How the f**k do I deal with able gamers and do I even bother?

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
I suggest contacting them with your method, that they might learn from you. They may not believe it to be functionally possible, but if you have a way that they have not found, then I suggest bringing it up to them, and fully bringing about your way, that others might learn, if it's not excessively straining on you.

Coincidentally, go you for being able to game with one hand. Mad props, friend.

Steven Spohn

Jun 25, 2011
Hi Morty,

My name is Steve Spohn, I'm the editor-in-chief of ablegamers.com. There seems to be some miscommunication here, let's see if we can work it out.

First, I don't know what e-mail address you were e-mailing, but we have no automated response. All of our inquiries go to a specific address, Which can be found on our site. Also, we have a rather large community forum. You could drop by our forums at any time to voice any of your concerns and you can also reach me or any of the staff through private message on our site.

Second, on every review there is a button at the bottom of the review marked "user reviews" - Anyone who is a member of our website is welcome to submit a review for anything we have already reviewed editorially. You are most certainly welcome to post your critiques of the games you feel we were too harsh on.

Third, we are a 501(c)(3) organization, which means we are completely nonprofit and earn no money for doing what we do. We have the criteria set up through years of experience, but that doesn't mean it applies to everyone. Perhaps you're really good at video games. Judging from your self-proclaimed articulation, I'm guessing you are younger, which usually makes gaming easier.

Finally, you can always reach me at my personal e-mail address Steve at company website. But titling the post How to expletive deal with ablegamers might get my attention just as fast.

By the way, Zac Smith, You would be completely wrong. Videogame publishers are pumping massive amounts of cash into videogames to make them more accessible. And ablegamers is a large part of why they are doing that. We are just one part of a bigger movement of game accessibility - including options in videogames to help people with special needs who need them without interfering with the gameplay for everyone else.

As for how credible we are, well, anywhere you look around the Internet if you see disabled gamers chances are you also see ablegamers. We might not publish what you want to read as far as scores, but that's kind of like saying 1up isn't credible because they only scored your favorite game 5 out of 10.

Game on,

Steve

Morty815 said:
EDIT: There seems to be a bit of a misunderstanding in my post, let me be more clear, I play games with 1 arm on default controls without issue, and don't want OTHER disabled gamers being detterred, wow I'm inarticulate.

link to ablegamers 360 reviews: http://www.ablegamers.com/xbox-360-reviews-for-disabled-gamers.html

To name but a few games they deem unplayable that I've finished, Alan Wake, Arkham Asylum, ODST and the CODs.

OK. First off, this is in no way an egotistical post, I am in no way looking for praise in any area of my life so I ask that all escapees (is that a word?) refrain from making this thread about me. Anyway, to start off I'm a disabled gamer, 360 is my console of choice, I am a forequarter (that is the correct spelling :)) amputee, which means I am missing my left arm and shoulder, I've been gaming since about 11ish, so like 8 years now, ablegamers.com recently came to my attention. On this site they review games for disabled dudes and dudettes, they have a checklist at the top of each review stating if people with specific disabilities can play certain games, in the category of 1 arm (yay thats me!) for pretty much every game they have a huge X. Stating that one armed gamers would not be able to play these games, my worry is that another 1 armed gamer might read their reviews and be dettered from attempting to play a game with 1 arm, I emailed abled gamers twice and both times recieved a automated -we appreciate your input- email, I just want to get the word out that their opinion is not gospel and playing a game with one arm is VERY much possible and doesn't take a lot of time to get used to, so I ask you escapees and escapettes, what shall I do?!?!?!

Steven Spohn

Jun 25, 2011
Ooops, I missed this post in my replies. Thank you very much for checking us out. We do cover a lot. Our scales are not based on play or do not play - they are usually "here is what options are available" "this is now accessible it is overall" and then a review that goes more in-depth for you to read. You are completely right, we are a site for guides to how accessible things are and suggest whether to avoid certain games or not. We currently use a scale of 1 to 10 for mobility, visual, and hearing.

I hope that helps.

