How much LP footage did Anita Sarkeesian "steal", exactly?

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
The question I have is why anyone would look up 40 LPs to prove a point about anyone else. A person made some videos on Youtube that another person may or may not agree with. Oh no.
OP: Yes, most people are just going to focus on the mission in a Hitman game a majority of the time, but half the fun in a game that drops you in a sandbox area is to just save then go commit acts of utter chaos to your heart's content. So they are both kind of right, just not to the extent that either is saying.
I know nothing about any dispute over the game footage that she uses and I'm not looking it up. So I refrain from comment on that matter.
this isnt a matter of agreeing or disagreeing with someone, this is a matter of someone lying and trying to pass those lies as legitimate arguments

as for watching 40 LPs, thats called doing your research on the topic

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
LifeCharacter said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
what truthly baffles me is that she got 150k dollars for her "research" and didnt even play the damn games
And I suppose you have proof of this. Not conjecture. Not "I don't like what she says about the games so she's a liar." Not "Thunderf00t said so." Actual proof.

Because, otherwise, you're just slandering someone.

the post i was quoting HAS the proof she used LP footage and without giving credit, but well, heres the link again

http://victorsopinion.blogspot.be/2013/07/anitas-sources.html

and heres the proof she got 150k bucks

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/566429325/tropes-vs-women-in-video-games

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Abomination said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
The question I have is why anyone would look up 40 LPs to prove a point about anyone else.
Let's not discredit the veracity of his work, let's discredit that he actually did the work.

Anita is perhaps the loudest hyper-feminist in the gaming community. She doesn't engage in any actual debate so the only way to debunk many of her baseless claims is to release ones own video on the same medium.
He could have just said "As everyone knows, the Hitman series punishes you heavily for killing non-targets. So she is stretching so far here that she is in danger of snapping in two". He basically spent hours confirming what everyone already knew: people who play Hitman don't want to do badly at playing Hitman. I was making a comment on my disbelief that anyone cares about her enough to actually do that.
When attempting to prove someone wrong if you have the option to go overboard and drown them with evidence, do so.

If Anita spent half as much time on what she was paid for as Thunderfoot did she would probably have had a passable product.

The reason why so much effort is put towards discrediting Anita is due to the disproportionate amount of support she receives.

silversnake4133

Mar 14, 2010
Well, aside from all of the crap that she did do such as plagiarizing others' work, her sources are also rather questionable at best and biased at worst. Thunderf00t made a video checking out Anita's sources on her website "Feminist Frequency", but a lot of her "sources" were blogs, feminists TED talks, and some sources that were purely reliant on Feminist logic. So not only is she dishonest with where her video sources come from, she's also piss poor at doing actual research that doesn't pander to her perspective.

Here's the video:

He starts to look through her sources at around 4:40 if you'd rather skip to that.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
Women gets 150K to make web videos.

Women can't be bothered to record her own footage and takes it from other people despite being funded to make her own videos.

How is this acceptable in any capacity, exactly?

She had the money to do it, it's literally what people paid her to do, make videos.

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
IceForce said:
So let me get this straight.
You watched the video where she kills the strippers herself and says the players are encouraged to do it. You see the score counter go down. TF says he's never seen any other playthrough of someone going in and doing it. He says how it's a stealth game and you're supposed to go kill a target, not "live out your sexual fantasies" or whatever Anita says, clearly contradicting what she's just said.

AND THIS IS WHAT YOU TAKE AWAY FROM IT?! *facedesk*

Here Comes Tomorrow

Jan 7, 2009
Diesel- said:
So what would Anita think of Stalker Series? because in entire series there are all male characters. only.
Not much because its too obscure, so wouldn't generate enough attention. Theres a reason she only talks about AAA titles.

