How many "normal" Japanese books have you read?

lionsprey

Sep 20, 2010
unless you count web novels then 0 as far as i know. i have read a good number of web novels though

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
Spakko said:
Hmmm... if translations do count then, well, one. "Musashi" from Yoshikawa Eiji. It was a very enjoyable read.
Count me as well. I read it the first time when I was like 11. I got it from an old books festival in my summer home town, and its sheer size caught my attention. I think it was the thickest book I'd ever seen or read up until that point in my life. When I held a presentation about it in middle school, my classmates were joking that I'd brought in the Bible.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Saelune said:
None! :D

But I dont really read American books either.

If I did though, would want to read The Book of 5 Rings by Mushashi Miyamoto...though I dont know if that counts as normal either, since its about like...practical stuff for swordsmen rather than a novel.
It's a classic non-fiction book, so yep, it counts as heck. I read it years ago; it was not bad IMO.
davidmc1158 said:
I suppose technically one, Japan 1941 by Eri Hotta, but I don't know if was released in Japan first or not.

For the record, it's a non-fiction work looking at the beginnings of the Pacific War in WWII from the Japanese perspective. Very good historical work in my opinion.
Sorry, mate, but it doesn't count. :p I don't know if it's been translated to Japanese, but it was originally written in English for a western audience.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
I don't see how light novels are abnormal books simply because of being anime-like.

Anyways, love me some egg at the end of the world.

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
altnameJag said:
Story said:
As in 4 of the Vampire Hunter D novels by Hideyuki Kikuchi though those might be light novels I'm not sure.
Those are definitely light novels. Cheap, trashy, sexist, pandering light novels.

Love them to death, got over a dozen of the english language ones.
Gotcha. I loved was well I meant to continue with the series.

Oct 12, 2011
Queen Michael said:
davidmc1158 said:
I suppose technically one, Japan 1941 by Eri Hotta, but I don't know if was released in Japan first or not.

For the record, it's a non-fiction work looking at the beginnings of the Pacific War in WWII from the Japanese perspective. Very good historical work in my opinion.
Sorry, mate, but it doesn't count. :p I don't know if it's been translated to Japanese, but it was originally written in English for a western audience.
Welp, my soul is now officially crushed. That shunts my tally back down to zero.

(I still highly recommend it though.)

DrownedAmmet

Apr 13, 2015
I've got a huge literary hard on for Haruki Murakami, but other than that I don't think I've ready anything else Japanese. I've probably read about seven of his books so far, though.

His books (at least the ones I've read) all have this spooky vibe that hangs over them, where even though completely normal things may be happening, you know something is out of the ordinary.

Not sure if that has to with him being Japanese or if that's just his style

Sonmi

Renowned Latin Lover
Jan 30, 2009
Read a bunch of Murakami, Silence, Battle Royale, and Confessions of a Mask and The Temple of the Golden Pavillon, though I only read these last two because Mishima was such an interesting figure in real life.

I'm not a big fan of Japanese litterature, to be honest.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Well, I have read some Murakami books, besides "Samurai" by Matsubara and some real classics, like "The Five Rings" by Musashi, so my final count would have to be around five-ish...

Queen Michael

Jun 9, 2009
Sorry to sound whiny, but you can't just say "Murakami." There are multiple Japanese writers called Murakami. There's Ryu Murakami, Haruki Murakami, and more.

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
I had to read Silence and Kokoro for a Japanese literature class and I found them insightful for the time period they are about

Sadly, i don't think I will see an adaptation of classic Japanese literature any time soon. However, I'm happy Tomihiko Morimi is getting adapted; his books seems to have a nice level of narrative complexity and thematic resonance.

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
Queen Michael said:
Ogoid said:
Ehh... some? I don't really keep track, to be honest.

Between Haruki Murakami, Eiji Yoshikawa, Yasutaka Tsutsui and Koji Suzuki, I would guess I must've read maybe a dozen or so, plus the odd short story by authors like Junichiro Tanizaki, Kenzaburo Oe or Ryunosuke Akutagawa; if Kazuo Ishiguro counted, that would probably push the final count up some.
You have no idea how long I've wanted to find somebody else who's read Tanizaki.
Call me a failed weeb but may i ask what Junichiro Tanizaki wrote? i think i might have read a short story or two in my lit class but i don't recall sadly

Edit: looking at his body of work, i've read Aguri at least

Sonmi

Renowned Latin Lover
Jan 30, 2009
Queen Michael said:
Sorry to sound whiny, but you can't just say "Murakami." There are multiple Japanese writers called Murakami. There's Ryu Murakami, Haruki Murakami, and more.
Pretty sure we all mean Haruki when we refer to Murakami.

He's pretty much the only Murakami that pierced into mainstream Western reading circles, as far as I know.

COMaestro

Vae Victis!
May 24, 2010
I've read a few. Like some others here I read Musashi by Eiji Yoshikawa. I've also read Musashi's Book of Five Rings and Hagakure by Yamamoto Tsunetomo. Though light novels, I've read nearly all of Hideyuki Kukichi's Vampire Hunter D novels, as well as his Meiji Dorakyuu Den (Dark Wars: The Tale of Meiji Dracula). One of the first Japanese novels I read, though, was The Inugami Clan by Seishi Yokomizo. I was sad that more of his works were not translated. There may be a few others, but they are not coming to mind.

Queen Michael

Jun 9, 2009
Sonmi said:
Queen Michael said:
Pretty sure we all mean Haruki when we refer to Murakami.

He's pretty much the only Murakami that pierced into mainstream Western reading circles, as far as I know.
Not to be a besserwisser, but I'm gonna be a besserwisser: The work of Ryu Murakami was mentioned in this thread, and before Haruki ever came up too. :) Which makes me happy, since Ryu Murakami is my favorite Japanese writer.

Queen Michael

Jun 9, 2009
Mister K said:
Exactly one: All you need is kill. Good book.
Agreed, mate. I was gonna read it just so I could brag that I'd read the book before I watched Edge of Tomorrow, but I ended up liking the book on its own merits.

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
Queen Michael said:
Mister K said:
Exactly one: All you need is kill. Good book.
Agreed, mate. I was gonna read it just so I could brag that I'd read the book before I watched Edge of Tomorrow, but I ended up liking the book on its own merits.
I especially liked authors afterthoughts in the end of the book (not a direct quote):

"When in RPG the old village elder says "Thank you brave warrior for saving our world" the only thing that I can think is that I am not a talented warrior, or skilled tactician, gramps. I died and failed and reloaded and with each reload I knew how to fight enemies better. I am no hero, there was just no way for me to not beat the game".

It just shows his attitude when he was writing the story. Anyone can become "badass" if they can relive every dire situation untill they succeed.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Excluding the ones about Japan, the only ones I've read are "The Book of Five Rings" by Musashi Miyamoto, and "The Life Giving Sword" by Munemori Yagyu, back when I was in college. Back then, I'd just finished reading a biography on Musashi, so I was curious to see what their books on sword philosophy were like.