How to Beat Portal in 8½ Minutes

Tohron

Apr 3, 2010
Jack Rascal said:
I have never played Portal, so this might be a stupid question. But why the name on the "gun" keeps changing? It goes between "Gocnak" and "Inexistence", don't know about the third name. Has this video been pieced from different playthroughs or is this multiplayer?

Like I said, haven't played the game so don't shoot me if I'm asking a very stupid question :)
The names are added by a mod - they indicate which person played that segment of the speedrun.

Jack Rascal

May 16, 2011
Tohron said:
Jack Rascal said:
I have never played Portal, so this might be a stupid question. But why the name on the "gun" keeps changing? It goes between "Gocnak" and "Inexistence", don't know about the third name. Has this video been pieced from different playthroughs or is this multiplayer?

Like I said, haven't played the game so don't shoot me if I'm asking a very stupid question :)
The names are added by a mod - they indicate which person played that segment of the speedrun.
Thank you! That explains a lot :)

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Elate said:
This should be disqualified, glitches are not in good sportsmanship.
I think that there are 2 types of speedruns, one with glitches and one without, they are both interesting to watch since the one with glitches can use them in very creative ways

AgentNein

Jun 14, 2008
I really, really don't get the complaining about the runners using glitches in the game or not. It's not like they're trying to hide it, right? It's a glitched speedrun. It's like racing on foot vs. racing on a bike. They're still both entirely valid forms of racing, right? No one in their right mind would say that the guy in a bike is somehow cheating at racing... right?

I mean, I get not particularly enjoying glitched speedrun videos. They can be really annoying to try and follow. I enjoyed this one, mainly for the end where they get into that freaking room which I could have swore was a piece of cutscene before. That cake looks too good. And that's crazy. BUT I DIGRESS! I don't enjoy watching any speed runs really. I like a good let's play. Watching a gamer experience all the little things for the first time at a normal pace. But I respect what was done here, in terms of the difficulty no doubt involved. Glitched speed run or not.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
just wow. now thats something im not bale to do or even want to try out. very impressive.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
See, I'm okay with speed runners using glitches in the game for speed runs. I mean, normally, I wouldn't do it because it sucks the fun out of the game. But then again, I don't do speed runs and they're doing this for a purpose.

Using hacks or cheat codes or whatever is wrong, though. That's breaking the game and reshaping it to your convenience. Glitches are just taking advantage of the game's weaknesses that were already there from the start. They just took the time to find it. No, I'm not pointing fingers at anyone. I'm just saying they're more or less just playing the game. So it's valid in my book.

The Bandit

Feb 5, 2008
Elate said:
This should be disqualified, glitches are not in good sportsmanship.
Madmanonfire said:
JezWilkinson said:
Finally, for the purists among you, team member Josh "Inexistence" Peaker has also completed a record-breaking run [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kg_1FP-o5rk] in a single sitting, without the use of any out-of-bounds glitches.
Now that's worthy of respect. Abusing glitches, not so much.
Please don't talk about things that you don't understand. I speedrun games, and glitches make the game much, much harder, not easier.

Pearwood

Mar 24, 2010
Ugh apparently people really care about legit speedrun records... it's fun to see people break games into a million pieces that's all I care about.

MortisLegio

Nov 5, 2008
Shjade said:
RE: Folks who aren't impressed by glitching - right there with you.

This is why I'm continually baffled by people who still obsess over speed-running Ocarina of Time when a speedrun of that game consists of "glitch the hell out of bombs and doors and walls as much as possible." If you ask me, that's not a speed run. That's skipping the game. Speed-running should involve, y'know, playing it.

I dunno, maybe I'm just crazy.
Agreed. Glitches just don't impress me. All it means is you found an exploit in the level/game to do something the creators never intended.

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
Shjade said:
RE: Folks who aren't impressed by glitching - right there with you.

This is why I'm continually baffled by people who still obsess over speed-running Ocarina of Time when a speedrun of that game consists of "glitch the hell out of bombs and doors and walls as much as possible." If you ask me, that's not a speed run. That's skipping the game. Speed-running should involve, y'know, playing it.

I dunno, maybe I'm just crazy.
Sounds like you're way behind on OoT. The current record [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaUCFrW_mEE] is down to close to 20 minutes and involves no bombs at all...and almost none of the game, for that matter. The tool-assisted version [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5THTOYdbtDY] has a few extra tricks that are impractical in real time and is a couple minutes quicker. It's a bit less impressive in a way, because the real time one is nearly as fast, but just for entertainment value I find it more fun because of the sheer ridiculousness of stuff like the Mido skip.

I know it's not so much playing the game as seeing how much you can break the game and tear it apart, but as a programmer I really enjoy the technical details behind how some of the weirder glitches work. I've also already played games like that at least once or twice myself, and I don't really need to sit there for hours and watch someone play OoT again when it's more fun (for me) to see someone push the engine to its limit and do something with it I never imagined was possible. I only really have the patience for non-glitched runs for much shorter games that are consistently entertaining to watch the entire way through.

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
Nalgas D. Lemur said:
Sounds like you're way behind on OoT.
No, I'm well aware of what they've done lately. I was referring to the last (and only) version I've personally watched, which was during one of the SDA marathons a few months ago. I'm kept more up to date on OoT's speedrun progress than I'd ever want to be by someone I know who's fixated on it and sends out messages on the subject whenever some new "breakthrough" happens.

No, I don't know why.

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
Shjade said:
Nalgas D. Lemur said:
Sounds like you're way behind on OoT.
No, I'm well aware of what they've done lately. I was referring to the last (and only) version I've personally watched, which was during one of the SDA marathons a few months ago. I'm kept more up to date on OoT's speedrun progress than I'd ever want to be by someone I know who's fixated on it and sends out messages on the subject whenever some new "breakthrough" happens.

No, I don't know why.
Ok, even I don't know why someone would follow something like that so actively unless they're participating in it themselves. I only check the "best of" TAS/SDA lists maybe once a year, if that, to see if there's anything really crazy that's happened, and I just happened to have caught a link to those somewhere. You really don't tend to miss a whole lot by completely ignoring a game for two years that can't be summed up by watching whatever the most recent best run is or even just reading the notes for it...

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
Nalgas D. Lemur said:
Ok, even I don't know why someone would follow something like that so actively unless they're participating in it themselves.
She does participate, but even then I don't understand the passion with which these folks go out of their way to break a game.