How similar is Mass Effect: Andromeda to Inquisition?

PhoenixMaster

Apr 3, 2017
Hello there Escapists! I thought I make an account real quick to ask this question regarding Mass Effect: Andromeda. To those who played both games, how similar is Mass Effect: Andromeda to Dragon Age: Inquisition? By that I mean, how similar are they in terms of gameplay? I grew bored of Inquisition's mundane semi-open world zones, tedious fetch quests, leveling system, and combat. I honestly could care less about bad animations or a poorly written story if the game isn't a bore to go through. I seen some gameplay videos of Mass Effect: Andromeda, and I fear it looks way to much like Dragon Age: Inquisition. But I don't want to judge something so soon based off on a few snippets of gameplay from a youtube video. Thank you!

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
Basically, if you liked ME3's multiplayer, congratulations, they made a single-player version of it.

Long and short of it is that the gameplay itself is alright, but ability usage, squaddie tactics, etc. are all either streamlined to hell and back or may as well not be in the game for how little control or use you have of them.

Dialogue and anything involving actual voice work is absolutely shit though.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Redryhno said:
Dialogue and anything involving actual voice work is absolutely shit though.
In the past month I replayed the first three games, and yeah, the animations are just as bad (barring the really, really shitty ones in Andromeda), but the voice acting in the trilogy more or less matches the animations. The voice actors in Andromeda try too hard to be quirky and unique, they make the animations look even shittier. Like when Sara Ryder tries flirting with the red haired chick. Its like the animations were made for longer dialogue, and they cut it down to match the speed of her awkward flirting.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Andromeda has all the problems of Inquisition that you mentioned, but they've been scaled back or mitigated. But sadly not excised entirely.

So while DA:I was like eating a bucket of dogshit ME:A is more akin to having to eat a mere bowl of dogshit. Easier to choke down, but doesn't taste any better.

On the plus side, the combat is alright and the leveling system is a nice improvement. Also, you can look out the window of your spaceship.

PhoenixMaster

Apr 3, 2017
Zhukov said:
Andromeda has all the problems of Inquisition that you mentioned, but they've been scaled back or mitigated. But sadly not excised entirely.

So while DA:I was like eating a bucket of dogshit ME:A is more akin to having to eat a mere bowl of dogshit. Easier to choke down, but doesn't taste any better.

On the plus side, the combat is alright and the leveling system is a nice improvement. Also, you can look out the window of your spaceship.
That's a bit unfortunate to hear. Mind you, I never played previous Bioware games aside from Dragon Age 2 and Inquisition, but I know that Inquisition was their first attempt at some kind of open world setting. I tried to keep an open mind when they said they learned their lesson with the filler content from Inquisition and they said they took some cues from The Witcher 3 when it came to side quests. I do like open wold games like Skyrim and The Witcher 3. But Inquisition just didn't click with me.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
It's more or less the same except the combat is exponentially better. It's fast and mobile, the environment really matters, the squad AI is smarter and ability usage matters more.

But otherwise everything is about on the same level. The quest are slightly better integrated into the story as it's about making the planet more viable, but it's not that big a difference. Animation, writing, voice acting are for the most better pretty mediocre with the occasional good parts, but those are more the exception rather than the rules.

You play ME:A for the combat and the pretty environment, nothing else is really worth the detour.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
undeadsuitor said:
As far as story goes

A vague villain with a vague master plan that is able to use ancient magic technology (that the protagonist also has the ability to use) and supported by evil versions of allies attempt to use technology to remake the galaxy for their own personal conquest
The world building gets better towards the end, but people are usually checked out by then.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
undeadsuitor said:
MCerberus said:
undeadsuitor said:
As far as story goes

A vague villain with a vague master plan that is able to use ancient magic technology (that the protagonist also has the ability to use) and supported by evil versions of allies attempt to use technology to remake the galaxy for their own personal conquest
The world building gets better towards the end, but people are usually checked out by then.
Yeah. The remnant is clearly the most interesting part of the story, but it takes so long to get there if you happen to complete side quests like me that it's almost worthless
You also get more information about the main bad faction in the last third which would have made me care if they were upfront about it.

