How to Make a Working Steampunk Keyboard

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
How to Make a Working Steampunk Keyboard

The PC keyboard might not actually run on steam but it would look at home in any Victorian drawing room.

Many of us are obsessed with stuff that looks like it could fit into an airship piloted by a guy named Cid. I'm not exactly sure what the fascination is with brass gears, brown leather and goggles, but I certainly am filled with glee whenever I see overly complicated costumes or machines that actually serve their function with a steampunk aesthetic. That's why I was impressed with the craftsmanship displayed by the Rampkins craft shop in Shropshire, England in building a functioning USB keyboard out of wood, vinyl and imagination. They call it the Buccaneer Keyboard.

[gallery=393]

The keyboard began its life as a DAS Ultimate [http://www.daskeyboard.com/], the model that clacks loudly when you press a key and isn't even labeled for the hardcore typists who don't need to look at their keys. Rampkins removed each key, then cut new ones from brass tubing before gluing each new key inside. After designing the layout, they then cut holes in a block of wood and padded it with hand-tooled leather. The holes were punched out and detailed with a scroll saw while a tray was made to hold the electronic innards of the keyboard.

The result is a damn fine piece of prop-making that I'd be proud to clack away at while penning the great Victorian novel I've been working on - To the Moon and Back in 99 Days.

Click here for more pictures of the Buccaneer Keyboard [http://www.rampkins.com/buccaneer_steampunk_kb.html].

Source: Rampkins [http://www.rampkins.com/buccaneer_steampunk_kb_buildlog.html]

Broken Blade

Nov 29, 2007
Oh? wow. That's an impressive piece of work. The little gold USB 2.0 cover is a nice touch too. Good job, Rampkins!

Craazhy

Tic-Tock and Crash
Aug 22, 2009
Oh holy poo, if I had the time, the money and the unlazyness, omg I would make the shit out of that shit.

Seriously, that's pretty tight. Someone should manufacture those *NUDGE NUDGE*

Catchy Slogan

Jun 17, 2009
I can't help but feel that it would be a giant fire hazard.

[sub]I hate being a kill joy... T_T[/sub]

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Um... do you take orders?! ^_^

Must ask, how well can you type with it? I would've thought that the brass keys would be rather uncomfortable...

imperialreign

Mar 23, 2010
Looks nice and cleen for the umpteenth steampunk keyboard mod I've seen . . . I've got to finally get around to doing this myself someday.

Sammaul

Nov 25, 2009
I want a complete set, imagine your monitor and rig in that same style....

Awesomeness.

Not the first mod I've seen, but the first steampunk one and this somehow makes more sense (aesthetically) to me than the others.

ripdajacker

Code Monkey
Oct 25, 2009
That's some impressive craftsmanship. Too bad he had to cut the Das, which is quite a good keyboard.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Ohhh it's very vintage looking! I bet it's alot easier to clean unless the modern day keybord (stupid dust getting underneath it and all).

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
I have to say, while it looks very awesome it looks like it would a pain in the fingers to type on!

The keys look about an inch tall, how could you type on it? One finger warriors would be ok but anything more advanced than that are pooped.

Craazhy

Tic-Tock and Crash
Aug 22, 2009
Catchy Slogan said:
I can't help but feel that it would be a giant fire hazard.

[sub]I hate being a kill joy... T_T[/sub]
SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Imagine how exciting it would be to try to put your computer-fire out without using water and short-circuiting it. IT WOULD BE LIKE A VIDEOGAME!

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

beautiful... and just down the road from me! Now for the whole set up and I'll be in geek heaven!