How would you describe yourself back when you were a kid?

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very annoying.

Course, at the time I thought that poking people repeatedly until they snapped was hilarious. My better points were that I tended not to start fights, had the same amount of crazy creativity (which is now being regulated), had a love of reading and music.

Still, the poking was dumb.

Jamieson 90

Mar 29, 2010
A bit of back story is needed to understand my main point, but put simply I wasn't diagnosed with dyslexia, dysgraphia and dyscalculia until I was nearly eleven, and I was constantly put down by my teachers as being stupid/lazy/unintelligent, which wasn't at all helped by my peers since they reinforced this view too. So I was an incredibly shy ten year old boy who had absolutely no self-esteem, in fact I rarely spoke up at all for fear of embarrassing myself; I used to fear having to read aloud in class or being put on the spot when answering a question. In fact due to my dyslexia I fell horribly behind with my work, with my teachers keeping me in at any and all breaks, even lunch after I'd eaten to keep up with the work load, something that I hated since I already dreaded school so much to begin with, so it's not so surprising that I started pulling sickies to just to have a rest.

However I was also very inquisitive and quite intelligent when not in an academic setting, and was also a very kind and nurturing boy since I loved caring for animals and any pets I had; indeed I think I was very good at emphasizing with other peoples feelings especially since I knew how others actions could hurt my own feelings. I was of course innocent and naive like any other ten year old but the adults around me commented that I was rather mature for my age, their words not my own.

I also think I was quite creative and I enjoyed sports, games and expressing myself with solitary activities, like drawing or taking pictures with my camera or perhaps painting too; I rather enjoyed painting Necromunda miniatures from the Games Workshop. So I was a bit of a loner but I was happy in my own little world and I used to day dream a lot and certainly had a very active imagination; I could occupy myself for hours without any toys or anyone else to play with.

After I was diagnosed though things changed; I got support from trained professionals and my teacher's attitudes towards me changed a lot; they realized I wasn't stupid/uncooperative but needed things explaining in a different way, with this help continuing at high school, college and then University, and now I'm happy to say that I've actually managed to get a degree in History and Sociology at Manchester University, can read and write very well and a lot more confident than I used to be.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
I was a prick. To be fair, it wasn't entirely my fault, because I was surrounded by a lot of teachers that blatantly didn't know what the fuck they were talking about but constantly pulled the 'I'm right because I said so' card which caused me to assume that because I was smarter than some older people, I must be smarter than them all.

Luckily, my parents were very intelligent but also logical and fair, so I didn't turn into a complete fuck-up.

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
Shy, quiet, well behaved. Sometimes bad and crazy and stupid. Lonely, weird and socially awkward. Nothing has changed really.

Comocat

May 24, 2012
As a fun exercise answer this thread then call your parents and ask them what you were like as a kid. I remember myself as being quiet, shy, and full of self-doubt but my parents remember me as being a cocky asshole who drove everyone nuts. I think they are way off base, but I was surprised we remembered my childhood so differently.

Powereaver

Apr 25, 2010
Shy but in the end i was very angry and violent at the world... my mum and dad was going through a very messy divorce and stuff so i was out of control as a kid until i was kicked out of home at 14! Luckily now im a lot more in control and dont have those problems anymore!

Happiness Assassin

Oct 11, 2012
I asked an annoying amount of questions. I was also much more athletic than I am now, which is kind of sad now that I think about it.

Captcha: do more sit-ups

Even captcha knows it...

Jake the Snake

Mar 25, 2009
Up until about 5th grade, I was a pretty, happy kid, who made friends with people rather easily. I sang a lot, and was probably more annoying than I thought I was, but I never let it bother me. Then my self-confidence and self-esteem were completely ripped apart by one particularly charismatic dick head, and I was a scared, nerdy, awkward introvert for most of middle school. High School and now college have done a lot to do away with most of that, but the scars are there and I'm still dealing with it. Once I get over initiating interaction, I'm a a pretty likable guy. Social, funny, eclectic in music, hobbies, interests, etc.

JemothSkarii

Thanks!
Nov 9, 2010
Skinny, fit, strong, motivated, happy, imaginative, was always dying till I could hang out with my friends, I even adored my parents.

