How was I meant to know THAT?!

Gnoekeos

Apr 20, 2009
The resident evil 3ds game has that issue. Somewhere towards the begining of the game it one time briefly mentioned that you can do some sort of dodge or deflect move that you can go the entire game and never once really need it till you get to the end boss and if you can't do that move the ending becomes considerably more bothersome. After realizing that I was going to need to be able to do that move if I wanted to complete the game and not yank all my hair out I went looking first in the manual and found every other move and touch control detailed but not the one I needed. and the only in game mention was that it was a touch control but not what sort of motion I needed to make .

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Acrisius said:
Who the fuck is Bob Chipman..? :D

No bro, I think we misunderstand each other. Opening start on Windows is left click. Buying shit on Dota 2 is right click. Let's straighten that out, because I think we were talking about different things...

I've never played FF12....
AKA MovieBob, the Game Overthinker. Possibly the world's biggest Mario fanboy, and he's about 30 years old.

Yeah, I suppose this could have gone a lot better if you'd made it clear that left clicking was to open the start menu. Doesn't change the fact that you made a strawman argument. It doesn't exactly show off your best debating skills.

Neither have I, but from what I can tell from everyone in this thread talking about it, it's an optional collectible.

Okamiyasha

Jun 21, 2012
BoredWalker said:
In COD: Black Ops, there's a part in the campaign where you have to activate a bunch of barrels to clear out a bunch of otherwise infinitely respawning Korean soldiers. These barrels are never mentioned in dialogue or objective markers, are in the direct line of enemy fire with no cover (meaning that you would never go up to them out of curiosity or necessity), and look nondescript, like all of the other environmental objects. It wasn't until after several deaths and one stand that, in any other situation, would have advanced the plot, that I took cover behind one of the barrels during a panic moment and saw the little "press X to durby durby durr" that I actually got any sort of hint.
Actually Woods/Hudson explains it to you quite clearly if you pay attention to him...

Michael Goepfert said:
(Dark Souls)
Where the fuck is the second bell?!!
Also! You just have to talk to the guy sitting right next to the First Bonfire. Doesn't everyone talk to him as soon as they arrive from the Asylum?

AD-Stu

Oct 13, 2011
I think I've mentioned this one before, but Ultima V. Lord British's sandalwood box. 'nuff said, /thread.

I can't think of anything that's happened in any game that I've played in the past decade that comes even close to the shit developers used to pull in the 8-bit / early PC gaming era. Adventure games were big culprits, but they certainly weren't the only ones :p

OneOfTheMichael's

Jul 26, 2010
I watched a person playing a walkthrough of "don't be nervous talking to girls", and I was hilarious because the whole game was bullsh*t and only gave you two choice to a question like :

Q: "Hi my names Jessica
A1: "hey you wanna hang out?"
A2: "Hey my names ____"

You get one question wrong and she acts like a total B*tch to you.
And at one point your in a amusement park and she asks you randomly:
Q: "How tall is the tallest roller coaster"

And your just left there asking yourself "How the hell am I suppose to know this?", "why would she want to know this?", "would this ever happen in real life?"
and ultimately the whole game is just full of crap, seriosuly check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VB4tVpPiNys&list=PLF8EECE67143D2082&index=7&feature=plcp

TrevHead

Apr 10, 2011
Playing Landstalker (MD) atm, enjoyable but theres a point in the game where you have to talk a NPC to advance in the game. Only the NPC is hidden.

See that hidden path the character is facing? The NPC is at the end of it! I spent over a hour wondering what the hell I had to do before I broke down and looked it up on the net. Back in the day I would have been wondering the game for weeks without a clue as the game doesn't even point out to me that I have to talk to anybody. No its one of those obscure talk to everybody, use every item on everything and hope for the best puzzles. And the bloody NPC is THERE of all places.

Maeta

Jun 8, 2011
The hidden puzzles in Professor Layton games can often be a bit annoying: seem to have a 'touch literally everything' thing going on...

Lazy

Aug 12, 2012
BoredWalker said:
In COD: Black Ops, there's a part in the campaign where you have to activate a bunch of barrels to clear out a bunch of otherwise infinitely respawning Korean soldiers. These barrels are never mentioned in dialogue or objective markers, are in the direct line of enemy fire with no cover (meaning that you would never go up to them out of curiosity or necessity), and look nondescript, like all of the other environmental objects. It wasn't until after several deaths and one stand that, in any other situation, would have advanced the plot, that I took cover behind one of the barrels during a panic moment and saw the little "press X to durby durby durr" that I actually got any sort of hint.
I didn't even find out about the barrels until after I'd finished the game. I figured it was just another one of those sections where you have to keep pushing forward and eventually I managed to get through. It seems odd that, considering how big the Call of Duty series is on objective markers, they wouldn't use some kind of indicator to make it clear what you were supposed to do.

bossfight1

Apr 23, 2009
Darksiders and the challenge where you need to kill five enemies with the counter attack; it gives a brief "Press R1 to block right as the enemy attacks you" tutorial, I do so but War just blocks for a nanosecond as the enemy attacks and then drops his defenses so the enemy can smack him. What I eventually figured out was that I needed to HOLD R1 when the enemy attacks so War can do the counter move. SIGH.