How well do you know your anime openings?

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I just did a quiz to guess anime 50 openings.

I got 11/50.

Kind of disappointed I missed Stein's Gate considering I just watched that show last year. Actually I can't even remember the ending really, did it have a happy ending? I could sworn I made a post on the site talking about it, but I can't find it. Hmm... I blame CERN. Also should have got Bleach, but I did only watch 20-40 episodes 6 or 7 years ago.

I haven't seen the show, but I really dig the intro to Mirai Nikki. I may watch the show just based off of the strength of the opening song.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
If we were guessing just the anime, I think I'd do pretty well. If it was the actual opening itself, 0 out of 50 for sure.

Welp, I got 13. Should have been maybe 16. Lotta newer animes on the list, some that I've never even heard of before.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Ugh, so much terrible buttrock.

Anyway, 5/10. I got Cowboy Bebop, NGE, DBZ, Pokemon and Devilman Crybaby. Technically, also One Punch Man and One Piece, but those openings name drop.

EDIT: forgot Pokemon was in there too

Last edited:

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
I haven't seen the show, but I really dig the intro to Mirai Nikki. I may watch the show just based off of the strength of the opening song.
Be warned, it's trash with a trash protagonist and a trash support character.

If you like the word Yuki or name Yuki / Yuuki, don't ever watch that anime. Ever.

As for my results, 13/50

That's mostly because I never watched 35/50 of the animes shown in the video. Out of the ones I did watch I didn't recognize No Game No Life and Parasite ( great anime ).

The ones I did recognize were;
Deathnote, Attack on titan, Sword art online, Fullmetal alchemist, One punch man, Mirai Nikki, Naruto Shippuuden, One Piece, Evangelion, DBZ, Pokemon, Noragami and Cowboy Bebop

Last edited:

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
I only got 6, then again on that list I only watched 6. That's better a ratio than I thought considering so many anime series I watch change opening themes twice a season. I've never understood why FMAB which had a brilliant theme in "Again" would ever decide to change it. If that video had picked any of its other themes I might not have recognized it. I got it, DBZ, Pokemon, Cowboy Bebop, Kakegurui, Kill la Kill, and Your Lie in April. The only one I saw and missed on the list was Elfen Lied. The one I recognized without having seen was Pokemon.

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I've never understood why FMAB which had a brilliant theme in "Again" would ever decide to change it. If that video had picked any of its other themes I might not have recognized it.
This is true, the first intro to FMAB was by far the best one. Some of the others weren't bad, but didn't really come close to the first.

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Ugh, so much terrible buttrock.

Anyway, 5/10. I got Cowboy Bebop, NGE, DBZ, Pokemon and Devilman Crybaby. Technically, also One Punch Man and One Piece, but those openings name drop.

EDIT: forgot Pokemon was in there too
I read your list before the edit and thought "wow, how could anybody not know the Pokemon theme? I thought that one was a gimme."

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
This is true, the first intro to FMAB was by far the best one. Some of the others weren't bad, but didn't really come close to the first.
Don't know why, but something about Yui's voice or singing style is very grating to me.

Personally I find the fourth opening to be the best of the series ( song called Period ).

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Don't know why, but something about Yui's voice or singing style is very grating to me.

Personally I find the fourth opening to be the best of the series ( song called Period ).
4 is good too, I actually liked all the openings enough to put them on my ipod after watching the show. Except for 5 cause it's slow and boring.

You know, I didn't think you liked anime at all. Could have sworn you were always talking about the degeneration of the weeb.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
4 is good too, I actually liked all the openings enough to put them on my ipod after watching the show. Except for 5 cause it's slow and boring.

You know, I didn't think you liked anime at all. Could have sworn you were always talking about the degeneration of the weeb.
I quite like / liked anime, for over twenty years now.

However, what I don't like is Otaku and Weeb culture surrounding parts of anime.

Things like people discussing and obsessing over female characters as virtual wifes, parts of the industry now heavily leaning into this subculture and endlessly pandering to it. Characters that act like they're lobotomized in a bit to be deemed "kawaii", tsundere, yandere whatever character stereotypes. Gratuitous panty and ass shots, female characters having the weirdest poses just to show them off in a pin-up like manner. Self insert power fantasy harem anime ( sword art online being one of the main offenders ).

I think the most recent anime I watched lately might have been Dragon Ball Super, One Punch Man season 2 or Yowamushi Pedal. Although I also catch the occasional episode of Boruto, whenever my filler-radar is back from the shop.

Last edited:

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I quite like / liked anime, for over twenty years now.

However, what I don't like is Otaku and Weeb culture surrounding parts of anime.

Things like people discussing and obsessing over female characters as virtual wifes, parts of the industry now heavily leaning into this subculture and endlessly pandering to it. Characters that act like their lobotomized in a bit to be deemed "kawaii", tsundere, yandere whatever character stereotypes. Gratuitous panty and ass shots, female characters having the weirdest poses just to show them off in a pin-up like manner. Self insert power fantasy harem anime ( sword art online being one of the main offenders ).

I think the most recent anime I watched lately might have been Dragon Ball Super, One Punch Man season 2 or Yowamushi Pedal. Although I also catch the occasional episode of Boruto, whenever my filler-radar is back from the shop.
Ah, I see. Ok then. Hmm, didn't know One Punch Man had a season 2, might have to get around to watching that.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Eh... haven't done it (technically supposed to be working ATM, I'll give it a go later and check back if I can be bothered)... but I predict a terrible score. I only like a few genres of anime/manga and avoid shounen like the plague, so judging from the comments, that means I've missed out on a fair few points already. My watch time of anime is pretty low these days, much lower than when I was a uni/grad student, and I typically ignore OP/ED's unless they really click with me. I'm more inclined to enjoy insert music.

Lllllllllllllllikewise... though for... well, shit, I was going to say not as much as 20 years, but thinking on it, it has been that long.

I don't mind joking with people about waifu's, [insert name] is best girl memes, etc., but damn, do some corners take it so ultra-seriously, it's genuinely scary. Then you've got the potential flamewars re: doujin. I don't know if it's still a thing, but I imagine it is, though I don't care to confirm it for the sake of my sanity.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Ah, I see. Ok then. Hmm, didn't know One Punch Man had a season 2, might have to get around to watching that.
Animation isn't handled by Madhouse in the second season, so prepare for a quality drop. Story wise, even for One Punch man, it's rather lackluster as well.