Then 9th Grade happened and I became an almost exact opposite of who I was.

Yeah...Damn realization ;_;

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
A loud mouth nerd who played with ghostbusters toys, like the protonpacks or whatever. And of course my father removed the noise makers from the proton packs ...sooo I started making the noises with my mouth. They regretted what they did instantly

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
Shy, inquisitive, naive, easily influenced, ignorant, athletic, humorous, bookworm, gamer.

Some of those things remain to this day, others, not so much.

Man, I used to devour books when I was a kid, so much so that my science teacher thought I was a slacker, when in fact I had learned everything about that class months before.

His face when I got the 2nd best score in an exam for that year was priceless :D
Some of that surprises me. Other stuff doesn't. :p

OT: A little bit shy, but also quite standoffish. Quite at odds with the rest of my peers because I had to put up with quite a bit of shit from everyone else around that age.

Xarathox

Feb 12, 2013
Skinny, quiet, nerdy.

Not much has changed in those 23 years. I'm still skinny, don't talk a whole lot unless with those closest to me, and I'm still a huge nerd. But, I now come kung-fu throat punching action, for all those Captain Obvious' out there who need to tell me how fucking skinny I am. I know, I own a goddamn mirror!

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
I was quiet, introverted and liked to build things, read books, listen to music and play video games. Describing it like that, I'd say the only thing that's changed between now and then is my amount of disposable income and the size of my hammer.

thejackyl

Apr 16, 2008
Shy, quiet, gamer, socially awkward.

I went from that to:

Shy, gamer, socially awkward, sarcastic, with a twisted sense of humor. I'm only shy until I get to know someone, and it takes me a LOT less time to open up to new people now, than it has taken me to open up to those who have known me forever. I'm a lot more snarky and sarcastic and a bit cynical sometimes. I also have a very twisted sense of humor, as do a lot of my friends:

Example (and this is a mild one), this was an exchange between me and a friend while gaming:

Him: "Stop beating me!"
Me: "That's what she said."

For some reason this cracked us both up and we agreed that we were horrible people.

I'm still VERY socially awkward because it still takes me a while to trust people even a base amount (Yay, childhood trauma), but once I do I tend to fit in a lot better.

DVS BSTrD said:
]I used to be like that in middle school, waiting for the rest of the class to catch-up. Wasn't very athletic or much of a gamer though, and by GOD I was socially inept.
I think I could fall into that category with everything except History. Even in college the instructor was going on about how everyone should take the entire lab period (3 hours) to finish, double and triple check their exams (programming class). I finished with a perfect score in 15 minutes, needless to say the instructor was shocked after I declined to stay over any longer once I finished it.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Well for one thing, I had a very squeaky voice (thank god for puberty for kicking in) althought it was years later that I heard my own voice via a recorder.
I was also quite energetic and optimistic aswell. Granted I was still shy at times and also well behaved at school.
These days I'm mostly a shagow of my former younger self (unfit and isn't so optimistic when it come to the future but I'm fine with that).

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
When I was a kid, I was hyper and wild, yet still oddly timid in school. I was really bright, even back then, very creative, and adventurous. It was pretty much the best childhood any kid could have.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
I was very quiet and very shy.

Around that time I've been known to walk into a room, sit down, and be forgotten in a matter of minutes because I either didn't talk or make my presence known. I'm still like that to a degree I suppose.

I was also a huge bookworm and I would go through books like crazy. I would check out five books from the library and I would return them in about a week and would be looking for more. If I though the class was boring and the teacher was going through something I already knew I would bring out a book and read it right in the middle of class. I don't read as much as I used to, but I can still go through books if I have the time.

thesilentman

What this
Jun 14, 2012
Daystar Clarion said:
Shy, inquisitive, naive, easily influenced, ignorant, athletic, humorous, bookworm, gamer.
Did you masquerade for my childhood by any chance? Looks like the great (not) Daystar and I have something in common. A lot of somethings.

OT- A crack team consisting of a single ninja dog stole my answer. See quote for details. I will add that many girls liked me back then, as opposed to now. Stupid relationship politics.