How often to do you clean/dust off your console(s) and controllers?

How often to do you clean/dust off your console(s)?

• Yes, everyday or almost ever week.

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Every 2 weeks.

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Once or Twice a Month.

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Once A Year.

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Rarely or Never

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • You can clean these things?

Votes: 4 18.2%

• Total voters

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I try to clean the consoles I use at least every couple of weeks. What about you guys and gals?

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands

Well uh... I do clean them like every once in a while if like I feel it's dirty...
It's not very often at all...

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
When Lysol wipes were still available I gave them a wipe down every couple weeks, which is about my normal dusting schedule overall. Now they just get dusted, but only myself or occasionally wifey uses them anyway.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
A quick dusting once a week, a more thorough wiping every month or so. As for my PC, my dad once gave me a small air compressor meant for inflating car tires, but it honestly gets more use blowing out my case ever two months or so.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
When Lysol wipes were still available I gave them a wipe down every couple weeks, which is about my normal dusting schedule overall. Now they just get dusted, but only myself or occasionally wifey uses them anyway.
If you go to certain dollar stores or Target, there's electronic/glasses/TV screen wipes that work just as well. Luckily, a friend of my father's got us some Clorox wipes. If not wipes, there are alternate methods. Use some dust spray or funiture polish. Don't spray on the consoles or controllers directly. Get some paper towels, spray lightlty on the pt themselves, and start wiping on the consoles. It will help a lot.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
If you go to certain dollar stores or Target, there's electronic/glasses/TV screen wipes that work just as well. Luckily, a friend of my father's got us some Clorox wipes. If not wipes, there are alternate methods. Use some dust spray or funiture polish. Don't spray on the consoles or controllers directly. Get some paper towels, spray lightlty on the pt themselves, and start wiping on the consoles. It will help a lot.
Yeah we’ve been using the Hydrogen peroxide spray with toweling for most everyday stuff, but haven’t used it with the controllers. Mostly our phones whenever we got out. It’s nice because it doesn’t leave residue.

lil devils x

🐐More Lego Goats Please!🐐
Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
MY consoles that are currently hooked up get cleaned every week with my regular dusting. I give them a good cleaning about every couple of months with air can and alcohol. Controllers OTOH I clean with alcohol daily when using them. Though usually the controllers wind up needing surgery due to crappy joysticks anyhow and when I take them apart to repair them they get a deep cleaning and come out looking like new. If the console sits there for years in use, every once in a while I take the case off and clean the insides as well because you can't really get inside the vent areas really well otherwise.

The rest of my ridiculous amount of consoles are deep cleaned, inside and out before stored in with silica packs to keep the moisture out so they come out looking like new when I decide to get them out of the box. You should save those silica moisture absorbing packs from like new shoe boxes and in medicine jars and use them when storing your electronics. If you are storing old retro cartridge consoles and games, it is always a good idea to put large sealed silica packs in the cartridge slot itself to keep the metal connectors from corroding inside there. They come out looking like new no matter how long I have them in there when I do that. Be sure NOT to put too small ones down there and get them stuck though because it is a pain to get them back out again! ( Did that once HAHA!). Use the small ones instead in the cartridges themselves where the metal connectors are so they do not corrode either.

Moisture ALWAYS seems to find a way into storage boxes even when you do not see any and it think it not possible, also sealed up plastic is the worst with trapping it in there and causing corrosion ( like plastic storage boxes) so don't ever store electronics in there without something to absorb moisture or they will be useless when you take them out later.

I have a habit of taking everything I own apart and working on it so I may go a bit overboard with my cleaning. It is just when you think something is clean, then you open it and go "OMG how did cat hair get inside there and did my brother SERIOUSLY get the chips he was eating INSIDE MY CONSOLE while he was here? WTF? I should go trash his house and see how HE likes it!". Often you do not realize how dirty it really is until you open it. XD

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
A quick dusting once a week, a more thorough wiping every month or so. As for my PC, my dad once gave me a small air compressor meant for inflating car tires, but it honestly gets more use blowing out my case ever two months or so.
I agree air works best for dusting electronics. I built all my desktops so I use the air regularly, but sometimes I still have to take it apart and give all the fans and heat sink a really good cleaning with 90% alcohol and tweezers because I have cats and the one with long hair sheds like crazy and the hair gets sucked in there and gets wrapped up in the fans along with my own long hair . When I take apart the fans, I have to wonder where all that dust came from. I use air purifiers in every room but I guess the dust gets sucked up into the computer before the air purifiers can get rid of it.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Cleaning the top of the console? Whenever it gets dirty.

Cleaning the inside of the console? Pretty much never.

I'd really LIKE to, but console manufacturers make it a huge pain in the ass to actually open these things and do maintenance on them. The reason my PS4 sounds like a jet taking off is because the fan inside is clogged with dust and I can't open it to clean it out without buying special screw drivers.

Yet another reason PCs are better. They're much easier to clean and maintain and are actually meant to be opened.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Cleaning the top of the console? Whenever it gets dirty.

I'd really LIKE to, but console manufacturers make it a huge pain in the ass to actually open these things and do maintenance on them. The reason my PS4 sounds like a jet taking off is because the fan inside is clogged with dust and I can't open it to clean it out without buying special screw drivers.

Yet another reason PCs are better. They're much easier to clean and maintain and are actually meant to be opened.
PCs also have adequate ventilation. When consoles try to do this, people complain. "It's too big. The grill is ugly!" Everything is crammed so tight in consoles.

Reactions: gorfias

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I usually never clean the inside, because I clean the outside so often. I think even when you clean the inside of a PS4 or Pro, they still sound like jet engines when graphic heavy games or Capcom games that use the RE Engine.

Reactions: gorfias

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I usually never clean the inside, because I clean the outside so often. I think even when you clean the inside of a PS4 or Pro, they still sound like jet engines when graphic heavy games or Capcom games that use the RE Engine.
Actually, dusting the outside of your PS4 causes a significant amount of the dust to go back into the air, and then get sucked back into the console.

If you've had your PS4 since launch, and never cleaned the inside this is how it probably looks now:

1599424563515.png

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I usually wipe it off with a hand towel once every two weeks.

Though sometimes I put hand prints on it and pretend there's a GHOooOOoost in my house.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Actually, dusting the outside of your PS4 causes a significant amount of the dust to go back into the air, and then get sucked back into the console.

If you've had your PS4 since launch, and never cleaned the inside this is how it probably looks now:

Interesting. I got my PS4 during my 26th birthday in 2015.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
What for? A little bit of dust sitting on them doesn't hurt them. All the cartridge based ones have dust covers so it can't get on the connections

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
What for? A little bit of dust sitting on them doesn't hurt them. All the cartridge based ones have dust covers so it can't get on the connections
On the outside isn;t as much of a concern as it is on the inside:

Your consoles have even less ventilation than a desktop PC, so can also overheat easier when bogged down with dust inside.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
Consoles about once a month but controllers every time I play. I have a naturally high body temperature and especially during fighting games my hands sweat a ton so the controllers would end a mess if I don't wipe them down regularly. Oftentimes I even end up having to do it multiple times per session because it just gets too slippery.