How would you describe your life and yourself up till now?

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
For myself, I would say that my life has been one long journey of me attempting to understand my fellow man. I do not see the normal pathways of communication that everyone around me uses and sees so easily, when I look at a face I see any number of possible intents behind them and have no idea where to start with deciding which intent it is. It has taken me a long time on this journey to understand the things I do that bother others and to learn to avoid doing them but I still have so much I cannot really learn out of my system.

My face is usually as inexpressive as my (previous) avatar's I can't tell what other people are thinking or intending and so I don't know what is a safe or correct expression to show and so I feel I've just naturally ended up with a default expression that is very unreadable and probably unnerving to others at times.

I have tried to understand why it is that we cannot just say what we mean and instead must have a song and dance where we don't say how we really feel directly and just be efficient about our communication process. Why do people only listen when you over-exaggerate your point, why is "winning" never enough but a gain must be pushed until significant force pushes back?

Because of the effort required for me to have a normal conversation, I find I cannot spend near the amount of time socializing that normal people can, and so I frequently retreat to my cloistered room in my home so I can drop all the need to watch what I say or how I look or interpret what others are saying or how they look. And yet I can't deal with being truly alone for long amounts of time, I hate being alone but being with others takes so much more effort than it feels like it should.

I think the biggest thing that I have tried to understand is why is it that people gifted with the normal ability to be intuitive of what others mean in turn also seem to not think about how other people are... people like themselves. The fact that it requires so much more effort for me to intuit the thoughts and feelings of others seems to make me much more sensitive to when I end up hurting others emotionally.

Sorry if this was rambling, I just felt the inexplicable need to get out my thoughts on my "cross to bear".

Last edited:

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
A long series of terrible, terrible decisions that I have now just about managed to set myself right from.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
I've spent 30 years realizing most people are not worth knowing, most things are not worth doing, most places are not worthy seeing and most goals are not worth achieving.
Find the few people/places/things/goals you can actually stand and do you god damn fucking hardest to cherish them, support and nurture them. Life is too short to waste time trying to enjoy someone or change yourself to meet a goal you don't really want.

For example I've been to Europe a couple of times, that's pretty cool and I want to see more. I've been to Canada a few times and I'm good with not going back. I want to see New Zealand one day and do the whole LoTR thing, that sounds cool. The rest of the world? Yeah no, doesn't look like a very enjoyable place.
Oh I do want to see Hawaii one day, but only to say I did. I love oceans and deep water, but hate beaches, resorts, heat and sand. Oh and terrible folk music. Skimpy swimsuits are take it or leave it.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
Some sort of absurdist comedy would probably be the most accurate description of my life, as I seem to be involved often in situations so absurd that I often wonder if perhaps I haven't mistaken a dream for reality, as they are very hard to believe, even for myself and I lived though them.

As for myself, I don't know, I also tend to be pretty stoic and am very socially awkward mainly because I have a lot of trouble expressing myself, partly because even though I'm hyper aware of people and I'm told I'm pretty good at reading them often being able to tell that there's something wrong but you know I'm pretty bad at actually dealing with the situation as there are a lot of feelings that I don't quite understand so I end up making things really awkward.
Doesn't really help that I overthink and overanalyze everything, it's kinda funny in a way, because I do seem to have a gift for convincing people to accept what I tell them as the truth (For whatever reason everyone thinks I have the answers and that I'm smart even though I'm a moron.), and I tend to come across as very earnest so on top of me being fairly good looking it becomes hard for me to make a lot of enemies, but it doesn't really do me any favours when I'm trying to make friends, mostly because I can't really relate to anyone so I don't get sufficiently close to anyone.

So you know, everything seems really weird because even though most people I know are religious they all seem to trust and value what I say, despite being very openly atheistic, maybe because I'm always talking about how we can help people, like I swear if I had any ambitions at all I could easily become a successful preacher or politician but you know I'd rather be dead.

Ghostrick Dorklord

Ordinary High School Girl
Legacy
Oct 2, 2009
Through the Looking Glass
Country
Wonderland
I honestly don't know how I'd describe it. My life changes a lot. I guess if anything its hesitation and regret.

I've had it rough during most of my life, being constantly bullied and living in a shoddy neighborhood that I didn't go outside other than going to school. I then met the love of my life which was the most wonderful thing I've experienced but its all gone and I've been yearning for it for the past couple of years. Now I think I have a better grasp on who I am but it feels like its too late for me. I never really have done anything interesting and is too much of a late bloomer.

Sorry for rambling a bit there. Its just I don't know what to make of my life at this point nor do I know what to do at this point. There's just so much on my mind.

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
I honestly don't know how I'd describe it. My life changes a lot. I guess if anything its hesitation and regret.

I've had it rough during most of my life, being constantly bullied and living in a shoddy neighborhood that I didn't go outside other than going to school. I then met the love of my life which was the most wonderful thing I've experienced but its all gone and I've been yearning for it for the past couple of years. Now I think I have a better grasp on who I am but it feels like its too late for me. I never really have done anything interesting and is too much of a late bloomer.

Sorry for rambling a bit there. Its just I don't know what to make of my life at this point nor do I know what to do at this point. There's just so much on my mind.
Don't ever think it's too late.

I'm 42 and spent most of my life travelling in what was very, very much the wrong direction and it took me a good few years to turn the ship around so I was at least on a somewhat better course.

It's good you have a better grasp on who you are, I think we (humans in general) have a tendency to concentrate on outside factors and rarely look in at ourselves. The last 6 months have really got so much better because I've been doing just that. Obviously I don't know much about you, so I can't really say if the same things might help you, but I've been watching a couple of youtube channels and reading the odd book that's really helped. Having a lot of things buzzing round in your mind can be paralysing and things like these can help you structure your thoughts and actions in a way that lets you do something about it

Psych2go (YouTube) has really helped me realise a lot about myself and the way I (and to some extent others, but you're the important thing here) behave. Don't get too caught up in it though, dwelling on the bad things isn't healthy, once you have an understanding of it, move on to doing something about it.
Conflict communication (a book) has really helped in a "love of my life" situation that went very south and hit me very hard, but the book at least let me see what went wrong and how to do better in future even if the actual situation is now one consigned to history for the most part.
Better than yesterday (Youtube) has been very good for showing me how to change things for the better. I haven't written much on this, but it's a really important one I think.

I really spent far too long mired in hesitation and regret, thinking it was too late and would never get better and I had just fucked everything up and it was because I wasn't really fixing anything properly because I didn't really know how or what was really wrong in the first place. Do something about it, taking action makes you feel better, gives you agency, it won't be instant but putting the effort in will get you there, or at least move you forward, in time.

Anyway, hope this helps dude.

Last edited:

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
Garbage. Pathetic. Useless and cowardly. Literally the worst person in the world.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
Garbage. Pathetic. Useless and cowardly. Literally the worst person in the world.
That seems rather harsh in a world with Trump, Nazis, people who are intentionally burning down the rain forests, and concentration camp guards in it.

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
That seems rather harsh in a world with Trump, Nazis, people who are intentionally burning down the rain forests, and concentration camp guards in it.
Perhaps. But at least those people have ambition and motivation.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Acceptably mediocre for the most part, then shittier, but now better.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I hear that if you make it far enough, people stop expecting it of you.
Yeah, it's called death. That, or the kind of independent wealth that so few achieve, it's about as realistic a goal as walking on the lunar surface, i.e.: is it possible? Teeeeechnically. Is it probable? Hard no.