How often do you replay games?

llsaidknockyouout

Feb 12, 2014
I used to make it a habit to replay games as much as possible. I would often replay the game the very next year or even a month later.

Now I've sort have shifted things a bit. I generally wait at least 5 years later to replay a game. First, it allows me to experience different games in the meantime. And second, when I do replay that game, it'll be like experiencing it again for the first time.

zombiejoe

Sep 2, 2009
I'm honestly not someone who replays games often. I love playing games, but once I beat one game, I usually want to move onto another one, and don't feel the need to go through something I've already experienced. Exceptions come from games with a great deal of replay value, such as different endings and different playstyles to experiment with, such as Fallout: New Vegas, Dragon's Dogma, Dark Souls, and even Alpha Protocol.

There's also the rare darlings that I love to at least play a little bit of at least once a year, such as Silent Hill 2 or I Am Alive.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
If I like the game, I'll probably replay it. Sometimes I have enjoyed the second time more than the first time.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
First time is the only time for me. Unless i'm introducing something great to an unsuspecting friend. Even if there are multiple endings/playthroughs, it kind of loses the magic when you know what's coming. Like humour, i cannot stand watching/hearing/telling the same joke multiple times. Laughter is spontaneous, wonder is too...that tea bag can only stand so many sucks before you break down crying in shame and spluttering tea leaves everywhere.
Although the witcher 3 gave me a very shite, depressing ending...almost winking at me as the credits rolled as if to say "yep...that new game plus ain't there for show, sweetcheeks! Now do it properly this time!"
Screw you, witcher 3...you aren't getting to me that way! Geralt will have to remain miserable in headcanon (spoiler alert, Geralt has emotions), but at least he's feeling something. Even if it is despair. Maybe SoulsBorne with their carrot-on-a-stick newgame+ weapons of mass destruction, but i haven't the time to complete even one of those yet. Bah!

Xerosch

Apr 19, 2008
There are some classics that I see with extremely thick nostalgia goggles that I replay regularly. Link the first three 'Thief' games, 'Ratchet & Clank', 'Sly Cooper' and lots of classic Point&Click adventures. I would even go so far and say that most of the time I'm more excited about an HD re-release of something I enjoy than all the new stuff that looks the same.

I don't know if it counts, but I'll be starting my second to fourth playthrough of all Final Fantasy games that were released on Steam (bought FF IX about an hour ago). I completed them on the PS1 at least once and will enjoy the new/higher resolution graphics. I alsp played through Mass Effect 1 to 3 and both Dragon Age games twice to see how being evil affects the story.

Strangley, my replays mostly concentrate on adventures and RPGs. While I love the five Souls-games I wait until all DLC is published and look up the hidden areas, so I don't miss any locales. Doesn't reduce my enjoyment, though.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Does it count that I played Borderlands 2 pretty much exclusively for 2 years?
Lost count how many hours, but I do have 8 characters.

If it does not count:
I revisit Carmageddon on a very regular basis, and each time playing it from scratch.
It has no end game past some overly broken parts that are clearly labeled "cheat" that ruin the races.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Constantly. I get my money back and then some from most games. Its why I never sell games, cause I never know when I will want to play them again. Most of what I use Steam for is replaying games. It boggles my mind when people say they never replay games.

MythicMatt

Phantom of the forum
Feb 4, 2015
I'm on my 18th Fallout: New Vegas character since it was released, this one being the second one so far to come close to any sort of actual set of motives.
But then, it isn't really replaying if I didn't finish the main questline to begin with?

I'll also fire up any given Halo game for the purpose of blitzing levels in coop [Can't coop Halo 5 though, no split screen].

So, I guess whenever I'm not playing through other games, I'm replaying the other games.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
Sometimes. Last game I remember replaying was BioShock Infinite, but that story has so many layers you pretty much need multiple playthroughs to get everything it is trying to say.

For the most part, though, no. When I was younger, I always replayed games. Now that I'm older and am not limited by what my parents are willing to buy me, I tend to move on after finishing a game. Even with Infinite, I never have restarted the game right after finishing. I generally wait at least a few months.

