feel like he gets overshadowed in foreign language circles by the fact that he's Burakumin, to the point that it kind of overshadows his universal appeal as a writer. Like, he writes about stuff which is very grim and in some ways very atypical of Japanese writing, and he clearly hated the Japanese literary establishment, but the obsession with the fact that he's Burakumin and attempts to tie everything back to that kind of illustrates to me that the people who tend to read (or rather, who get paid to talk about) Japanese literature live very sheltered lives.

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
Three, but all of them in Japanese. Fortunately they were relatively simple ones since my Kanji skills are nowhere near good enough to read most Japanese books yet.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Story said:
As in 4 of the Vampire Hunter D novels by Hideyuki Kikuchi though those might be light novels I'm not sure.
Those are definitely light novels. Cheap, trashy, sexist, pandering light novels.

Love them to death, got over a dozen of the english language ones.