How would you continue the Mass Effect universe? Spoilers

Lucem712

*Chirp*
Jul 14, 2011
I think I read that if BioWare returns to the series, all the games would be prequels. Don't quote me though, that's probably 180% wrong.

I'd go back and make a story with a Shepard-esque Krogan. That'd be the shit. (Don't mind me, I just love Krogans :3 )

jehk

Mar 5, 2012
viper3 said:
I'm a little surprised no one has mentioned the whole 'stargazer' thing...Or the citadel blowing up or not...I'd think if they did they'd spin it as a 'every hero throughout history has been called 'Shepard' deal and just build from there.
I wouldn't even go that far ahead. Keep it within 20 years of the Reaper War.

The entirety of the galaxy is going to be reforming around proximity to each other instead of just proximity to a relay. I can see there being a huge need to establish contact with lost colonies.

MorsePacific

Nov 5, 2008
So, let's say that the galaxy is rebuilding, right? They manage to get it back up to speed pretty fast, through some kind of convenient plot device, right? How do we step up the conflict now that the Reapers are done? Well, you don't have to. You just have to bring something new in.

Intergalactic war.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
No doubt this isn't the last Mass Effect.

Maybe the relays get rebuilt?
I want to be given the choice of what race I would like to be.

Like if you choose to be an Asari or Turian, you must lead your race to a better homeworld or something, since Thessia and Palaven got pwnd.
Choose to be Krogan (Genophage cured) you can choose to conquer the rest of the galaxy.
Choose to be Salarian (Genophage cured) you can create a new way to stop the Krogan from taking over.

I think this is a good idea, therefore BioWare will not do this.

jehk

Mar 5, 2012
MorsePacific said:
Intergalactic war.
Doesn't even have to be intergalactic. Could be just between two powers that are rising out of the ashes of the Reaper War. There's definitely going to be a ton of people that will try to jump in the power vacuum left behind.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
There are too many decision points to create a story anywhere around the existing Mass Effect universe. To assume things about the Geth or Krogan would just feel off based on player experience.

If the story were to take place after the events of Mass Effect 3 it would have to be something like 40,000 years forward.

Without the reapers to balance the galaxy it has essentially fallen into the predicted chaos. There is no known way to fix this war between synthetics and organics which is where you come in.

Though personally I'd like a small scale game. Limit it to one planet or single solar system where you deal with the social and political ramifications of the war. There's no reason to try and top the events of the reapers as they were pretty much as dire as things get.

devilofthemist

Feb 13, 2012
a mass effect rts, either during the war with the reapers or the rachni war, or maybe the protheans vs the reapers

just take my money

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
What I would want is very simple. We need the universe repaired after the Reaper conflict, right?

NANAAA-NANANANANA-NANA Katamari Mass Effect!

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Space Combat sim or Garrus spin-off.

Or a Garrus spin-off where he becomes a fighter pilot at one point...

No! The world is not yet ready for so much win.

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
devilofthemist said:
a mass effect rts, either during the war with the reapers or the rachni war, or maybe the protheans vs the reapers

just take my money
This, that would be a great direction to go in. Hell even if its against the batarians or something like that with the odd reaper showing up to fuck your shit up (aka how in galciv 2 the dreadlords would drop in once in awhile just to dick with you).

Either that or the galactic races would have to find a way to survive without the relays (unlikely since the franchise is named after the made up science behind the relay travel system) or they find a way to build their own relays. They could even make it fit the plot if they tried by saying it came from the prothean data liara found on mars. Vigil mentions in ME1 that the protheans were on the brink of understanding the relay tech when the reapers started the cycle.

devilofthemist

Feb 13, 2012
ash-brewster said:
devilofthemist said:

just take my money
This, that would be a great direction to go in. Hell even if its against the batarians or something like that with the odd reaper showing up to fuck your shit up
or an alternate reality game where you play as the reapers slowly destroying all of galactic civilization

trooper6

Jul 26, 2008
1) Everyone isn't stranded on Earth because a) not everyone was at Earth and b) we all still have FTL travel. Remember flying between solar systems in order to do all your scanning? People will be able to leave.

2) The mass effect relays had to be destroyed because they were crutches by the Reapers to limit and shape the development of sentient life's space faring. Without them we will be able to advance and explore in new ways. If we rebuild them, we will finally actually learn that technology ourselves and really create new advances. There are bunches of systems we don't know anything about because we never went there because a) there was no mass effect relay to bring us there and it wasn't near one of our regular relay systems or b) they were attached to regular relays that we were too afraid to open the relay to. In order to really reach our full potential, we need to stop relying on all that Reaper tech that we didn't understand.

3) not all fans hated the ending, I thought it was great.

As to what to do next? I trust Bioware to come up with a cool premise if they want to make a new game. But I could see a Star Trek: the Original Series set up. Set it 50 years after the crucible when we are in a process of rebuilding and exploring the new universe. We are the crew of an exploration ship exploring all of those unknown systems we never got to because we were over-reliant on the mass effect relays.

Jowe

May 26, 2010
First contact war, beginning on mars and the uncovering of the prothean stuff there, ending with humanity becoming part of the council. It would be less shooty than the others, but I'm more in it for the lore and story than the mediocre combat.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Beyond the fact that the relays have been destroyed, I just don't see any plot that could equate to the magnitude of the Mass Effect plot. You're trying to prevent giant space robots from killing EVERYTHING in the galaxy. Simply having another war break out would seem kinda petty and insignificant compared to fending of ancient monsters that have destroyed the galaxy countless times over.

Personally I wouldn't mind seeing a kinda Mass Effect: Battlefront type of game. A game that features a slew of battles from the Rachni War, Mourning War, Krogan Rebellions, First Contact War, and hell, they could even throw in some battles from the Reaper War.

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
devilofthemist said:
ash-brewster said:
devilofthemist said:

just take my money
This, that would be a great direction to go in. Hell even if its against the batarians or something like that with the odd reaper showing up to fuck your shit up
or an alternate reality game where you play as the reapers slowly destroying all of galactic civilization
That would be kind of cool, maybe having to start with a weak race first like the batarians as me3 because they are disorganized and too paranoid to mount a effective defense.
Or heck start with Earth and have to work your way to the better defended species worlds .
The turians for example put up a massive fight and inflicted heavy damage/destroyed a few capital ship reapers during the attack on Palavan.

Lt._nefarious

Apr 11, 2012
I imagine the next ME game will have a new protagonist and will probably take place before or during ME3... Possibly set in between ME1 & 2

Gamergeek25

Mar 29, 2011
With a Shepard's Version of Dance Dance Revolution lmao Shepard has saved the galaxy, but can he best the dance floor?

JasonBurnout16

Oct 12, 2009
I'd take the game from space travel to staying on one world and travelling to different locations on that world. Maybe Illium as that seems the most interesting. Omega could be a good world also, though may have less diverse locations.

Then I'd have it so the player can be any race the player wants, with any ability they want.

Lastly, it would be set after ME1-3, but wouldn't use or mention the series apart from maybe a few easter egg appearances. This is a seperate game after all.

Maybe have the storyline as the player trying to establish himself in the global empire or something. Sheperd starts as a pretty important guy frmo the start, I'd like to play as a nobody trying to be a somebody.