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
undeadsuitor said:
MCerberus said:
undeadsuitor said:
MCerberus said:
undeadsuitor said:
As far as story goes

Yeah. The remnant is clearly the most interesting part of the story, but it takes so long to get there if you happen to complete side quests like me that it's almost worthless
You also get more information about the main bad faction in the last third which would have made me care if they were upfront about it.
Mhmm. And without that, they're too much like the reaper forces from 3 to be unique (as in, their troops are clearly modeled off existing races with their own special powers)

The first cutscene where the archon is trying to mimic Alec to start the tower sets a high bar as far as feelings go, that they then squander for most of the game.

Like whats-his-face in Inquisition
What's sad is how forgettable Corypheus is given that they had so much to work due to the lore around him. Like the in-universe myths and importance around what he did should have culminated in a much better villain.

And yeah the kett in Andromeda are like a much lesser Reaper threat there. Significantly less menacing, boring, and they honestly seem utterly incompetent. You just mostly kick them off Eos with little trouble, they aren't much of a big deal on Voeld, they got taken care of on the exile planet pretty easy...

Like maybe they plan to do something with the Kett but really should have thrown people a bit more interesting info and a sign of uniqueness in this game right now instead of planning it for later

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
The Decapitated Centaur said:
undeadsuitor said:
MCerberus said:
undeadsuitor said:
MCerberus said:
undeadsuitor said:
As far as story goes

Mhmm. And without that, they're too much like the reaper forces from 3 to be unique (as in, their troops are clearly modeled off existing races with their own special powers)

The first cutscene where the archon is trying to mimic Alec to start the tower sets a high bar as far as feelings go, that they then squander for most of the game.

What's sad is how forgettable Corypheus is given that they had so much to work due to the lore around him. Like the in-universe myths and importance around what he did should have culminated in a much better villain.

And yeah the kett in Andromeda are like a much lesser Reaper threat there. Significantly less menacing, boring, and they honestly seem utterly incompetent. You just mostly kick them off Eos with little trouble, they aren't much of a big deal on Voeld, they got taken care of on the exile planet pretty easy...

Like maybe they plan to do something with the Kett but really should have thrown people a bit more interesting info and a sign of uniqueness in this game right now instead of planning it for later
Think it's a case of hoarding information for big reveals. If they had gotten to the decent stuff first
Imagine if, after Eos, they kick off the Kett civil war concept. The archon and his toys lost them a planet, time to get going. Gives an in to funnel lore, explains their passiveness towards the nexus (we're busy, okay). Kicks off a flurry of activity the Resistance has to deal with (Kett getting "new recruits") allowing you to swoop in and do stuff without the Angara look like incompetent rubes.

In the game as written, none of the big 4 Kett ever have the time to become characters. This wouldn't help the Cardinal or Sword, but hey. It would also make "the offer" not sound so stupid. Yah, sure they're still mini-reapers but they have a culture, religion, and a chance to have an arbiter-like character in the sequel (and really, it would be like the Covenant world building that saved Halo 2). We already have the mystery tech dudes, let the Kett BE SOMETHING

Dansen

Master Lurker
Mar 24, 2010
undeadsuitor said:
MCerberus said:
undeadsuitor said:
MCerberus said:
undeadsuitor said:
As far as story goes

Comparing Kett to Reapers is being a bit generous. They are more like collectors that can talk. I have yet to attack the command ship so I don't know anything about their origin or motives yet. But I get the impression that they are a "manufactured" race. Honestly, I would have preferred that they were just a hostile race in its infancy of galactic travel. It would be more interesting as it could bring up a lot of ethical dilemmas for the initiative.

