How would you Change the canon?

AgDr_ODST

Cortana's guardian
Oct 22, 2009
Just a simple question that I've thought about at length that I would like to ask my fellow escapists. How in what way big or small would you change your favorite series (game, movie book, anime all forms are welcome) if you been granted the option to do so?

For starters I would take the Harry Potter book's and have Cho Chang stay as Harry's love interest and make it work instead of allowing that to end in disaster and him move on to Ginny which is kinda cliche in my humble estimation. That is the biggest one for me, other things (while they really arent technically 'canon changes') would be allowing player choice in the beginning of Read Dead Redemption's final act so that we can whether John marches to certain death out the barn door or flees with his family. I would have had the 2nd Boondock Saints movie made at least 5 years sooner than it actually was. I'd expand on Halo 2's ending so we wouldn't be left with *'finishing this fight' /fade to credits*. And also while again not canon changing I would do the collective Valve fanbase a favor and have the much promised Episode 3/Half Life 3 finally made.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Star Wars Expanded Universe. Kill everything that happens after The Unifying Force in the timeline. Yes, there is stuff I like in the era, but it is buried under a monumental pile of shit.

Troy Denning is a fucking hack of a writer. He pulled a Frank Miller, starting his career in the EU with some genuinely great books, before taking a nose dive and making Jedi fucking demigods mixed with Super Sayans.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Well I would elimates the Red Dwarf episodes after season 6 (the cliff hanger was when they were fighting against their evil time travelling self).
I wouldn't know what changes I would do to maintain the humour and the story but I know for one thing is that Rimmer had never left nor did they recreated Red Dwaft and the crew along with it. Maybe instead they were able to reclaim the original ship instead of recreating it from nanobots.

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
Fix most of the crap that George Lucas has done to his own creation lately. Just stop George.

Shadowstar38

Jul 20, 2011
Dragon Ball Z
-I'd change everything after the Cell saga so that Gohan is actually a decent fighter and can replace the older guys, instead of Goku coming to save the day for the 100th time.

Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
- Have Desmond fight someone at the end. No one cared about the present day stuff at the time and that would have gave us something.

Boondock Saints 2
- Have the brothers die in that last gunfight. Its really unlikely we're getting a sequel at this point. They should have at least send us off in a good way, rather than hint at a sequel that they'll never make.

MLP: FIM
- Let Discord escape. MLP doesnt have enough good villains and they change the best one to stone. I call bullcrap.

Idsertian

Legacy
Apr 8, 2011
I would change GLaDOS' appearance in either Portal or Portal 2 to match up across the board, as well as explaining how she managed to suddenly become intact again after being totally ripped apart at the end of the first game. It bothers me.

I would also do something to explain why, at the beginning of HL2: E2, the train is perpendicular to the Citadel, when it is apparently derailed much closer to City 17 and whilst parallel to the aforementioned installation. It again, bugs me.

In Assassin's Creed 2, Desmond passes out in one of the hallways in the Assassin hideout, has that dream, then is woken up by what's her face (the tech girl, forget her name) in the bed in the main room. No one even mentions how he got to the bed, despite being passed out in the corridor. Bleh.

/nerdy nit-picking

AgDr_ODST

Cortana's guardian
Oct 22, 2009
ooohh and one other thing, I'd change twilight canon, the bella girl gets hit and killed by that car that nearly runs her over

Toriver

Lvl 20 Hedgehog Wizard
Jan 25, 2010
Sonic: they could've taken at least SOMETHING from the SatAM canon to work with when they moved to the Dreamcast rather than going completely Japanese canon. Even Japan acknowledges that the old Japanese canon sucked. And everything between Heroes and Colors didn't happen. They just didn't happen. Heroes gets a pass because it isn't THAT bad, and Colors is actually good, IMO. Another one: the Chaotix and most of Sonic's friends wouldn't exist. Save Tails, Knuckles, Shadow, Rouge, and make Amy less annoying, and get rid of the rest of Sonic's allies. And turn Shadow evil again. Having just Robotnik as the villain gets old, and Shadow was far more interesting as a villain, or at least in a conflicted state, than when he went straight anti-hero. Shadow was created to be the "dark" evil-twin of Sonic: bring him back to those roots. You've already got one decent rival ally in Knuckles, you don't need a crappy one.

