How terrible a person am I for wanting to opt out of invasions in Dark Souls?

Baron von Blitztank

May 7, 2010
Cracker3011 said:

Sorry.

In seriousness, not really, although I thought people played Dark Souls specifically FOR the challenge, including the constant threat of invasion. I could be wrong though.
What anime is that from? One image alone has made me genuinely curious.

OT: It doesn't make you terrible in the slightest. It just means that you're a person who doesn't want to have their game interrupted by some prick coming in with the intentions of ruining your shit. Fortunately my internet connection on my PS3 is absolute shit so by the time my connection is made (for about 5 minutes), I've already jumped into Offline mode so I can make progress without any of the unnecessary bullshit

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
I hate everyone on the internet[1] so playing solo is the way to go.

[1] The Try Hard thread

SantoUno

Aug 13, 2009
Uratoh said:
I know the common response is 'take the good with the bad' and I do like being able to summon help, or see all the messages, death replays, etc...but I've only had *ONE* good battle with an invader, the rest of the time it's been an unending barrage of people either backstabbing me from the near front due to the lag issues, having such high stats I can't possibly touch them (the stat hacking is apparently highly prevalant for the PC version...) or them having set up a blatent 'trolling' position, such as hanging out with the basilisks in the Depths so any attempts to actually go in and get them will result in death due to difficult enemy set AND the player with his setup. And of course, you can't ignore them...since the area locks down. I'm seriously considering entering offline mode and never returning...I've beaten the game once, I'll miss the tips etc, and miss leaving them...but really...WHY is it like this?
Not sure what you mean by the "area locks down". The way I see it is that you have to quickly rush to the boss arena to eject the invaader. If you are still at the start this may be a ***** but it's still a fun part of the game's challenge in my eyes.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
Baron von Blitztank said:
Cracker3011 said:

Sorry.

In seriousness, not really, although I thought people played Dark Souls specifically FOR the challenge, including the constant threat of invasion. I could be wrong though.
That's Girls und Panzer. Not finished yet, 2 episodes are still to air due to production schedule slips, but it's one of those "so weird it's actually kinda cool" things. Especially when a bunch of the ladies spontaneously break out into singing Katyusha in proper Russian sometime along the line.

And in order to not derail, I'm one of those cheapskates who prefer to not get invaded all the time. I just see nothing of value added to my game that way, really. I mean, if I was an evil overlord I'd not get pissed off at heroes for demolishing my evil fortress, but I'd be quite ticked about them bothering me while I'm trying to enjoy a good read in peace!

Exius Xavarus

Casually hardcore. :}
May 19, 2010
I played offline and hung out with Solaire. Because Solaire is a bro.

Also, I played offline because I didn't care much for the online mechanics. I'm awful at pvp and I didn't like staying hollow or in soul form. So offline I went.

thesilentman

What this
Jun 14, 2012
Not at all, OP. For me, playing at an unlocked FPS beats playing against pricks. Especially when said pricks use a Demon's Great Hammer on your ass along with a Black Knight Halberd. Did I mention that they have Havel's armor equipped?

Cracker3011

May 7, 2009
Baron von Blitztank said:
Cracker3011 said:

Sorry.

OT: It doesn't make you terrible in the slightest. It just means that you're a person who doesn't want to have their game interrupted by some prick coming in with the intentions of ruining your shit. Fortunately my internet connection on my PS3 is absolute shit so by the time my connection is made (for about 5 minutes), I've already jumped into Offline mode so I can make progress without any of the unnecessary bullshit
Girls Und Panzer, my friend. In short, the premise is japanese schoolgirls engaged in tank warfare as part of their education. AND IT IS AWESOME.

Crunchyroll's got it for free, but the above image is one of the unofficial translations, sadly.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
MiracleOfSound said:
I jumped off a cliff every time some prick invaded my game.
Never thought of that, will have to give it a try now and then. As I suck at the game and progress is slow for me, but I still like to play it, I hate having these really strong people muscle in and ruin my day.

nexus

May 30, 2012
The only time I died to invasion was the time I thought it was a special NPC coming at me. Woah, what's that? Turns out it was a person. Silly me.

I don't know if I just got lucky, or knew how to deal with invasions.. but IIRC every invasion after that - I successfully warded them off. It was early on PC release, so I think those hapless souls doing the invading just naively assumed they could faceroll anyone they jumped on...

I haven't gone back to playing since the first week during release, but I imagine online mode is rather shitty at this point in time.

Aeonknight

Apr 8, 2011
Casual Shinji said:
I've had invaders kick my ass, but I've paddled my fair share of invader behinds as well.

