How would you bring a non-gamer into gaming?

Dandark

Sep 2, 2011
Ragetrain said:
King of Asgaard said:
Invite the person over.
Pop in Dark Souls.
Leave for an hour (make up an excuse).
Return to the inevitable carnage.
Laugh long and hard.
(Of course, some might kick ass, but it's not very likely)

I laughed far more then i should of done at this idea. Does that make me evil? D:
It makes you a Dark Souls boss.
So yes. It makes you evil.

OT: I would probably stick with something they can learn easily and enjoy, prefrably a sandbox kinda game. Skyrim could maybe work. Red dead: Redemption isn't a bad idea either. My sister loved that game, it is pretty much what got her into them more. That and minecraft.

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
If they have a sense of humour and/or fans of a spoofed film series, I'd suggest one of the Lego games. The co-op means you can play along with them and the gameplay is relatively easy as well as them generally being a lot of fun.

Avalanche91

Jan 8, 2009
Can't go wrong with Portal or a Mario Game. Easy to master, but increasingly difficult, either trough puzzles or reflexes. Fable and Uncharted games are also quite accesible for new players (not entirely sure about the later one).

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
Ragetrain said:
King of Asgaard said:
Invite the person over.
Pop in Dark Souls.
Laugh long and hard.

I laughed far more then i should of done at this idea. Does that make me evil? D:
Yes, and you should be PROUD of your accomplishments.

Rastien

Pro Misinformationalist
Jun 22, 2011
King of Asgaard said:
Ragetrain said:
King of Asgaard said:
Invite the person over.
Pop in Dark Souls.
Laugh long and hard.

Even seasoned gamers have been cracking there teeth and spitting blood at dark souls hehe awesome game though

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
Rastien said:
King of Asgaard said:
Ragetrain said:
King of Asgaard said:
Invite the person over.
Pop in Dark Souls.
Laugh long and hard.

Even seasoned gamers have been cracking there teeth and spitting blood at dark souls hehe awesome game though
That's part of the fun, though, isn't it?

Cr33dl0rd

May 5, 2011
I always like to show people epic music videos from my favorite games, that mostly gets them into the game.
For example:

Mass Effect http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzHqQbz78-s

Star Wars: Republic commando (sorry, bad quality) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e267lG5WLXM

Alice: Madness Returns http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBCy03Qc81Y&feature=related

Portal 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZIVmKOdrBk

Tallim

Mar 16, 2010
Depends on the person but try to start with something that is fun without being complicated to pay and something that looks good. Obvious pitfalls are things like FPS games as to someone who is a non-gamer the controls that seem natural to us for looking and moving will be a whole skillset for them to learn.

May 17, 2010
Accept that some people won't be interested no matter what you do. Doesn't mean they can't respect it but the same way you don't want to forced and pressured into something you shouldn't make someone play games, they will hate it.

MorsePacific

Nov 5, 2008
I wouldn't try at all. Gaming is a hobby that lots of people enjoy, but not everyone. If they want to do it, they'll get into it themselves. If it's someone special, I can put down the controller and do something else with them.

Chanel Tompkins

Nov 8, 2011
I've always used games that are two things:
1) Known for being very simple
2) Known for being friendly
Then again, the only one I've ever tried to get into games was my mom.

Smertnik

Apr 5, 2010
Like this
<youtube=_NMzepSePD4>
but you put a controlling device in their hands. Or maybe you just play for yourself and leave them this way to admire your masterful gaming skills. They'll probably fail at the game anyway.

Swyftstar

May 19, 2011
I've gotten a few friends into gaming.
Co-op games have been the key. Usually simple ones. Hack and slash, action rpgs usually work. Some co-op shooters are good too. You can play with them and hold their hands so they don't get frustrated with losing but they still feel like they contributed to the victory. Adventure games where most of the gameplay consists of decisions are good too so you can play together and both have input on what you do next.

phantasmalWordsmith

Oct 5, 2010
Well...I don't think it's easy to shift someone into a..."hobby"? "lifestyle"? Whatever.

Start with little things such as bejewelled 2, Angry Birds, etc. Then move to something like Call of duty, or halo, the campaign mode. From there, let them make their own decisions and allow them to play what they want from my collection...till they've completed a couple games then allow them to run free with it and just help them if I think they need it

him over there

Dec 17, 2011
I have a friend I'm slowly getting into gaming. She plays red dead with cheats on on her brothers xbox because of the horse riding so I told her to try twilight princess. She actually owned the game but had never gotten past the beginning town. I played for a bit and she said she didn't want to because she was bad at the game. What surprised me was I told her to check out nintendocaprisun's let's play and she is blazing through it. Next week I'm getting texts at night asking me how to get past the forest temple. So I think any game will do if you expose them to it outside of playing it at first.

Gennadios

Aug 19, 2009
Start co-op, MMOs and stat heavy games are pointless because of level differences and a steep learning curve, get some actiony horde mode game where you can cover each other's back and handle it 20 minute chunks.

Or find a theme a person would like. I'm experimenting with getting one friend that's a fan of The Walking Dead into gaming by getting a season pass for The Walking Dead series of adventure games that's upcoming.

Hosker

Aug 13, 2010
You will want to go with something easy, but other than that I think you have to think about the individual's personal taste.