How many users in 4chan and similar sites, are truth to their words?

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
So, just for the heck of it, I watched some Pony Thread Simulator videos in youtube.
[Google it]. They are hilarious as f*ck I must say, but at the same time, terrifying in some occasions...

But of course I believe most of the times the anonymous users just post stupid things just to troll or just to have fun, because.....well, they are anomymous, no one can say something to them.

But the question remains, how many of the posts you believe are telling the truth about the users? Do they really all have these weird fetish that at the most parts I don't care [because honestly, I have my dark secrets as well], but sometimes some "confessions" are dark and terrifying as f*ck?

Also I want to say I am not talking about only for MLP fandom, but for every, single, thing, is inside 4chan and similar sites.

And I will be honest here, I was in 4chan sometimes, but only for the /gif/ thread....
Yeah, I know, I know.....

Keoul

Apr 4, 2010
It's ridiculously hard to tell...
How much of that is serious and how much are lies?
We shall never know...

lechat

Dec 5, 2012
Keoul said:
It's ridiculously hard to tell...
How much of that is serious and how much are lies?
We shall never know...
that was fucking hilarious and yet potentially real

SweetShark

Jan 9, 2012
TopazFusion said:
When it comes to 4chan, it's impossible to tell the difference between trolls, and people who are actually 'that way' inclined...
We really do need an Escapist version of one of these thread simulators >.>
Now you made me worried.
Do you really believe a Escapist Thread Simulator need to exist?

I don't think we even close to this kind of "quality" 4chan have....

SweetShark

Jan 9, 2012
Bertylicious said:
When people think they're anonymous they are more true to themselves than they are in real life.
Why to think they're anonymous?
They ARE anomymous.
Also you have right about the last part....

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
As a person who has been on 4chan more than once

TopazFusion said:
When it comes to 4chan, it's impossible to tell the difference between trolls, and people who are actually 'that way' inclined...
this is true. Absolutely certainly some people are..."that way", however you choose to define it, others are just trolls. The difference between the two is minimal if any.

TopazFusion said:
That would be interesting, yes. I'd like to see an "overrated" thread.

SweetShark

Jan 9, 2012
DoPo said:
TopazFusion said:
That would be interesting, yes. I'd like to see an "overrated" thread.
And that why I think it is very difficult.
It is very difficult to find this kind of material in this Forum. And I am glad for that.
Gametrailers Forum on the other hand........I created some "quality" Threads in the past cause I was a troublemaker here.
No 4chan's quality, but still something to see and laugh your ass off XD

An example is my Pinkie Pie Vs Kratos Thread.....oh my got the butthurt when PInkie had t3 times the amount Kratos had in votes XD.

Oh my!!! I google it and it is the first results!!!! I can't believe in my eyes.

http://forums.gametrailers.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1216937

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
SweetShark said:
TopazFusion said:
Now you made me worried.

I don't think you've seen enough of the threads about sex we get around here.

OT: Some of these people will undoubtedly be trolls trying to get a rise, but I'm sure an equal number completely feel whatever they're saying. That's the amazing thing about humans; There's practically no limit to how messed up we can get. I mean, come on, just Google Lyra plushies.

EDIT: Don't google it if you're at work or around loved ones you feel might judge you.

SweetShark

Jan 9, 2012
shrekfan246 said:
SweetShark said:
TopazFusion said:
Now you made me worried.

OT: Some of these people will undoubtedly be trolls trying to get a rise, but I'm sure an equal number completely feel whatever they're saying. That's the amazing thing about humans; There's practically no limit to how messed up we can get. I mean, come on, just Google Lyra plushies.

EDIT: Don't google it if you're at work or around loved ones you feel might judge you.
Do you think "might" they will judge me? XD
And sorry to disappointed you, but I had saw far worst than that.
I learned a new thing by wathing one of the Pony Thread Simulator videos

Google Dragons f*cking cars

Anyway, about the Escapist site, do you have some examples to see what do you mean?

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
I can believe that some bronies are that sick, but /b/ is that sick regardless of amount of ponies involved. And while they might do it ironically at first, eventually they get to a point where "fapping" becomes "clopping" and any sense of decency or dignity goes right out the window. I don't even risk going on /mlp/, because I'm never sure whether the spoiler image tags are hiding actual spoilers, or...

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
SweetShark said:
shrekfan246 said:
SweetShark said:
TopazFusion said:
Now you made me worried.

Do you think "might" they will judge me? XD
And sorry to disappointed you, but I had saw far worst than that.
I learned a new thing by wathing one of the Pony Thread Simulator videos

Google Dragons f*cking cars

Anyway, about the Escapist site, do you have some examples to see what do you mean?
Look up a few posts by Boudica [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/view/Boudica] and Clearing the Eye [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/view/Clearing+the+Eye]. You may need to dig fairly deep at this point, and some of the threads might not exist any more, but I guarantee you'll find the interesting posts eventually (unless they're 403'd/404'd).

EDIT: The shorthand of it is that on the internet, some people are far too comfortable sharing far too much information. This applies to everywhere, not just places like 4chan.

mechashiva77

Jul 10, 2011
I tend not to take anything from 4chan (mainly /b/ because I think that's what people talk about when they think of 4chan) seriously. It really wouldn't make a difference if they were just trolling or if they were serious, I would see it as a bunch of people wasting their time.

Esotera

May 5, 2011
It depends a lot on which board you're visiting. 99% of the posts on something like /b/ are complete rubbish and shouldn't be taken as serious, but that would drop down to something like 25% on some /sci/ threads, and it gets more reliable on quieter boards.

There are also other imageboards that are way more reliable (like 420chan, which is awesome).

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
The term for this is Poe's Law. There is no way to tell.

4chan thrives on controversy. To be more controversial is to be more amusing (I know cause I go there).

4chan itself has referenced this, by simply quoting a person's post and then putting a score (1/10, 9/10, etc) are questioning if their post is true or just a good (or bad) attempt at trolling.

Piorn

Dec 26, 2007
I'm pretty sure there are people on every topic that actually mean what they post, but I think, in the serious things relating to violence, hate and REALLY weird stuff, they're the minority.
Also many things aren't really AS bad as people say. I don't go to Tulpa threads, but I'm fascinated by the concept in general.

jebara

Nov 19, 2009
I go to 4chan occasionally and hang out with a bunch of guys who play 4Chan style jokes and conversations what I understand from it is it is just some running joke by 4chan users about trying to act like the weirdest guys on the internet, so I don't think their actually like that...(unless we are talking about perdophilic anime hentia...for some reason I don't think that is much of a joke)

Jun 11, 2009
The number is high enough to be frightening, but low enough to avoid being taken seriously.

I mean, I used /mlp/ for a bit a month or two ago, and while I don't consider myself that messed up, anonymity goes a long way towards removing inhibitions.