How to play Blue Ray on Windows 11

Saint of M

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 27, 2010
Country
United States
Have a Windows 11 laptop. Can play DVDs really good, but doesn't seem to want to play Blue Rays.
Preferred player is VLC.
Any programs or add ons to be able to play these as most of them have good extras and I like watching those.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Have a Windows 11 laptop. Can play DVDs really good, but doesn't seem to want to play Blue Rays.
Preferred player is VLC.
Any programs or add ons to be able to play these as most of them have good extras and I like watching those.
VLC doesn't natively support bluray afaik. Haven't tried myself, but you can apparently get it going by adding the right libraries to VLC

Alternatively, you can just rip your blurays with something like MakeMKV or Dumbofab. Just keep in mind that'll probably result in some pretty beefy files.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Preferred player is VLC.
Playing blu-rays on a PC these days is honest to Christ way more trouble than it is worth. Take Chimpzy's advice and either rip the damn things or just find them on a streaming service.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Does it even have a drive that is compatible with blurays? Cause if it just has a dvd drive then you aren't playing any blurays on it.

Reactions: Mister Mumbler

Saint of M

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 27, 2010
Country
United States
Does it even have a drive that is compatible with blurays? Cause if it just has a dvd drive then you aren't playing any blurays on it.
External Blue Ray Drive. THe External DVD players work wonders.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Can personally confirm MakeMKV works pretty well, at least on the 5 year old series's I just picked up.

Super hate that I'm having to download extra software and/or rip 40 gigs of data onto a hard drive to watch a 30 year old cartoon while I fish in Final Fantasy XIV, but it is what it is