Lullabye said:
So you're worried that the site recommendations might deter other disabled gamers from enjoying potentially great games? It sucks but there really isn't much you can do about it. They can say whatever they want as is their right, and quite frankly it seems like they are only trying to help. Convincing someone that they are possibly doing more harm than good is rather arduous and in this case I would say not worth it.
I want to see exactly what this sight deems as a game 'unfit' for certain disabilities.
*goes off to google*
[sub]might help if you put up a link of the site in question[/sub]

EDIT: Wow they really cover alot on that site. Honestly I don't think anybody reading that would feel deterred. If anything it's more like a suggestions site than a do/do not play 'X' if you have 'Y' disability.
Their choices also seem to make sense.(maybe not some of the specific game choices, but the genres overall) The only thing that I find wrong is that they call it 'unplayable'. Why not just put it on a difficulty scale(or rather, an accessibility scale?) or something?

Morty815

Mar 10, 2010
Steven Spohn said:
Hi Morty,

My name is Steve Spohn, I'm the editor-in-chief of ablegamers.com. There seems to be some miscommunication here, let's see if we can work it out.

First, I don't know what e-mail address you were e-mailing, but we have no automated response. All of our inquiries go to a specific address, Which can be found on our site. Also, we have a rather large community forum. You could drop by our forums at any time to voice any of your concerns and you can also reach me or any of the staff through private message on our site.

Second, on every review there is a button at the bottom of the review marked "user reviews" - Anyone who is a member of our website is welcome to submit a review for anything we have already reviewed editorially. You are most certainly welcome to post your critiques of the games you feel we were too harsh on.

Third, we are a 501(c)(3) organization, which means we are completely nonprofit and earn no money for doing what we do. We have the criteria set up through years of experience, but that doesn't mean it applies to everyone. Perhaps you're really good at video games. Judging from your self-proclaimed articulation, I'm guessing you are younger, which usually makes gaming easier.

Finally, you can always reach me at my personal e-mail address Steve at company website. But titling the post How to expletive deal with ablegamers might get my attention just as fast.

By the way, Zac Smith, You would be completely wrong. Videogame publishers are pumping massive amounts of cash into videogames to make them more accessible. And ablegamers is a large part of why they are doing that. We are just one part of a bigger movement of game accessibility - including options in videogames to help people with special needs who need them without interfering with the gameplay for everyone else.

As for how credible we are, well, anywhere you look around the Internet if you see disabled gamers chances are you also see ablegamers. We might not publish what you want to read as far as scores, but that's kind of like saying 1up isn't credible because they only scored your favorite game 5 out of 10.

Game on,

Steve

Morty815 said:
EDIT: There seems to be a bit of a misunderstanding in my post, let me be more clear, I play games with 1 arm on default controls without issue, and don't want OTHER disabled gamers being detterred, wow I'm inarticulate.

link to ablegamers 360 reviews: http://www.ablegamers.com/xbox-360-reviews-for-disabled-gamers.html

To name but a few games they deem unplayable that I've finished, Alan Wake, Arkham Asylum, ODST and the CODs.

OK. First off, this is in no way an egotistical post, I am in no way looking for praise in any area of my life so I ask that all escapees (is that a word?) refrain from making this thread about me. Anyway, to start off I'm a disabled gamer, 360 is my console of choice, I am a forequarter (that is the correct spelling :)) amputee, which means I am missing my left arm and shoulder, I've been gaming since about 11ish, so like 8 years now, ablegamers.com recently came to my attention. On this site they review games for disabled dudes and dudettes, they have a checklist at the top of each review stating if people with specific disabilities can play certain games, in the category of 1 arm (yay thats me!) for pretty much every game they have a huge X. Stating that one armed gamers would not be able to play these games, my worry is that another 1 armed gamer might read their reviews and be dettered from attempting to play a game with 1 arm, I emailed abled gamers twice and both times recieved a automated -we appreciate your input- email, I just want to get the word out that their opinion is not gospel and playing a game with one arm is VERY much possible and doesn't take a lot of time to get used to, so I ask you escapees and escapettes, what shall I do?!?!?!
First off all, thanks for responding, how you discovered this thread is beyond me but I'm thankful all the same, I appreciate you replying and giving such a detailed response. As I stated in my emails to ablegamers.com, I am a huge supporter of the site and am aware of the major strides they have made regarding disabled gamers. Regarding my age, I am a 19 year old gamer and have been playing games with one arm since 2001. I would just like to emphasise how genuinely accessible playing games with a traditional controller with one arm can be, I was a gamer before I lost my arm, and the learning curve I experienced was identical in terms of time and effort when learning to play with one arm. I was not aware of the newer reviewing system on your site and was taking issue with an older system which had deemed some of the games I had played with one arm as unplayable. That about does it, chears for replying dude (to informal?), the sites looking great.