Oh, and MOAR KNUCKLES.

Alphonse_Lamperouge

Oct 19, 2011
Death Note - L's death was faked and, in one last masterful ruse, reveals himself just as Light thinks hes won. this would also remove the absolutely terrible characters that are Melo and Near.

ntw3001

Sep 7, 2009
Star Wars: The reason there was a garbage monster on the Death Star was because Nute Gunray wanted it there. 'Can we have a, uh, garbage monster?' Yes Nute, fine. We'll have a garbage monster.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I wouldn't. I'm not arrogant enough to think that I could do a better job than the original creator and/or those in creative control of it.

Edit: Besides that, I hate arbitrary changes in cannon faaaaaaaaaar more than I hate anything that's done in cannon.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
AgDr_ODST said:
) would be allowing player choice in the beginning of Read Dead Redemption's final act so that we can whether John marches to certain death out the barn door or flees with his family. I would have had the 2nd Boondock Saints movie made at least 5 years sooner than it actually was. I'd expand on Halo 2's ending so we wouldn't be left with *'finishing this fight' /fade to credits*. And also while again not canon changing I would do the collective Valve fanbase a favor and have the much promised Episode 3/Half Life 3 finally made.
interesting Ideas there...

in regards to red dead...what would happen if John fled with his family? would it be good or bad? Im guessing given a choice in a game like that..john sacrificing himself would have to have the "better" ending...except in the game as far as we can gather, depressingly jack turns out like his dad (although we can pretend he didnt)

anyway I would change the ending of Red dead in that jack becomes a writer and goes on to write his fathers story..it would be SOMTHING after all that depressing heartache

anyway...shepard would be female..on the boxart :p...actually Im kidding, because there is no cannon..promotional material doesnt count

ummm Fallout 3 protagonist would be female (I acutlaly think it works better) and DOESNT die in the end....except again thats pointless because there is no cannon and he/she doesnt because of broken steel...which is canon

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
canadamus_prime said:
I wouldn't. I'm not arrogant enough to think that I could do a better job than the original creator and/or those in creative control of it.

Edit: Besides that, I hate arbitrary changes in cannon faaaaaaaaaar more than I hate anything that's done in cannon.
3 words...

star wars prequels....

most of the time the creator is right

somtimes they are just plain WRONG

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
Sword of Truth series is my favorite. Canon changes? I honestly really fucking like the canon the way it is, but let me think about it for a second. I would make the unwritten rule known for sure, not leave it quasi ambiguous. Oh, and
I wouldn't kill off Warren

The second one is actually the one I would do first. Oh, and fitch the character would pretty much just cease to exist. God he was annoying as fuck.

Rodrigo Girao

May 13, 2011
StarFox: disregard everything except the two SNES games and the '93 Nintendo Power comic.

Dinosaur Planet: restore what it was going to be before they crammed StarFox into it.

Sonic, option 1: Archie becomes the canon.

Sonic, option 2: the series died with the Dreamcast and producing new games is strictly forbidden.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
I used to be a huge Star Wars fan as a kid, but my fandom has cooled significantly in recent years thanks to the lackluster prequels and Expanded Universe material. The following is from a post I made earlier this year about how I would change the prequels (wall-o-text incoming. You have been warned):
If I was in charge, "Episode I" would actually be where Episode II starts. Stuff that happened in The Phantom Menace wouldn't be brought up, or if it did it would only be through vague allusions. The character of Anakin would be radically different from how he was portrayed in the "official" prequels. First off, there would be no bullshit "Chosen One" prophesy. None of that "virgin birth" stuff either, as I just thought that was creepy (I still like to think Shmi just didn't want to discuss the father, and Qui-Gon was gullible enough to believe her lie).

After watching the Thor movie last week, I couldn't help but think to myself that the main character was almost exactly how I envisioned Anakin to be before the prequels ruined my image of him. I imagined a brave, strong warrior that relished action and excitement, yet still cared about those around him. He would exude confidence and charisma, easily forming lasting bonds with his friends and colleagues. He would be prone to theatrical displays, yet still manage to deliver genuine words of wisdom and stir the hearts of those who heard them.

