How terrible a person am I for wanting to opt out of invasions in Dark Souls?

Uratoh

Jun 10, 2011
I know the common response is 'take the good with the bad' and I do like being able to summon help, or see all the messages, death replays, etc...but I've only had *ONE* good battle with an invader, the rest of the time it's been an unending barrage of people either backstabbing me from the near front due to the lag issues, having such high stats I can't possibly touch them (the stat hacking is apparently highly prevalant for the PC version...) or them having set up a blatent 'trolling' position, such as hanging out with the basilisks in the Depths so any attempts to actually go in and get them will result in death due to difficult enemy set AND the player with his setup. And of course, you can't ignore them...since the area locks down. I'm seriously considering entering offline mode and never returning...I've beaten the game once, I'll miss the tips etc, and miss leaving them...but really...WHY is it like this?

Kururu999

Mar 14, 2011
Because people enjoy waving their epeens on the internet. Just go offline and hang with sunbro, you won't miss a fucking thing.

DarkShadow144

Nov 16, 2010
Not at all. The option is there and that is all it is, an option. If you want to play online with the tips and risk invasion, go nuts. If you just want to play it for fun then play offline. I didn't play online (console) until I felt I was ready for it (which was about my 5th playthrough), and even then I didn't play online a lot because it was mostly lagers that would backstab me half way across the room.

ShinyCharizard

Oct 24, 2012
DarkShadow144 said:
Not at all. The option is there and that is all it is, an option. If you want to play online with the tips and risk invasion, go nuts. If you just want to play it for fun then play offline. I didn't play online (console) until I felt I was ready for it (which was about my 5th playthrough), and even then I didn't play online a lot because it was mostly lagers that would backstab me half way across the room.
Exactly. The invasion mode is a good idea in principle but the horrendous lag pretty much kills it for me. Getting backstabbed with your shield up and facing your opponent isn't fun at all.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
I don't play online.

And it's like that because that's what always inevitably happens in multi-player games: People hack it or glitch it or exploit it. Because there is a significant portion of people in the world who get their jollies by trolling other people. I don't understand it myself, because I feel it's more satisfying to defeat somebody who actually stood a chance of beating you, but what do I know?

You can still summon a few NPC phantoms to help you if you're human offline, though they are few and far between, so all you really lose are all of the messages and whatnot (and I'm sure a good number of those were left by people looking to troll, too) or going into other peoples' worlds.

Rylot

May 14, 2010
Wow, glad I'm not the only one. Yeah, I suck too bad so anytime I play online and reverse hollow I'm just bleeding humanity. The game is frustrating and difficult enough with out griefers.

TrevHead

Apr 10, 2011
If the other player is just hiding or grouping with monsters looking for easy kills rather than meeting me face to face I just reset my machine.

I only have the 360 version and from the looks of it, it seems the PC version has more than it's fair share of gankers and douches

daveman247

Jan 20, 2012
Hm i don't play on pc but i've had a few good fights against invaders. Including a time i had summoned two VERY POWERFUL helpers. Haha that guy got a shock. If i dont feel like being invaded i just remain hollow (they can only invade when you are human). And i still get to see the help messages and death things :p Failing that scramble for followers to assist or keep some banish stones (or were they scrolls?) handy.

I've never heard of the level locking down though. Whenever i wanted to leave the area i could and it automatically just booted invaders.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
"So hey, our game has this awesome mechanic where people with much better stats and gear can just teleport into your game and kill you, robbing you of progress and XP in the process. Awesome!"

Yeah, fuck that.

My tactic was to wait until they were in sight, then just yank the internet cable.

Sqwearl

Mar 3, 2010
If you don't want to be invaded but still want to see/leave/rate messages, you could just play through areas while you're dead so you can't be attacked. I would also suggest putting on a full helmet to cover your shrunken face.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
It's because that's what the game is. It's difficult, uncompromising, and you have to meet it on its terms. I concede that at this stage, a lot of the invasions you will get are people who have done an SL1 run or at the very least know how to become powerful at a low level, and that is an unfortunate side-effect of the system. Furthermore, a lot of the invaders are people who know their way around, and have already defeated the Four Kings and joined the Darkwraiths, meaning that early on invaders are almost inherently powerful. The game does give you four Cracked Red Eye Orbs right at the beginning to encourage PvP at a low level and at low progression through the game, but the reality is people want to give themselves an advantage, and I don't blame them for that considering it costs them a humanity to invade.