PS: May upload a video on youtube to demonstrate how I play.

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
First of all, well done to you Morty. It must take a lot of perseverance to enjoy gaming with one hand. Hell, I haven't even finished Arkham Asylum.

Perhaps you should consider working within the gaming industry to help make games more accessible for people with disabilities identical or similar to yours. I would be willing to bet that there is a substantial audience that doesn't even try picking up gaming due to a kind of 'What's the point' attitude. I know I probably would.

Chibz

Sep 12, 2008
Morty815 said:

Hmmmm. I recommend playing games where diminished ability to respond in real time isn't a big deal at all. These will be mostly turn based games, often strategy.

Not because of an inability to play other games, but rather these are the ones where being differently abled in this way makes the absolute smallest impact. I think that's what they meant, though. If it would have a very large/negative impact on your capacity to play the game.

Morty815

Mar 10, 2010
Chibz said:
Morty815 said:

Hmmmm. I recommend playing games where diminished ability to respond in real time isn't a big deal at all. These will be mostly turn based games, often strategy.

Not because of an inability to play other games, but rather these are the ones where being differently abled in this way makes the absolute smallest impact. I think that's what they meant, though. If it would have a very large/negative impact on your capacity to play the game.
Trust me, their is no negative impact, I'd be the first to say if there was.

Echo Delta

May 17, 2011
Well, dual-stick (or WASD+mouse) controls are understandably difficult to work with one arm. If you have found a way to make them work then that's awesome and more power to you. I can see from a single-player causal level that this would work and if that's all you are interested in then skip to the third paragraph =P. That said, if you are looking for a competative/hardcore/online experience I think that PC games, such as the civilization series, and even some of the less hotkey-intensive RTS'es are the way to go for you mate. The "huge X" statuses probably come from the fact that the games you've described necessitate the use of dual-stick almost all the time and would thus make online, competitive play extremely challenging.

If you are really adamant about working through it, I would say you have to just keep trying or move to a different genre. Most casual wii games only require one arm due to the wii-mote's design, and the playstation move is exactly the same so perhaps some of those could be a little bit more manageable?

I really feel for you though, and as far as spreading the message I think the only thing you can do is share what has and hasn't worked for you on these games. Post on forums to people that are interested, heck, form a group here on the escapist, but just keep trying.

Morty815

Mar 10, 2010
Vanguard_Ex said:
First of all, well done to you Morty. It must take a lot of perseverance to enjoy gaming with one hand. Hell, I haven't even finished Arkham Asylum.
en try picking up gaming due to a kind of 'What's the point' attitude. I know I probably would.
Perhaps you should consider working within the gaming industry to help make games more accessible for people with disabilities identical or similar to yours. I would be willing to bet that there is a substantial audience that doesn't ev
I would LOVE to do exactly that, I've been planning on putting up vids on youtube for a while but it seems a bit cheap to use my disability as a way to cheat my way into a competitive industry, on the other hand I see that it could give a fellow one armed gamer the confidence to try gaming, dunno, maybe I'm being to proud.

Chibz

Sep 12, 2008
Morty815 said:
Well, then count me confused. I don't understand how a single-handed person would hold the steadily more complicated controllers in modern gaming. This is more a genuinely curious question than anything: How do you hold a controller with one hand?

