How the f**k do I deal with able gamers and do I even bother?

Steven Spohn

Jun 25, 2011
You are most welcome for the reply. How I found it? Let's just say black magic.

Yes, Our older review system was nothing more than stories articulating opinions based on what the reviewer thought about the game. The newer system is a bit more "on the rails" - although still fluid. Just like you would find your favorite movie reviewer, you'll probably have your favorite ablegamers reviewer who thinks like you do.

As to your video, I cannot stress enough how much I recommend coming to our forums and talking to some of the regulars. You can find out exactly how far some people really go to play video games. Once you're ready to talk about a certain game, you can shoot me an e-mail and we will be happy to use your video on how to play a particular title one-handed with the review. I can help you learn how to show off what you can do in an educational way as long as you're willing to learn. It's like walking a tight rope, you need to demonstrate what you can do without putting down anyone else who could not do the same and then show them how to get where you are. We can work out the details later, but that would be your best bet for making a difference.

Morty815 said:
Steven Spohn said:
Hi Morty,

My name is Steve Spohn, I'm the editor-in-chief of ablegamers.com. There seems to be some miscommunication here, let's see if we can work it out.

First, I don't know what e-mail address you were e-mailing, but we have no automated response. All of our inquiries go to a specific address, Which can be found on our site. Also, we have a rather large community forum. You could drop by our forums at any time to voice any of your concerns and you can also reach me or any of the staff through private message on our site.

Second, on every review there is a button at the bottom of the review marked "user reviews" - Anyone who is a member of our website is welcome to submit a review for anything we have already reviewed editorially. You are most certainly welcome to post your critiques of the games you feel we were too harsh on.

Third, we are a 501(c)(3) organization, which means we are completely nonprofit and earn no money for doing what we do. We have the criteria set up through years of experience, but that doesn't mean it applies to everyone. Perhaps you're really good at video games. Judging from your self-proclaimed articulation, I'm guessing you are younger, which usually makes gaming easier.

Finally, you can always reach me at my personal e-mail address Steve at company website. But titling the post How to expletive deal with ablegamers might get my attention just as fast.

By the way, Zac Smith, You would be completely wrong. Videogame publishers are pumping massive amounts of cash into videogames to make them more accessible. And ablegamers is a large part of why they are doing that. We are just one part of a bigger movement of game accessibility - including options in videogames to help people with special needs who need them without interfering with the gameplay for everyone else.

As for how credible we are, well, anywhere you look around the Internet if you see disabled gamers chances are you also see ablegamers. We might not publish what you want to read as far as scores, but that's kind of like saying 1up isn't credible because they only scored your favorite game 5 out of 10.

Game on,

Steve

Morty815 said:
EDIT: There seems to be a bit of a misunderstanding in my post, let me be more clear, I play games with 1 arm on default controls without issue, and don't want OTHER disabled gamers being detterred, wow I'm inarticulate.

link to ablegamers 360 reviews: http://www.ablegamers.com/xbox-360-reviews-for-disabled-gamers.html

To name but a few games they deem unplayable that I've finished, Alan Wake, Arkham Asylum, ODST and the CODs.

OK. First off, this is in no way an egotistical post, I am in no way looking for praise in any area of my life so I ask that all escapees (is that a word?) refrain from making this thread about me. Anyway, to start off I'm a disabled gamer, 360 is my console of choice, I am a forequarter (that is the correct spelling :)) amputee, which means I am missing my left arm and shoulder, I've been gaming since about 11ish, so like 8 years now, ablegamers.com recently came to my attention. On this site they review games for disabled dudes and dudettes, they have a checklist at the top of each review stating if people with specific disabilities can play certain games, in the category of 1 arm (yay thats me!) for pretty much every game they have a huge X. Stating that one armed gamers would not be able to play these games, my worry is that another 1 armed gamer might read their reviews and be dettered from attempting to play a game with 1 arm, I emailed abled gamers twice and both times recieved a automated -we appreciate your input- email, I just want to get the word out that their opinion is not gospel and playing a game with one arm is VERY much possible and doesn't take a lot of time to get used to, so I ask you escapees and escapettes, what shall I do?!?!?!
First off all, thanks for responding, how you discovered this thread is beyond me but I'm thankful all the same, I appreciate you replying and giving such a detailed response. As I stated in my emails to ablegamers.com, I am a huge supporter of the site and am aware of the major strides they have made regarding disabled gamers. Regarding my age, I am a 19 year old gamer and have been playing games with one arm since 2001. I would just like to emphasise how genuinely accessible playing games with a traditional controller with one arm can be, I was a gamer before I lost my arm, and the learning curve I experienced was identical in terms of time and effort when learning to play with one arm. I was not aware of the newer reviewing system on your site and was taking issue with an older system which had deemed some of the games I had played with one arm as unplayable. That about does it, chears for replying dude (to informal?), the sites looking great.

