How to be good at fpses on the xbox 360?

Lineoutt

Sock Hat
Jun 26, 2009
(This thread is search bar checked)

Recently I have been noticing a problem, I am absolutely no good at any type of fpses, or any games for that matter. Now I play a lot but the best I can ever muster seems to be around medium skill level. I've heard that girls just genetically suck at games, but I've seen a bunch of good girl gamers so I'm not particularly agreeing with this.

Fellow escapists I ask you this:
Are you skilled? How did you do it? Do you have any tips?

Thanks,
Lineoutt

EDIT: I also won't take the 'Give up, you'll never be good" from any pretentious gamers

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
Find a hiding spot and stay there until innocent and unsuspecting players walk by you. Then unload your gun into them.

P.S-I'm being completely sarcastic here don't follow this.

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
SnootyEnglishman said:
Find a hiding spot and stay there until innocent and unsuspecting players walk by you. Then unload your gun into them.

P.S-I'm being completely sarcastic here don't follow this.

OT: I started out at the basics, easy, then worked my way up. After you can muster most FPS titles at medium, go for online.

By then, you should be pretty seasoned with the controls, and your reflexes will be up to speed.

Best of luck.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Am I good? Yes.

How? I have been playing games, including FPSs for over ten years, so plenty of practice. As well as having naturally quick reflexes.

Tips? Learn to walk and look simultaneously, when I introduced my younger sister to an FPS a while back I noticed how she seemed to lack the ability to do this fluidly. She would walk up to a corner then look around it rather than doing so while moving in order to anticipate it.

With a lot of other game types, what is off the screen does not matter. This is not the case with an FPS, you need to be constantly looking around to make sure nobody is sneaking up or flanking you.

If the game has a radar system then keep an eye on it frequently, don't simply rely on what you can see.

Sorry if they sound basic, they are based upon the assumption that you have little to no experience of them.

Nincompoop

May 24, 2009
Your goal as a gamer shouldn't be to just be the best. It has to be fun. Alas, for some, 'fun' is beating the sh*t out of everyone. So I don't know.

e2density

Dec 25, 2009
I recommend you sell your Xbox and upgrade your PC. Not fanboying here, I'm just saying, you can be far more precise and confident in your skills with a PC, joysticks just aren't as accurate.

Twistur

Apr 16, 2009
Depends on singleplayer / multiplayer, but there are a few tips I can give you:

1) Try to flank the enemy as much as possible. When you go into an area and get shot (but survive), don't go in the room using the same entrance, but try to flank them by using another entrance.

2) Set your aim sensibility higher. That way you can check corners and look behind you faster.

#1 can be used in almost every FPS, while #2 is more suitable for me. I mean, I get a kill / death ratio of over 2.00 in both MW2 and BC2 using these two methods, so they work for me. :)

Hope that helped out.

Daipire

Oct 25, 2009
As soon as you master running around in circles and jumping whilst continually shooting the someone, you are a god.

Alot of people say "Shooters are SO similar", please explain to me how I can dominate entire matches in CoD, but get my ass handed to me frequently on BF BC2. Realistically, every game handles things differently, CoD has low recoil and high visibility, BC2 medium vis, with high recoil. Halo, is something completely different again, only ADS for snipers, amazing vis and a very fast pace.

You can't really master all games with some tips, but one game with some, another with some more, and a third with even more. It's a *****, but the sure-fire way to improve, is to not give a shit about your k/d ratio. Takes the pressure off, you perform better and you learn more.

I guess you can look in wikia pages that some games have, hey, it helped me in the height of my CoD phase.

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
are you a girl?, in which case stay away from FPS's with grenades, cos you know, you throw like a girl.

Take your time and don't expect instant results, if its a class based shooter or perk based choose a perk or class you like the sound of and stick with it, after a month or so you'll be a goddess. Constantly changing class's or perks to whatever the internet says is best will stop you from getting used to something that is "your style".

Optimus Hagrid

Feb 14, 2009
My tips applicable for any shooter:

1.) Aim at the feet with the rocket launcher.

2.) Listen to your surroundings.

3.) As you go around corners aim round them (preferably with iron sights).

4.) Learn the map layout, to the point where you can see somebody go somewhere and know where they'll end up.

5.) Fire at the torso then aim up (unless you are using a slow sniper).

The Shade

Mar 20, 2008
Lineoutt said:
I've heard that girls just genetically suck at games, but I've seen a bunch of good girl gamers so I'm not particularly agreeing with this.
Traditionally, girl gamers have a more difficult time with 3-D controls over males. Something to do with how our respective brains are wired. It's easier for men to co-ordinate the "move" and "look" thumbsticks at the same time than it is for women.

On the flipside, girl gamers tend to be better at 2-D games than men.

For example: my friend can kick a lot of ass in Little Big Planet, but I do occasionally have to suppress a laugh when watching her play Fallout 3. (Strafe! Strafe faster!)

So female gamers don't "suck" at FPSs, they just have to overcome that little bit of adversity. It's always gratifying to see a female gamer pwning teh nubz in an online match. (Unless I'm on the receiving end of her plasma grenade.)

hannan4mitch

Jan 19, 2010
Rule #1: Grenades are a mixed blessing. Use them wisely.
Rule #2: Keep moving. Cover when you need to, but if you stay in one spot, you're dead.
Rule #3: Please don't camp or noobtube. It just makes you look like a jackass.
Rule #4: Don't cheat. EVER.
Rule #5: When you're working in a group, actually do something. Don't sit there and while the rest of your group does all the work.

Vapus

May 15, 2010
As with Anything else that requires Dexterity and Reflexes , Practice Practice Practice. While its true Mouse/keys are king for FPS dominance , there are millions of FPS fans that Do it on a Console with much satisfaction.

deus-ex-machina

Jan 22, 2010
Learn levels - figure out where everything is - and you'll probably feel more confident and play better. I still suck at Halo 3 because when I play online, I hardly ever know where I'm going and I certainly don't know where the worthwhile picks ups are. I admit, I just need to keep playing.

Uncle_Brainhorn

Dec 18, 2009
Practice. It's the only way. But then, I've also been playing FPS for well over a decade, so it's easier said than done.

Pontus Hashis

Feb 22, 2010
Switch to Ps3...
Or just play singleplayer on hardest dif and become a god of that game.. And get your cute ass kicked att the next game cus of minor control changes..
Best of luck!!

Zannah

Jan 27, 2010
deth2munkies said:
Sell your Xbox 360 and use it to buy a PC. Now you're good at shooters.
Seriously, this.

I wouldn't hit a house with a gamepad.

For anything more specific - depends on the game. The most efficient, but quite brutal way is probably to get someone who is really good at them, then play with them for three days straight, and watch the killcams (worked for me).
(Oh and don't let boys discourage you, girls can be as good at this at anybody, but winning is sweeter, when they know your a girl (and talked big at you, beforehand).

Shepard's Shadow

Don't be afraid of the dark.
Mar 27, 2009
To answer your questions in order: Yes, yes I am, played a lot of N64 when I was growing up, tips? Tips? Go buy an N64 and Goldeneye 007, Perfect Dark and The World is Not Enough. Those games should improve your FPS skills, also play Portal.

TAGM

Dec 16, 2008
Practice.
That's really about all you can do. Play single player, if you want, but it's best to just charge right in, take your initial teabagging and "loln00b" or "lolgilsdontplyhaol" and so forth, learn from your mistakes, and you shall go from the teabag-ie to the teabag-er, And all the other gamers will love you!

... Which, considering that you're a girl and they're proabably boys... may not be a good thing.