Morty815

Mar 10, 2010
Echo Delta said:
Well, dual-stick (or WASD+mouse) controls are understandably difficult to work with one arm. If you have found a way to make them work then that's awesome and more power to you. I can see from a single-player causal level that this would work and if that's all you are interested in then skip to the third paragraph =P. That said, if you are looking for a competative/hardcore/online experience I think that PC games, such as the civilization series, and even some of the less hotkey-intensive RTS'es are the way to go for you mate. The "huge X" statuses probably come from the fact that the games you've described necessitate the use of dual-stick almost all the time and would thus make online, competitive play extremely challenging.

If you are really adamant about working through it, I would say you have to just keep trying or move to a different genre. Most casual wii games only require one arm due to the wii-mote's design, and the playstation move is exactly the same so perhaps some of those could be a little bit more manageable?

I really feel for you though, and as far as spreading the message I think the only thing you can do is share what has and hasn't worked for you on these games. Post on forums to people that are interested, heck, form a group here on the escapist, but just keep trying.
hmmmm, it's a difficult tight rope for me to explain that gaming online has been fine for me without sounding cocky, but it really has, on the one hand (lol) I want to tell you what games I've finished on hardest difficulty, on the other I don't want to sound like HEY LOOK AT ME, LOOK WHAT I CAN DO, I will say I have an 89000gs (bit of a whore), but I don't play shit games for G's, except for that time I borrowed avatar off my m8 for all of 5 mins.

Akyho

Nov 28, 2010
I have a friend that is an aputee from a third of the forearm down. So he is missing his hand and most of his forearm.

So while he is better off being able to use some of his left arm for left stick or for the mouse.

The one thing that ever screws him up is stuff with the left bumper or left trigger. He can use them. But when it asks for being held or for long peroids. Like Rainbow six to look round walls. he has to miss out on useing it. (dosnt manke him any worse to play against)

So there is another example of a one hand player to be exact. Being able to play 90% of games fully and the 10% partialy. If they are a worthwhile people. Then they should listen to you. Try the forums and such? Get a group?

Edit
WTF? I just checked out the site and they pretty much only list two games for one handed players. Forza 3 and Tekken 6. They are way off. I agree. Ive been playing Mortal Kombat with my one hand friend and he is a tough fight. I play FPS with him and tough. PC games he is fine. I forget he has one hand to use anything with.

Even at times i have been strange and started to use one hand while my other hand is busy. So i use thumb spread over the gamepad and press buttons. Its not that bad. With practise I could use it fine.

Morty815

Mar 10, 2010
Chibz said:
Morty815 said:
Well, then count me confused. I don't understand how a single-handed person would hold the steadily more complicated controllers in modern gaming. This is more a genuinely curious question than anything: How do you hold a controller with one hand?
lol It's difficult to explain without getting a controller, I'll ask you the same question regarding 2 and I'll gaurantee you just stick 2 hands in the air, (gets controller).

THUMB: RIGHT ANALOGUE AND AXBY
FINGER NEXT TO THUMB: LEFT ANALOGUE
MIDDLE FINGER: LEFT TRIGGER AND LB
LITTLE FINGER: RIGHT TRIGGER AND RB

Haha just realised I don't use the other finger :s

PS: I lean the controller against my stomach for stability.

PSS: Until 3 years ago I used my left foot for left analogue and pushed left trigger against the floor, I learnt the way I do now, cuz I was 2 embarressed to play at 1 of my m8s houses the old way.

Echo Delta

May 17, 2011
Morty815 said:
hmmmm, it's a difficult tight rope for me to explain that gaming online has been fine for me without sounding cocky, but it really has, on the one hand (lol) I want to tell you what games I've finished on hardest difficulty, on the other I don't want to sound like HEY LOOK AT ME, LOOK WHAT I CAN DO, I will say I have an 89000gs (bit of a whore), but I don't play shit games for G's, except for that time I borrowed avatar off my m8 for all of 5 mins.
Well, I think that if you are able to convey your genuine interest and activism then you will be fine. Just a simple, "hey, this worked for me, maybe it could work for you" kinda thing with other disabled gamers sharing their experiences as well could be very beneficial to the demographic. Obviously you don't want to come off as arrogant and you didn't, I actually find your ability to do online play quite impressive and if anything you do deserve some bragging rights. Hell, you didn't beat some punk ass kid by "not even trying", you didn't beat him by having "one arm tied behind your back", you legit beat him with one arm. I find that kinda cool.

