How to Be a Superhero

Lauren Admire

Rawrchiteuthis
Aug 8, 2008
How to Be a Superhero

Think having a fancy superpower is all it takes to become a superhero? Think again.

How exactly does one become a superhero? Do they need a tight-fitting, moniker-themed costume? Does it require superpowers that evolved from strange and random events? In Issue 154 of The Escapist, John Evans takes a stab at creating the ultimate superhero checklist:

[blockquote]Of course, superheroes also operate beyond the law. National boundaries and extradition treaties mean little to Wonder Woman, and the illegality of vigilante justice doesn't deter the masked crime fighters who stalk the streets of Gotham, Metropolis or any of the other incarnations of New York City. To a superhero, justice trumps mere law.[/blockquote]

However, with every necessary superhero trait Evan's lists, he has more than enough examples to counter it. After all, Batman doesn't have any real superpowers, just a keen sense of justice and advanced detective skills. Read "What Makes a Superhero? [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/issues/issue_154/4970-What-Makes-a-Superhero]" and let us know your superhero checklist.

Premonition

Jan 25, 2010
Batman also has millions upon millions of dollars to buy and create equipment that make him as formidable as any superpowered hero and allows him to create weaponry to dispose of superpowered beings. I think them monies help a bit ^^ Kick-ass would have been a better example. (from what I've seen from the trailer anyways, as I'll be damned if that comic is available here or even findable)

SamuelT

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2009
Country
Nederland
Eh? Why does this have a link to an article from over a year ago?

Cosplay Horatio

May 19, 2009
SamuelT said:
This is why...

The website also has a link to "real" real life super heroes that don't need powers or money.

Kuchinawa212

Apr 23, 2009
I think it takes determination. I mean I bet any rich guy can buy a Batcave, but it takes one with a purpose to keep being the batman of the city

Lauren Admire

Rawrchiteuthis
Aug 8, 2008
SamuelT said:
Mostly so people are alerted to our old content - every week, we do news posts on each article from our current issue. It's my job to go back into the reserves and find related, interesting pieces of content that people might not be aware of.

SamuelT

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2009
Country
Nederland
Lauren Admire said:
SamuelT said:
Mostly so people are alerted to our old content - every week, we do news posts on each article from our current issue. It's my job to go back into the reserves and find related, interesting pieces of content that people might not be aware of.
I was not aware of this.

A job well done methinks.

[sub]Yeah, I did not know that. Thanks for telling.[/sub]