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
MCerberus said:
undeadsuitor said:
MCerberus said:
undeadsuitor said:
MCerberus said:
undeadsuitor said:
As far as story goes

Think it's a case of hoarding information for big reveals. If they had gotten to the decent stuff first
Imagine if, after Eos, they kick off the Kett civil war concept. The archon and his toys lost them a planet, time to get going. Gives an in to funnel lore, explains their passiveness towards the nexus (we're busy, okay). Kicks off a flurry of activity the Resistance has to deal with (Kett getting "new recruits") allowing you to swoop in and do stuff without the Angara look like incompetent rubes.

In the game as written, none of the big 4 Kett ever have the time to become characters. This wouldn't help the Cardinal or Sword, but hey. It would also make "the offer" not sound so stupid. Yah, sure they're still mini-reapers but they have a culture, religion, and a chance to have an arbiter-like character in the sequel (and really, it would be like the Covenant world building that saved Halo 2). We already have the mystery tech dudes, let the Kett BE SOMETHING
Agree completely with your ideas there really. Usually I don't think much of alternate story plans, but yeah I think that would have shored up the very lacking story concerning the Kett. Because all the elements are hinted at being there but they really really needed a way to show them in a manner that made the Kett a species with some depth. And like I have a feeling they plan to later but that made this game feel very lacking in that regard.

An insight into their sort of culture and reasons for their fanaticism would have been great really. And like of their government, because even that is hinted at.

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
Dansen said:
undeadsuitor said:
MCerberus said:
undeadsuitor said:
MCerberus said:
undeadsuitor said:
As far as story goes

Comparing Kett to Reapers is being a bit generous. They are more like collectors that can talk. I have yet to attack the command ship so I don't know anything about their origin or motives yet. But I get the impression that they are a "manufactured" race. Honestly, I would have preferred that they were just a hostile race in its infancy of galactic travel. It would be more interesting as it could bring up a lot of ethical dilemmas for the initiative.
Ah yah the attack will give a bit more context to the comparison.

But yeah I do think that sort of idea would have had more potential content to it and it would have felt a bit less like strange fantasy enemies that fight you because they're fantasy enemies.

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
PhoenixMaster said:
Hello there Escapists! I thought I make an account real quick to ask this question regarding Mass Effect: Andromeda. To those who played both games, how similar is Mass Effect: Andromeda to Dragon Age: Inquisition? By that I mean, how similar are they in terms of gameplay? I grew bored of Inquisition's mundane semi-open world zones, tedious fetch quests, leveling system, and combat. I honestly could care less about bad animations or a poorly written story if the game isn't a bore to go through. I seen some gameplay videos of Mass Effect: Andromeda, and I fear it looks way to much like Dragon Age: Inquisition. But I don't want to judge something so soon based off on a few snippets of gameplay from a youtube video. Thank you!
Read my review http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.948445-Mass-Effect-Andromeda-Review

It goes over a lot of the pros/cons of the game.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
You know, I actually liked DA:I, but could not deny many of its flaws. I thought "Maybe BW will learn from this"....I was wrong. Somehow, they made it worse.

The way you travel to new system and planets is tedious. Why am I forced to watch the ship going into hyperspace, then zoom in then out on the planet I want to go to? Also, if we could play as multiple race in DA:I, why couldn't we do it in this game? With the background lore being selected individuals from each race were chosen to be part of initiative, this was a perfect opportunity to play as other races. Also, they seriously couldn't have a decent multiplayer instead of horde mode? 5v5 Kett vs initiative? WTF?

The last thing I want to say is that this game has exact same exploration method as DA:I. Dark areas uncovered by FT points? Check. White Icons that changes color once you do sutff there? Check. Similar way to gather materials for crafting? Check. It's fun, but i wsh they had done more.

This is DA:I in space, with aliens instead of fantasy races and biotics instead of magic. I think they played it way too safe