PS: May upload a video on youtube to demonstrate how I play.

Chiasm

Aug 27, 2008
It is disgusting that they didn't actually respond to your concerns, more so when they are a site for disabled gamers, maybe they are just busy. I think your best bet would to use their forums and post about this issue and also offer your tips and tricks or products you use as well as the games you would recommend to other one handed gamers. Maybe the reviewer just isn't sure what issues to look for in a game? I hope that path works better.

*edit* just saw the response from able gamers \0/

I know being deaf I am always amazed when major review sites fail to even bring up the point rather or not there are subtitles in a game(In 2011 everything should have options, including basic control binding) I'm hoping as more game developers come from more walks of life and just generally age that we will see more standard levels of accessibility.

Zac Smith said:
No offence to you at all, but in the gaming world, you are in a very small minority, and I sincerely doubt that game companies would spend extra money to try and cater to that small demographic. So in the nicest way possible without sounding like an arse, sucks to be you, try to find some games that you can play 1 handed. That's all I can say on the matter I'm afraid =/
Everyone in the world is only temporarily able bodied EVERYONE all it takes is that one car accident,unluckiness,stray bullet,construction accident, unknown disease or virus or even just getting older there is a 1000 ways one can become disabled; it's not a question of if you will but when.

So don't delude yourself and think being "healthy" will last forever. It's like if books or movies said, "Only healthy young fit people under the age of 30 will able to enjoy this book/movie" It is a horrible business practice both with limiting your audience and also from alienating potential customers; and until game companies catch up with books and films they will always have less merit.

Morty815

Mar 10, 2010
Steven Spohn said:
You are most welcome for the reply. How I found it? Let's just say black magic.

Yes, Our older review system was nothing more than stories articulating opinions based on what the reviewer thought about the game. The newer system is a bit more "on the rails" - although still fluid. Just like you would find your favorite movie reviewer, you'll probably have your favorite ablegamers reviewer who thinks like you do.

As to your video, I cannot stress enough how much I recommend coming to our forums and talking to some of the regulars. You can find out exactly how far some people really go to play video games. Once you're ready to talk about a certain game, you can shoot me an e-mail and we will be happy to use your video on how to play a particular title one-handed with the review. I can help you learn how to show off what you can do in an educational way as long as you're willing to learn. It's like walking a tight rope, you need to demonstrate what you can do without putting down anyone else who could not do the same and then show them how to get where you are. We can work out the details later, but that would be your best bet for making a difference.

Morty815 said:
Steven Spohn said:
Hi Morty,

My name is Steve Spohn, I'm the editor-in-chief of ablegamers.com. There seems to be some miscommunication here, let's see if we can work it out.

First, I don't know what e-mail address you were e-mailing, but we have no automated response. All of our inquiries go to a specific address, Which can be found on our site. Also, we have a rather large community forum. You could drop by our forums at any time to voice any of your concerns and you can also reach me or any of the staff through private message on our site.

Second, on every review there is a button at the bottom of the review marked "user reviews" - Anyone who is a member of our website is welcome to submit a review for anything we have already reviewed editorially. You are most certainly welcome to post your critiques of the games you feel we were too harsh on.

Third, we are a 501(c)(3) organization, which means we are completely nonprofit and earn no money for doing what we do. We have the criteria set up through years of experience, but that doesn't mean it applies to everyone. Perhaps you're really good at video games. Judging from your self-proclaimed articulation, I'm guessing you are younger, which usually makes gaming easier.

Finally, you can always reach me at my personal e-mail address Steve at company website. But titling the post How to expletive deal with ablegamers might get my attention just as fast.

By the way, Zac Smith, You would be completely wrong. Videogame publishers are pumping massive amounts of cash into videogames to make them more accessible. And ablegamers is a large part of why they are doing that. We are just one part of a bigger movement of game accessibility - including options in videogames to help people with special needs who need them without interfering with the gameplay for everyone else.

As for how credible we are, well, anywhere you look around the Internet if you see disabled gamers chances are you also see ablegamers. We might not publish what you want to read as far as scores, but that's kind of like saying 1up isn't credible because they only scored your favorite game 5 out of 10.