COMaestro

Vae Victis!
May 24, 2010
I used to replay games quite a lot. Now, though, I have such limited time to play games at all, I generally am working on finishing games I own so I can move on to new ones. Right now, for instance, I've just about finished up Dust: An Elysian Tail, which I've owned for a couple of years now but never got around to finishing. I'm also working on completing AC4, which I abandoned a while ago and am just now getting back to.

I would like to replay the Uncharted series before 4 comes out, but I am not sure I'd have the time to finish even one of them before May, much less all three. Plus, they are all in a box somewhere in a storage unit and I just don't feel like going and digging them out right now.

MrBoBo

Jul 23, 2008
Depends on the game. Games like Total War can easily get 500 hours of pkaytime,.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Not very often, but that's probably more due to my habit of not moving on to a new game until I've completely cleaned-out every last bit of content in my current one than anything.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Saelune said:
Constantly. I get my money back and then some from most games. Its why I never sell games, cause I never know when I will want to play them again. Most of what I use Steam for is replaying games. It boggles my mind when people say they never replay games.
Ditto'd (aside from not being on Steam).

To me not replaying a game is a little like listening to an album once then never going back. Like all entertainment/art, games, books, films, music can all be experienced multiple times for all sorts of reasons. Whilst there are some exceptions (depending on the game/film/book/album/etc), I'd argue someone has an incredibly limited understanding of a given work if they've only experienced it once.

There's only a handful of games I've only ever played once (Portal's one that always sticks out), but all tend to get more than one run. Time is always an issue and I play fewer games than most, sure, but I've always preferred to thoroughly explore a game as opposed to just leap to another, and then another. Quality > quantity.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
Darth Rosenberg said:
Saelune said:
Ditto'd (aside from not being on Steam).

To me not replaying a game is a little like listening to an album once then never going back. Like all entertainment/art, games, books, films, music can all be experienced multiple times for all sorts of reasons. Whilst there are some exceptions (depending on the game/film/book/album/etc), I'd argue someone has an incredibly limited understanding of a given work if they've only experienced it once.

There's only a handful of games I've only ever played once (Portal's one that always sticks out), but all tend to get more than one run. Time is always an issue and I play fewer games than most, sure, but I've always preferred to thoroughly explore a game as opposed to just leap to another, and then another. Quality > quantity.
Third'd. Ditto'd on not using steam.

I rarely finish a game since I always seem to come to a certain point when I feel like I know how it will continue or end and I simply loose interest in playing and experience a feeling of pointlessness.

Those games I do finish I tend to replay again and again, interspersed with fresh and old unfinished meat...games.
<spoiler=Replayable games>Anachronox, Freelancer, Beyond Good & Evil, EV Nova, Fallout 2, Dungeon Siege II, Diablo II, Harbinger, Titan Quest IT, Torchlight II, Vampire tMB, Arcanum~, Startopia and 4X games...and any I forgot to mention,

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Rarely.

Once I finish the game, I moved onto the next since I got a big list of games to played.

I tend to go back into a game if it got extra content after the main story is done or challange mode.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
It depends on the game. Every few years I'll replay Deus Ex: HR, Timesplitters, Call of Duty 4 and Saints Row 2.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Depends on replayability. Recently, I beat Dark Souls about 4 times before I got so overly familiar with the world that I knew it was time to move on. I'll probably come back to it in the near future. So many builds and weapon specializations to try out.

There are also other factors, like how story-heavy the game is. I had a blast playing Persona 4, but I never get around to playing New Game+ because I cringe at the thought of going through the entire story and all of the dialogue again, right after finishing it.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I don't replay games too terribly often. If it's a game that I really, REALLY liked than I'm more likely to replay it. Then there are games that I'll want to re-play because I've played their sequel or reboot. The only games I really re-play without that kind of influence are things like Legend of Zelda (Link to the Past and Link Between Worlds) and Final Fantasy (IV, VI and, IX). If I played a game some time ago but didn't beat it I'll be more inclined to try that game again. I wouldn't let games like Skyward Sword or FF13 beat ME because fuck those games. I'm better than those games and I proved it by beating THEM. Then there's my let's play experiment (not a plug) which is the main reason I'm re-playing gen-1 Pokemon and probably other games in the future.

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
I don't replay games that I've found fun, interesting and/or engaging, but nothing else.

Games that made me fall in love with them(such as Final Fantasy X and Persona 4), however, I will replay at least once ot twice more.