Also, there is narrative reason why there are no women in The Zone.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
CpT_x_Killsteal said:
IceForce said:
You watched the video where she kills the strippers herself and says the players are encouraged to do it. You see the score counter go down. TF says he's never seen any other playthrough of someone going in and doing it. He says how it's a stealth game and you're supposed to go kill a target, not "live out your sexual fantasies" or whatever Anita says, clearly contradicting what she's just said.

Take a chill pill.

I already previously made a thread about Anita's Hitman Absolution coverage:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.857622-Anita-Sarkeesian-Hitman-Absolution-Epic-Fail

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
IceForce said:
CpT_x_Killsteal said:
IceForce said:

Take a chill pill.

I already previously made a thread about Anita's Hitman Absolution coverage:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.857622-Anita-Sarkeesian-Hitman-Absolution-Epic-Fail
Alright, alright, fair enough.

Well to properly answer your OP, she's got both her own footage (i.e. Hitman), and footage taken from other people without crediting them (A list has already been posted).

So it actually can be both. Because it is both.

I... don't know why you'd say it can't anything but all or nothing.

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
IceForce said:
But hold on a sec. I thought all of Anita's footage was "stolen" from let's plays on Youtube?
Prior to the most recent video, almost all of it was either promotional footage or taken without being credited from a LP video (in these cases, the specific LP video has been located).

The one segment that thunderf00t goes on about does seem to be her own footage, or at least no one has been able to find another source, and as thunderf00t said, virtually no one actually kills the strippers. The game penalizes you for it (at this point someone will point out that you get some points for hiding the body, but you don't get enough if the person wasn't a combatant to make up for the loss and you lose an end of the level bonus. Likewise no one actually playing the game normally drags them around in a big circle like that (especially given that there's a body dump box right there), for the same reason that virtually no one uses the portal gun in Portal to take long lingering several minute stares at Chell's ass every test chamber (side note: I wonder if they'd agree that means Valve is complicit in the perverse male gaze of gamers using a carefully concocted mix of platforming and sexual arousal, because they don't explicitly stop you from doing that?).

Her argument in that entire segment is ridiculous too, since it amounts to the premise that dev explicitly encourage anything that isn't expressly forbidden, and how noncombatant female NPCs need to be incapable of having violence done to them regardless of how male noncombatants are treated because violence is worse when it's done to women.

You know, like how the US government explicitly works to encourage binge drinking using a carefully concocted mixture of chemical dependence and sexual arousal (through not expressly forbidding advertisements including attractive women) to the point of fatal alcohol poisoning because there is no law expressly restricting the amount one can drink.

Rayce Archer

Jun 26, 2014
She didn't steal any. Video of someone else's work does not belong to the individual who records the video. Or to put it in real-world terms, video of a MLB game doesn't belong to the players, it belongs to major league baseball.

Publishers "own" footage of their games and permit its use by tacit noninterference. Lets Play-ers don't own any of it, even what they record, and neither does Anita.

Harleykin

Sep 11, 2013
you know what bothered me with steam?
everywhere i looked "prepurchase this" "early access that"...well they updated and now i can filter that stuff out.

ffs escapist when will you let me filter out "anita" "sjw" "gamergate" "zoe" and what not...this forum is an endless cicle of "look what she did now" from one or the other perspective...(whom ever "she" might be in each case)

and screw thundf00t....never seen someone so smug about anything.

K-lusive

May 15, 2014
Diesel- said:
So what would Anita think of Stalker Series? because in entire series there are all male characters. only.
She'd love it, you can't kill or brutalise women if they're not around, can you?

EDIT Captcha: Describe this brand (Pledge) with any word(s)
It bought 'Consuela', lmao

TheGamerElite33

Nov 3, 2011
Here Comes Tomorrow said:
Diesel- said:
Not much because its too obscure, so wouldn't generate enough attention. Theres a reason she only talks about AAA titles.

Also, there is narrative reason why there are no women in The Zone.
well i only like badass manly obsecure games. not mainstream games or girly JRPGs. i dont even play games which has female main characters. guess what anita would think of me. lol