Game on,

Steve

Morty815 said:
EDIT: There seems to be a bit of a misunderstanding in my post, let me be more clear, I play games with 1 arm on default controls without issue, and don't want OTHER disabled gamers being detterred, wow I'm inarticulate.

link to ablegamers 360 reviews: http://www.ablegamers.com/xbox-360-reviews-for-disabled-gamers.html

To name but a few games they deem unplayable that I've finished, Alan Wake, Arkham Asylum, ODST and the CODs.

OK. First off, this is in no way an egotistical post, I am in no way looking for praise in any area of my life so I ask that all escapees (is that a word?) refrain from making this thread about me. Anyway, to start off I'm a disabled gamer, 360 is my console of choice, I am a forequarter (that is the correct spelling :)) amputee, which means I am missing my left arm and shoulder, I've been gaming since about 11ish, so like 8 years now, ablegamers.com recently came to my attention. On this site they review games for disabled dudes and dudettes, they have a checklist at the top of each review stating if people with specific disabilities can play certain games, in the category of 1 arm (yay thats me!) for pretty much every game they have a huge X. Stating that one armed gamers would not be able to play these games, my worry is that another 1 armed gamer might read their reviews and be dettered from attempting to play a game with 1 arm, I emailed abled gamers twice and both times recieved a automated -we appreciate your input- email, I just want to get the word out that their opinion is not gospel and playing a game with one arm is VERY much possible and doesn't take a lot of time to get used to, so I ask you escapees and escapettes, what shall I do?!?!?!
First off all, thanks for responding, how you discovered this thread is beyond me but I'm thankful all the same, I appreciate you replying and giving such a detailed response. As I stated in my emails to ablegamers.com, I am a huge supporter of the site and am aware of the major strides they have made regarding disabled gamers. Regarding my age, I am a 19 year old gamer and have been playing games with one arm since 2001. I would just like to emphasise how genuinely accessible playing games with a traditional controller with one arm can be, I was a gamer before I lost my arm, and the learning curve I experienced was identical in terms of time and effort when learning to play with one arm. I was not aware of the newer reviewing system on your site and was taking issue with an older system which had deemed some of the games I had played with one arm as unplayable. That about does it, chears for replying dude (to informal?), the sites looking great.

PS: May upload a video on youtube to demonstrate how I play.
Totally understandable, I've been reluctant to start a thread like this in the past simply because I don't want it to be perseived as an excuse for a boast, I will definitely upload a video demonstrating how I play in the next week or so, needless to say you will be getting a link :D.

JezebelinHell

Dec 9, 2010
I was going to suggest looking for a user comments area to post in the review page in or a forum on the site to get your point across but it looks like you managed to grab the attention of someone that knows more about the site than any of us. And since most of the answers are about playing with one hand rather than your actual question... yea.

Steven Spohn

Jun 25, 2011
I don't remember only listing two games for one-handed gamers. Perhaps taking a more in-depth look at our site would Yield more results?

Akyho said:
I have a friend that is an aputee from a third of the forearm down. So he is missing his hand and most of his forearm.

So while he is better off being able to use some of his left arm for left stick or for the mouse.

The one thing that ever screws him up is stuff with the left bumper or left trigger. He can use them. But when it asks for being held or for long peroids. Like Rainbow six to look round walls. he has to miss out on useing it. (dosnt manke him any worse to play against)

So there is another example of a one hand player to be exact. Being able to play 90% of games fully and the 10% partialy. If they are a worthwhile people. Then they should listen to you. Try the forums and such? Get a group?

Edit
WTF? I just checked out the site and they pretty much only list two games for one handed players. Forza 3 and Tekken 6. They are way off. I agree. Ive been playing Mortal Kombat with my one hand friend and he is a tough fight. I play FPS with him and tough. PC games he is fine. I forget he has one hand to use anything with.

Even at times i have been strange and started to use one hand while my other hand is busy. So i use thumb spread over the gamepad and press buttons. Its not that bad. With practise I could use it fine.

MrGalactus

Elite Member
Sep 18, 2010
Ok, this is a little off topic but WOAH ABLEGAMERS.COM HAS HIGH STANDARDS! It gave Borderlands a 2/10. I mean, it wasn't gods gift to gaming, but a 2??

EDIT: unless the review score is based only on how playable it is by disabled people?

Steven Spohn

Jun 25, 2011
The score is based solely on how accessible it is to gamers with disabilities.

THEJORRRG said:
Ok, this is a little off topic but WOAH ABLEGAMERS.COM HAS HIGH STANDARDS! It gave Borderlands a 2/10. I mean, it wasn't gods gift to gaming, but a 2??

EDIT: unless the review score is based only on how playable it is by disabled people?