Look...I like the mechanic, and part of the game is this unexpected invasion. It only occurs when you're human because you can summon help as easily as you can be invaded. Unfortunately, I'm also against the ability to opt out because one, you're not playing the game as it was intended, and two, you're limiting the pool of people who can be invaded. I think if you're going to summon white phantoms you take the chance of being invaded, simple as that.

I have a solution for you though. Join the Way of White covenant. It's the first one in the game, through Petrus, so most new players take advantage of it without even knowing, but the effect is if someone is invaded, Way of White members will only be invaded if there are no players of other covenants available. You're essentially last on the list for invaders. Furthermore, it improves your ability to summon other Way of White members, Sunbros and Princess Guards, so it's basically ideal for you. It's virtually useless for all other intents and purposes.

Furthermore, a necessary evil in my eyes that circumvents a mechanic of the game for practical reasons but anyway, you have a Black Seperation Crystal that will send home any phantoms you want allowing you to get rid of invaders as soon as they turn up. Use it if you must.

tl;dr: The worst kind of terrible person.

lapan

Jan 23, 2009
While i had some encounters with cheaters, min-maxers and the like it never once promted me to quit out on them or go completely offline. I'd have missed out on funny times like getting them to roll of roofs or dueling them with each of us wearing double shields. Once you know where you can easily farm new humanities death isn't a big deal anymore.

Uratoh said:
And of course, you can't ignore them...since the area locks down.
You can actually get away from them, you just have to enter the bossdoor. They will automatically be disconnected from your game. Alternatively you could look for summon signs. Few invaders can handle being tagteamed.

If you don't want to deal with them at all you can either stay hollow (which still enables you to see and leave messages) or go offline.

MeChaNiZ3D said:
Furthermore, a necessary evil in my eyes that circumvents a mechanic of the game for practical reasons but anyway, you have a Black Seperation Crystal that will send home any phantoms you want allowing you to get rid of invaders as soon as they turn up. Use it if you must.
Doesn't work on invaders. You can use it to banish white/gold phantoms or to leave a world if you ARE the invader.

TrevHead

Apr 10, 2011
IIRC if you keep a homeward bone in your quickslot it acts as a indicator to invasion since you can't use it.

Cracker3011

May 7, 2009

Sorry.

In seriousness, not really, although I thought people played Dark Souls specifically FOR the challenge, including the constant threat of invasion. I could be wrong though.

Boris Goodenough

Jul 15, 2009
you have an opt out

I pull mine when I don't care for dying while i am kindling or just finished with it.

Fractral

Tentacle God
Feb 28, 2012
Well, since GFWL doesn't let me play online I've never been able to access features like that, but in all honesty I think I prefer that. Because having people come into my game and ruin my stuff? Yeah, screw that. Same reason why I only play on heavily moderated Minecraft servers.
Although not being able to summon help for the bosses is a pain too.

Ren_Li

Mar 7, 2012
I don't have a constant internet connection to my 360 at home.
When I went to my friends' house and was playing online, I was invaded twice. One time I was slaughtered by someone far more advanced than I- literally slaughtered. The other time was, again, someone with high stats and kickass gear (I was right near the very beginning of the game both times) and he basically just ran around and wasn't even trying to fight. He was just being an idiot, and of course, I couldn't just get on with the game with him in my world. I ended up just standing in a corner near the bonfire and waiting for FIFTEEN. MINUTES.

Seriously. What's the point in that? I'm not sad about playing offline. Invasions SOUND interesting (or at least, they would if I didn't know that I'm actually kind of a shitty player who will constantly get slaughtered), but in practice, they don't seem to work.

Gunner 51

Jun 21, 2009
Zhukov said:
"So hey, our game has this awesome mechanic where people with much better stats and gear can just teleport into your game and kill you, robbing you of progress and XP in the process. Awesome!"

Yeah, fuck that.

My tactic was to wait until they were in sight, then just yank the internet cable.
You sir, are a man after my own heart. I thought I was the only one who did that.
The only difference is that I laugh maniacally when I do it. There's nothing quite like picturing the look on your e-bully's face when you deny them souls and cost them a little humanity in the process.