The only time you can get invaded is if you're human, and the only time I was ever human was when I was trying to summon other players. So many times when I got invaded said invader found himself facing three dudes instead of one.

And one of the most satisfying things in Dark Souls is killing some twerp who thought he could just enter your world and wreck your shit. Beats any Boss defeat.
This.

Although I prefer punishing the guilty as well if you know what I mean...

Dandark

Sep 2, 2011
Nothing bad about it.

Invasions would be more fun if they were not decided due to lag or one player having such good gear that he can one shot you while you need to backstab him 10 times just to get his attention.

It was an awful idea to have equipment play such a big part in how strong someone is then segregate players by summoner level.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Does that make the game any easier? If yes, judging by what I've seen, that apparently makes you worse then Hitler crossed with Stalin crossed with a Wolverine.

I understand not wanting to have dicks come in and ruin your game. That's happened to me a few times. Don't feel bad if you're just trying to avoid the dicks. Dicks ruin everything.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
My problem with invasions is the only people doing them are people who know they can win. If someone invades you at SL1 with a +15 weapon and late game armor, you just simply don't stand a chance. Even on an even footing, they're obviously more experienced than you if they can essentially beat the game without leveling, so you wouldn't stand a chance either.

I don't think invading is a new player anymore, it's just a bunch of trolls and, on PC, hackers.

Gunner 51

Jun 21, 2009
lapan said:
Invading doesn't cost humanity, you just have to be human to do it. They only use 1 humanity if they die because they have to reverse hollow.
Aw man, I was living in such sweet and blissful ignorance. I had such hope that those PvP bullies would end up losing a bit of humanity for invading other worlds. Unless they're helping you kill a boss in the spirit of jolly co-operation. (Wow, I didn't know that Sunbro's attitude was so infectious.) :D

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
You can always escape to the area boss to prevent dying at the hands of an invading backdouche. You can also try hiding in a remote place or running in circles. You can hide for hours, or until the enemy gets well annoyed and goes home empty handed, if I'm not mistaken.

You could also kill the area boss, THEN go human and do your thing in that area easy-peasy without the fear of being invaded.

I myself would rather handle and try my best to gank or at least annoy the smurfs and other unsavoury creatures of the night than to play but offline. The game may very well invite you to enjoy the feeling of isolation and despair, but I think even that is better enjoyed with a bunch of complete strangers.

FieryTrainwreck

Apr 16, 2010
Dark Souls pvp is classic "good in theory, horribly awful and idiotic in execution". Basing matchmaking entirely on soul level is stupid. The vast majority of a player's power is derived from his gear, and you can acquire said gear purely offline without having to "pay your dues" to other invaders. Also, people mostly hack/exploit/glitch to their advantage. Also, the net code isn't nearly up to snuff; somewhere between most and all of my deaths were the result of teleporting, backstabbing nonsense.

The kneejerk reaction of "it's supposed to be hard" doesn't apply here. An environment that doesn't give two shits whether you live or die is one thing. A massively overpowered boss or group of monsters is one thing. A player wielding that power versus another player is another.

idarkphoenixi

May 2, 2011
Invasions stopped me from enjoying Dark Souls, as much as I wanted to like that game. I had to make a point of NEVER restoring humanity even if I really needed to for the boss for fear of getting killed by some random twat.

I had to make a point of avoiding one of the largest features in the game. Theres something wrong with that.

And before anyone says "Oh, well just go offline ya pussy. What's the big deal?" Well first of all I shouldn't have to go offline to actively avoid players. Second, I had it on PC so "going offline" would mean disconnecting my entire internet just for Dark Souls. And if I had Dark Souls running at the time I would have to reset the game, because GFWL is just so fantastic that way.

Bertylicious

Apr 10, 2012
I don't know to be honest. I resented invasion initially, due to just getting ripped apart by some level 50 dude, but then I had an experience in the sewers (!) where I was at the bonfire, kindling, got invaded and the guy appeared at the end of the corridor, shut the door and we just had a good old barny in the little room. I was using a two hander so naturally lost, but I did rather enjoy it! Plus he bowed as the screen went black and that made it all seem so gentlemanly.

Plus had a fun one in Anor Londo; got invaded and I was running around trying to find the guy. Saw him on the oposite side of one of the spiral staircases and shook my fist at him and I think he did some manner of crotch thrust or something. We had an epic duel on top of the rafters in the big painting room. It was totally bad ass!

So a lot of good, but most of the time I couldn't be fucked with invasions so played hollow most of the time. That largely deprived me of the NPC invasions.

I guess I'm in favour of the invasions. It's a novel mechanic and it has left me with some wonderful memories.