There would be one major weakness however; he would have a burning need to see justice prevail. To that end, he would begin to dabble with powers of the Dark side, tempted by its promise of power. Thinking he could control it, he would delve deeper and deeper until it would ultimately consume him. By the time anyone realized the full extent of his fall, it would be too late.

When it comes to the Jedi Order, I would definitely change a few major things about it. First off, they would be cool with love and raising families. As Jolee Bindo pointed out in KOTOR, love doesn't lead to the Dark side. Passion can, but only if you let it. Indeed, was it not love that ultimately redeemed Anakin in the end? Also, the Order wouldn't be snatching babies away for training. I always felt that such actions were tantamount to kidnapping, something you wouldn't expect a supposedly noble organization like the Jedi to practice. At least wait until they're adolescents before you begin training.

Oh yeah, and no midichlorians either.

Warning: the following is kind of long.

As for the story, it would begin with the Clone Wars. Palpatine secretly creates a vast clone army to fight (not protect) the Republic and begins by launching devastating assaults on many key worlds. Faced with such a ferocious onslaught, the Senate grants Palpatine emergency powers to enact such measures as drafting vast numbers of soldiers from the population to bolster defenses and increasingly invasive monitoring of Republic citizens in the interest of "security." The effects of the war begin to take their toll, and soon the Republic is faced with additional crises like an influx of refugees along with hunger and poverty. Appalled with this turn of events, the Jedi Order agrees to assist the Republic in their military endeavors, but it's still an uphill battle. As the war drags on, Palpatine continues to consolidate his position as supreme ruler.

It is against this backdrop that the tale of Anakin Skywalker is told. While campaigning with his master Obi-Wan, he takes pity on a sick and weak refugee woman and nurses her back to health. Pity turns to friendship, and eventually blossoms into genuine love. With the Council's blessing, they are married. War calls Anakin away however, and is forced to leave his pregnant wife back on Coruscant. It is while he's away that he eventually succumbs to the Dark side and becomes Darth Vader. When he returns for a brief home leave, she is horrified at the man he has become. After he leaves again she flees to a faraway planet and gives birth to twins.

It is around the same time that the full extent of Palpatine's plan finally reveals itself. Knowing that the Jedi Order will challenge any attempt at complete power, Palpatine orders his secret police to destroy the Senate building. Claiming that the Jedi were responsible for this act of sabotage (along with phony evidence to bolster his claims), Palpatine declares them to be enemies of the Republic and orders that they be hunted down and annihilated. The Jedi, already severely weakened by the war, find themselves caught in the crossfire. The remaining number scatter to the far corners of the galaxy, where most of them will eventually be hunted down by Vader.

With the Jedi seemingly out of the way, Palpatine declares that the Republic will be reformed into an Empire in the interest of maintaining security. All of his "temporary" powers are now permanent, along with a whole slew of new ones that grant him total control of the Empire. Palpatine secretly orders the production of clones to be stopped, resulting in the cessation of hostilities (Imperial propagandists are quick to label it a victory). One conflict leads to another though, as a small group of appalled Senators and activists secretly form a Rebel Alliance to stop Palpatine's tyranny. In some ways this plays to Palpatine's advantage however, as it provides the necessary pretext for maintaining his iron grip on the galaxy. Warfare simply becomes a way of life in the Empire.

To wrap up Anakin's personal story, Obi-Wan tracks him down to Mustafar in order to confront his former pupil. The resulting fight plays out much like the one in Revenge of the Sith, but much shorter and more of a focus on the emotions at play than the set pieces. Vader is left for dead, but manages to survive due to his new Dark side powers. Donning his iconic suit of armor, he becomes the Emperor's second-in-command and a not-so-subtle reminder for the military commanders to remain loyal. On a final tragic note, Anakin's wife is unable to support her children while in hiding. She makes the heartbreaking decision to give the twins to foster parents on Tatooine and Alderaan. The deed done, she dies shortly thereafter due to hunger brought about by abject poverty. Knowing that he can do no more at this time, Obi-Wan decides to keep an eye on the boy Luke, for he may yet be the galaxy's new hope...
As for the Expanded Universe, I think Star Trek has a much better system: only the official TV series and films are canonical, while all third-party sources (novels, comic books, games, etc.) are non-canon or regarded as an "alternate universe" story.