How much did your life changed in the last 10 years ?

cathou

Souris la vie est un fromage
Apr 6, 2009
Ok, so lately I'm thinking a lot about the past, because first I'm going 39 in a month and that I see 40 getting there quickly, and secondly because my oldest daughter started school today, in the same class room I was in 34 years ago...

But take a decade perspective. I dug up a post I made on this forum in 2009

The thread is named : Are you content with your life?

I replied this : "no. i'm 30, i've reach the highest position i could acheive in my underpaid career with a high school diploma, so i must get back to school. i dont have a house, nor that i think that i could afford it in the next decade. i dont have childrens, and i dont think i could think about it until a few years again. when i was 15, i was hoping that at 30 i would be a little bit farther than this"

Since that post, I did returned to school, twice actually, I first took an IT degree in college that I did after my work day, and I'm now doing an IT degree in a university with online classes. I will be finish with that in two months. Then with my degree, I got an IT job in an hospital which is very cool, and I earn almost twice what I was earning in 2009.

I did bought a house. It was not what we expected, we managed to sell it for a good price, and we bought a new one, better, brand new so we could really decide what it would look like. And it now look fantastic.

And we did had children, two daughters, like I said the oldest one is getting to school this year.

So yeah, my life did improved a lot in the last decade. Do you think your's have improved as well or do you think you were living a better life 10 years ago ?

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
I've now got a house and two kids, one at her first year of school too. Just in the last 6 years.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
It?s gotten worse. The nightmares get worse, I can?t get help, still treated like shit by everybody.

I sometimes wonder if it?s worth living.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Bought a flat, married and moved abroad (in that order)... and that's the last year and a half.

Ten years ago, I had graduated with a meh grade and got a job which I became sort of became superglued to. Took quite a lot to leave it, got a butt load of professional qualifications while there, but man, staying there so long was probably a mistake in hindsight. The missus certainly thinks so.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Went back to school to gain a different degree, gained a set of friends that I will have for life, moved to Vancouver for grad school, broke my ankle to the point that I needed surgery (I did a good job of breaking it) and got to experience Canadian healthcare (it's pretty awesome), got a part-time job on top of my teaching assistant duties, and I'm about to start my second year.

So, kind of a lot happened in that span. Moving was a bastard and a half, but I live with two awesome people in a basement suite in a quiet place in North Vancouver. Walking is still a bit of a challenge since I was only allowed to walk with full weight back in mid-May, so exercising again will be a thing soon.

I think it's improved since I'm not as miserable and things are improving for me professionally, so can't really complain (ankle being an occasional bastard notwithstanding). I miss my friends back home, but the internet makes things easier.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
cathou said:
Do you think your's have improved as well or do you think you were living a better life 10 years ago ?
I'm not really one to discuss personal matters much, but I'll just say "no."

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
The one big change is that my father passed away recently. My mom and I had been taking care of him since he got physically and mentally disabled about 10 years ago. Me personally (35), I'm still pretty much in the same place I've been since high school.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Fair amount. I transitioned. I have more friends than I used to. I used to have to work for a living, but blessed by fortune and contacts I work and study for the simple fact that I find it fills out the hours in the day. I haven't (yet, maybe, who knows...) started a family, or gotten wed or engaged. I'm still a bachelorette who loves motorcycles, board games, and exploring about the place.

I'm less angry or cynical than I used to be, but then again I don't face the same slings and arrows as I did in my late teens and early twenties.

All in all, I've become somewhat less mature, less responsible, and less professional as time wages an inevitable losing battle against my body but not my mind (but that one is facing battles of its own on other fronts). I feel like I'm getting older, but I act and feel younger.

That's about the best trade off as a person can hope for, surely?

DarthCoercis

May 28, 2016
Got divorced, left (retired from? not sure) the job I'd had for 15 years (and loved) to pursue an entirely new career, moved into a small flat (it's great, so little cleaning to do!) and am still getting to play magic or cricket with my mates on the weekend.

Overall, I can't complain.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Well 10 years ago I was just a kid, so I can say that I have improved greatly as a person. Yet at the same time my life is so much sadder. Friends and relationships in general were so much easier back then, now all they do is cause me pain.

wootmon_v1legacy

Oct 17, 2012
well 10 years ago I was eleven and I was quite unsuspecting a gifted student with a troubling past unknown to me at the time past, I went to school I was almost in my last year of primary my parents split up and everything started to fall away piece by piece.
First family started to drift then as highschool came around I was in a new school a different school to all my friends and everybody seemed to know eachother, yes I did make friends but halfway through the year my friend circle was broken when one of three left and I was alone.
Another friend leaving a few months later followed by another then recouping as she came back, some more friends then and then more breakup followed by more friend making then drugs.
10 years ago if you told me my parents might be drug dealers and I had gotten into the stash and taken roughly 30hits of lsd I would have asked what drugs were, now 21 in a sharehouse away from the city I once called home I study aged care and have come to terms with some things which nobody in there late teen should have to go through.
Hopefully I finish this year and get a job or at least complete my course.
cathou said:
snip also thanks dude this gives me some perspective I might not have had otherwise, I'd like to ask what you do now in a way that will appeal to somebody that could learn a lot from somebody almost twice my age

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Here's my list
- I finished college
- I moved into a condo
- I became far more skeptical about my own political biases
- I stopped caring that other people enjoyed pop music, or that they didn't care about metal
- I took up writing as a hobby to rival my gaming hobby
- I started reading Terry Pratchett
- I've learned taekwando and golf

Frankly, the only thing that's gotten worse is that I've slowly begun to lose touch with my friends from college, now that they all have wives and kids. I have a new circle of friends, but that same level of closeness just isn't there.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
The most relevant is that I currently live thousands of miles away from where I used to live 10 years ago. I also still had not realized how several parts of the Internet are more than just echo chambers, there are also deep voids of darkness that one must avoid staring for too long, least one gets sucked into them; and I didn't know about memes either.

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
I gained like 100 lbs, but about 35 of that was a son. The rest was fat- it's a terribly sedate job coupled with intensely stressful deadlines and a cavalier attitude towards fair employment and contracts (it's like the wild west, one job can be a weekly 9-5 payment plan with appropriate bonuses and incentives, the next could be lump sum at end, penalties for late delivery, and no weekends off).

I also got a house.

My job has been the same (comp artist), but I always bounced between tons of employers- the last two years has been a longer stretch than usual under a single employee, however.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
In the last 10 years I've lost my grandmother, almost lost my father, had knee surgery and almost died from a blood clot.

On the bright side of things my dog recently had a cancer scare but he had minor surgery to remove some lumps and everything turned out well.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
I learned that I was lied to and that it does not get better.

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
Two degrees, a professional accreditation, considering a third degree or at least some development courses. I still live in an apartment by myself but I'm a lot more ok with that than I used to be. Looking at condos but that will be a year or so from now before I buy. I make a lot of money which is cool but I don't use much so maybe I'll get a big one.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I have a job now, but I'm pretty meh about it. Other than that I'm still sitting in the same chair, on the same computer, browsing the same forum as I was 10 years ago. I think I might have rearranged the room one time, so that's a pretty big change! Also, my post count is a lot higher.

RaikuFA said:
It?s gotten worse. The nightmares get worse, I can?t get help, still treated like shit by everybody.

I sometimes wonder if it?s worth living.
Dude no, it's worth it. If only to keep posting on the Escapist! Seriously, I'd miss you if you stopped posting.

I don't know what kind of help you need, maybe there's some online resources that will help?

(Oh no, the Escapist forgot how to quote it's own apostrophes!)