How old were you when you had your first cigarette?

Mcupobob

Jun 29, 2009
17 outside a church my friend dragged me to for youth group or something like that. Someone was passing a smoke around in circle and I decided it to give it try. After a couple of puffs, got the an indescribable body high, threw up after though when I got home. But slowly I kept chasing that high getting it here and there every now and then from the occasional smoke in till I bought a pack after that was hooked haven't quite since. Trying an E-cig now, funnily enough I got one of those high nicotine juices once and got the same high from the first time I smoke though it jacked up my tolerance so bad, my e-cig broke and I went back to smoking analog only to find I need a pack a day to get through.

Got a new and my tolerance is back to normal. Sticking on the low end of nicotine now to ween myself off.

EDIT: Oh and since everyone is telling Family stories, everyone in my family smoked or had smoked at one point. Well most of them! My great-grandmother died at the age of 80 something recently not from Cancer or smoke related disease it was some kind of clot I think all she had to do was walk around but decide it was her time. Would bark at the nurses to take her out for smoke, died at an old age smoking Virgina slims like a boss. Great aunt got to be mid-60's now still a smoker and no health problems. My grand Father used to smoke a carton a day, freak'in carton a day! He quit with the patch. Mom and Dad smoked. My family doesn't have a history of Cancer, but got longevity and addiction so I plan dieing old with my vices.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I don't remember. Late teens. Fortunately, I never grew that fond of it, haven't smoked more than a dozen cigarettes in my lifetime, and haven't smoked at all in more than a decade. It's a little nauseating to me, especially mixed with alcohol.

klown

Jun 6, 2012
I was 13, about 4 minutes later an ambulance was called because I couldn't breath. My lungs started to seize up and the EMT had to give me Epinephrin. Haven't smoked sense.

Michael826

Aug 17, 2009
Don't understand the appeal. I've smoked one cigarette in my life, and I vomited rather magnificently.

As far as I'm concerned they're just expensive death sticks. That said, I'm not bothered by people who do smoke. Go nuts, just preferably not right next to me.

SpAc3man

Jul 26, 2009
I spent about 6 months of my life as a 5 year old seeing my grandmother nearly every day as the cancer in her lungs slowly killed her. That was accompanied by and followed with witnessing the grief that my mother went through.

I am never in my life going to smoke and I am going to make damn well sure that any kids I ever have are completely ingrained with the same attitudes towards smoking as I have.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
I never have and I never will.

Same goes for illegal drugs as well. I got that stupid personality quirk from youth that makes kids do illegal things because they think it looks "cool" or that it will somehow impress people they hangout with or want to hangout with.

The only impairing substance I've had is alcohol. And the amount is only around two beers and a couple glasses of wine a year at certain family get togethers.

My dad use to smoke, and that probably is one reason I didn't think about doing so, because couldn't fathom purposefully inhaling something that smells so foul and does so much damage to the body.

Though, I'm very happy to say my dad quit smoking around ten years ago.

J-meMalone

Jan 11, 2009
I first smoked at age 19, while quite drunk and curious about what the fuss was about. I didn't see it...

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
The self-righteousness in this thread is enough to make me gag more than any amount of smoke ever could.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Was 16 iirc and a was a peer pressure thing where i relied on cigarettes to facilitate socialibity.

Even though now i don't smoke unless its for special occasions, i still keep a lighter and cigs on me as easy conversation starters. I'm happy with my relationship with smoking, i have 0 addiction and craving for it and can go months without smoking before smoking a couple in 1 night because it was the "right" occassion.

Way i see it, i get best of both worlds this way as not even the most fervent anti smoking buzzkill can tell im a smoker (since i do it so rarely you're hardly gonna be able to smell smoke on me are ya? :p) so don't get avoided by those lot, and smokers dont see me as buzzkill and tend to respect my ability to smoke when i want rather then being forced to by my cravings.

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
Buretsu said:
My aunt just died of lung cancer she got from smoking for the last 50-some years, since she was about 13. So, yeah, I certainly never will start.

But, by all means, smokers. Keep killing yourselves. I'll be left to spit on your graves.
Well fuck you too.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
Mcupobob said:
My family doesn't have a history of Cancer, but got longevity and addiction so I plan dieing old with my vices.
Agreed, it's rather odd. Cancer due to smoking seems to be all about genes and luck (or just luck, genes being a bit of a lottery as it is). My grandparents smoked alot (like pretty much everyone back then) and never had complications from it, and my dad smoked ungodly amounts, probably about thirty per day (filterless, handrolled ones at that). But his lungs were relatively fine once he bought it (due to an accident, not half a century of smoking), and so were most of the things that smoking usually messes up for you. Moves in mysterious ways, et cetera.

Buretsu said:
But, by all means, smokers. Keep killing yourselves. I'll be left to spit on your graves.
And since I'm apparently such an awful subhuman creature that I deserve that treatment, my horrible husk of horribleness will very likely reanimate out of pure spite, raize from the grave and claw you. Good day.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
Buretsu said:
Oh how nice. You'll spit on my grave for me making a personal choice and killing myself. Okay, thanks bud.

OT: The thread title is How old were you when you had your first cigarette not, please tell us how you've never smoked and condemn people who do.

The amount of self righteousness in this thread is enough to gag on.

See what I did thar

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
Doctor Merkwurdiglie said:
14. My mother gave me the strongest cigarette so I'd hate it.
It worked. First and last cigarette I ever smoked, and I now hate them with a passion.
You sure you don't want to rethink that statement? Hate is a really strong word, let alone hate with a passion.

I love your avatar btw

thejackyl

Apr 16, 2008
I haven't, never saw the appeal. Doesn't help that I watched two of my grandparents slowly die from lung cancer. Both of which didn't smoke.

neversleep

Dec 4, 2009
On my 18th after smoking my first joint on a (big, as in Daft Punk played there that year) music festival that takes place near my home. I couldn't sleep went back home stole a cig of my mum and it tasted perfect. Have been smoking for a couple of years now and it does get less awesome. Still like weed though, easy high and no hangovers unless you really overdo it. (don't agree with people going smoke weed every day,though)