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
Morty815 said:
Wow that's a refreshing way of looking at it, it's good to get an outsiders perspective, I will defo upload a vid in the next month, got 2 work out a way to film it so no one can say it's fake.
It's the healthy way to look at it, I doubt many people will be spiteful enough to see a free-loader. Good, I hope we see your work soon enough!

Chiasm

Aug 27, 2008
THEJORRRG said:
Pretty much the entire point of the site >.> Did you not even read the full review? it goes into detail how the game can be problematic if you are disabled.

MrGalactus

Elite Member
Sep 18, 2010
Chiasm said:
THEJORRRG said:
Pretty much the entire point of the site >.> Did you not even read the full review? it goes into detail how the game can be problematic if you are disabled.
Well, I didn't read it in it's entirety. I think it's a little odd that they would review it JUST on it's play-ability and say nothing about how good the actual game itself is.
I suppose it makes sense, though. A lot of places do that, nowhere else tells you how easily it can be played by a 1 armed fella.

HardkorSB

Mar 18, 2010
Morty815 said:

Why don't you just post videos on Youtube of yourself playing these supposedly "unplayable" games and then post them on various gaming forums?
You'll get your message across much faster that way.

Chiasm

Aug 27, 2008
THEJORRRG said:
Well, I didn't read it in it's entirety. I think it's a little odd that they would review it JUST on it's play-ability and say nothing about how good the actual game itself is.
I suppose it makes sense, though. A lot of places do that, nowhere else tells you how easily it can be played by a 1 armed fella.
I would really suggest you read it then, as the reviewer even states,
"The accessibility challenges presented by ?Borderlands? are hugely disappointing because it is an exceptionally fun and imaginative new world with a unique aesthetic, engrossing gameplay and incredible replay value, so much so that gamers should at least rent it to see if it is sufficiently accessible for them."

The score of a review means nothing if you don't read the actual review.

Steven Spohn

Jun 25, 2011
Hi Chiasm,

we usually talk about those numbers at places like PAX. They are pretty scary for the nondisabled audience. By the time someone is 50 they are more than 40% likely to have some sort of disability and by the time they reach 60 the number jumps to 70%. Especially considering the median age of gaming is now 40, that means potentially 2/5 people who are gamers will claim some kind of disability in the next few years.

That's exactly why the game industry is starting to pay attention.

Chiasm said:
*edit* just saw the response from able gamers \0/

I know being deaf I am always amazed when major review sites fail to even bring up the point rather or not there are subtitles in a game(In 2011 everything should have options, including basic control binding) I'm hoping as more game developers come from more walks of life and just generally age that we will see more standard levels of accessibility.

Zac Smith said:
No offence to you at all, but in the gaming world, you are in a very small minority, and I sincerely doubt that game companies would spend extra money to try and cater to that small demographic. So in the nicest way possible without sounding like an arse, sucks to be you, try to find some games that you can play 1 handed. That's all I can say on the matter I'm afraid =/
Everyone in the world is only temporarily able bodied EVERYONE all it takes is that one car accident,unluckiness,stray bullet,construction accident, unknown disease or virus or even just getting older there is a 1000 ways one can become disabled; it's not a question of if you will but when.

So don't delude yourself and think being "healthy" will last forever. It's like if books or movies said, "Only healthy young fit people under the age of 30 will able to enjoy this book/movie" It is a horrible business practice both with limiting your audience and also from alienating potential customers; and until game companies catch up with books and films they will always have less merit.

Chiasm

Aug 27, 2008
Steven Spohn said:
Hi Chiasm,

we usually talk about those numbers at places like PAX. They are pretty scary for the nondisabled audience. By the time someone is 50 they are more than 40% likely to have some sort of disability and by the time they reach 60 the number jumps to 70%. Especially considering the median age of gaming is now 40, that means potentially 2/5 people who are gamers will claim some kind of disability in the next few years.

Plus sites like able gamers help both gamers; as well as bringing focus on this issue to the developers and gaming media. I even recently read about industry and temporarily able bodied gamers in game informer last month. So three cheers to ablegameers ^^

Steven Spohn

Jun 25, 2011
Well thank you for your vote of confidence, I certainly hope we are making a positive change. Some days it doesn't feel like it's changing fast enough. Interesting about game informer, one of our writers went on to be an editor at game informer and another at massively. *tear* my babies grow up so fast!

Seriously though, I hope to see you over at our forums as well.

Chiasm said:
Steven Spohn said:
Hi Chiasm,

Plus sites like able gamers help both gamers; as well as bringing focus on this issue to the developers and gaming media. I even recently read about industry and temporarily able bodied gamers in game informer last month. So three cheers to ablegameers ^^