Chibz

Sep 12, 2008
Morty815 said:
lol It's difficult to explain without getting a controller, I'll ask you the same question regarding 2 and I'll gaurantee you just stick 2 hands in the air, (gets controller).

MIDDLE FINGER: RIGHT STICK AND RB

Hold on. I'm trying this. Hmmm. A little less optimal, but yeah. I could definitely see how this works. But this is probably because I've never had to play like this, so a little practice...

Morty815

Mar 10, 2010
Akyho said:
I have a friend that is an aputee from a third of the forearm down. So he is missing his hand and most of his forearm.

So while he is better off being able to use some of his left arm for left stick or for the mouse.

The one thing that ever screws him up is stuff with the left bumper or left trigger. He can use them. But when it asks for being held or for long peroids. Like Rainbow six to look round walls. he has to miss out on useing it. (dosnt manke him any worse to play against)

So there is another example of a one hand player to be exact. Being able to play 90% of games fully and the 10% partialy. If they are a worthwhile people. Then they should listen to you. Try the forums and such? Get a group?

Edit
WTF? I just checked out the site and they pretty much only list two games for one handed players. Forza 3 and Tekken 6. They are way off. I agree. Ive been playing Mortal Kombat with my one hand friend and he is a tough fight. I play FPS with him and tough. PC games he is fine. I forget he has one hand to use anything with.

Even at times i have been strange and started to use one hand while my other hand is busy. So i use thumb spread over the gamepad and press buttons. Its not that bad. With practise I could use it fine.
Thank you, the 1 thing thats gets to me is when ppl say 'WOAH THAT WOULD TAKE YEARS TO LEARN' When in fact it takes the same amount of practise as 2 arms, if you lost an arm 2moro, I can guarantee you would be gaming fine within a month.

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
Morty815 said:
Vanguard_Ex said:
en try picking up gaming due to a kind of 'What's the point' attitude. I know I probably would.
Perhaps you should consider working within the gaming industry to help make games more accessible for people with disabilities identical or similar to yours. I would be willing to bet that there is a substantial audience that doesn't ev
I would LOVE to do exactly that, I've been planning on putting up vids on youtube for a while but it seems a bit cheap to use my disability as a way to cheat my way into a competitive industry, on the other hand I see that it could give a fellow one armed gamer the confidence to try gaming, dunno, maybe I'm being to proud.
I wouldn't call it that. Who is better qualified to advise on disabled gamers than a disabled gamer? You'd be turning what many would call an unfortunate handicap, into something beneficial for countless others. Hell, potentially even arguably improving life for many. I say go for it, it isn't getting by on a free ride.

Cogwheel

Apr 3, 2010
Well, you're the third person I find on this site who's playing with one hand (the other two cases being temporary from injury), and while this has little to do with the topic at hand, I could PM you a list of fairly good games you can play, if you like. Let me know if I should do that.

Morty815

Mar 10, 2010
Chibz said:
Morty815 said:

MIDDLE FINGER: RIGHT STICK AND RB

Hold on. I'm trying this. Hmmm. A little less optimal, but yeah. I could definitely see how this works. But this is probably because I've never had to play like this, so a little practice...
You'll be experiencing the same thing a non gamer with 2 arms experiences when you hand them a controller, also it helps that I have a giant hand lol.

Morty815

Mar 10, 2010
Vanguard_Ex said:
Morty815 said:
Vanguard_Ex said:
I wouldn't call it that. Who is better qualified to advise on disabled gamers than a disabled gamer? You'd be turning what many would call an unfortunate handicap, into something beneficial for countless others. Hell, potentially even arguably improving life for many. I say go for it, it isn't getting by on a free ride.
Wow that's a refreshing way of looking at it, it's good to get an outsiders perspective, I will defo upload a vid in the next month, got 2 work out a way to film it so no one can say it's fake.