How would you have followed on from Red and Blue? [Pokemon]

SammiYin

Mar 15, 2010
Imagine it, you've just made bank on the huge success of two of the best games [in my opinion anyway] ever made, the current developers chose to stick to the formula but with new [I won't get angry by going into...them] pokemon and a different setting.
But what would you have done with it? New plot? New things to collect? Let's hear your ideas.

Just to clarify I'll give you my opinion.
I'd have kept you as the main character, you're the champion and on top of the world, you return to Pallet town and celebrate. Next morning you wake up to find Team Rocket have stolen your winning pokemon, and you need to embark on a quest to get them back.

Just imagine it, having to start from scratch after what you had, you then need to beat 6 Rocket bosses [each of which have one of your pokemon from the previous game, don't ask me how the game knows this it just does].

That would be plot, game play would stay the same, probably more puzzles and dungeons, but I'd also introduce a choice system, where you get to treat your pokemon more harshly, making them stronger but resentful of you [so they'll be stubborn little boys] or treat them nicely and they'll always attack, but be weaker because you've spoiled them.

So what would you guys have done?

[P.s. I'm not complaining about the way the pokemon series have gone, I still love you Game Freak]

Andrew_Mac

Feb 20, 2011
SammiYin said:
[each of which have one of your pokemon from the previous game, don't ask me how the game knows this it just does]
Thats good script writing.

Berserker119

Dec 31, 2009
That's pretty interesting. I'd play that. I wouldn't change it though. I liked what G/S/C did.

ZehMadScientist

Oct 29, 2010
How about a setting where you are the bad guy for once. Starting from scratch and building up your own Team Rockety empire with some plausable motive.

GodsAndFishes

Mar 22, 2009
Basically I'd have gone along the lines of Gold/Silver and have each new game have a new area and the old areas from the previous games.

varulfic

Jul 12, 2008
Pokemón MMORPG.

I've said this for years, and I'm a bit suprised it hasn't happened yet, because everyone can see that pokemon is the PERFECT setting for a mmorpg. The best part of Blue and Red were linking up with your friends to battle. Applied to a massive scale, finding pokemons, training them, going up against reigning champions of the server in a battle for glory and credits.... epic! It's the only game that would make me consider getting a Wii.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
I would have given flareon a damn physical fire attack by now, thats for sure.

but more seriously, I dont know. its hard to pic, cause back then you didnt aim at anyone really besides kids. you figure your next game comes out about 2 years later, you have to keep it basic, so that a new audience can get in and play without feeling that alienation, and so that youre old audience can stay in and find it interesting.

Thats why pokemon games really havent evolved much. I'd have probably just did the same thing. Its a set in stone way to make money, cause when Game Freak put out other pokemon games not like the main R/B/Y/G/S/C/R/S/E/FR/LG/D/P/Pt/HG/SS they havent done as well.

Tiswas

Jun 9, 2010
I'd have made a new game with a similar yet new plot and some new pokemon to make it worth buying a new game.

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
Would have done exactly what they did. There is nothing wrong with any of the Pokémon games at all. The only thing wrong with the franchise are the nostalgic fans who can't see that their arguments against the new Pokémon don't work.

150 of the same things over five generations of games? Mhm. Try and tell me you wouldn't get bored with that. Especially seeing that Gen 1 had some of the stupidest designs of all.

LikeDustInTheWind

Mar 29, 2010
Anyone remember the rumor that you would supposedly start off as a gym leader in one of the games? I would basically go from that, and have Team Rocket come in and ruin it all, so you have to start from scratch and get Poke-revenge on them. Also new area, new Pokemon, etc.

SammiYin

Mar 15, 2010
Gxas said:
Would have done exactly what they did. There is nothing wrong with any of the Pokémon games at all. The only thing wrong with the franchise are the nostalgic fans who can't see that their arguments against the new Pokémon don't work.

150 of the same things over five generations of games? Mhm. Try and tell me you wouldn't get bored with that. Especially seeing that Gen 1 had some of the stupidest designs of all.
I don't buy this, sure the originals had some dodgy ones [Mr Mime and Drowzee etc.] and don't get me wrong, I like a majority of the second gen, but the third killed it for me. All they did was ripoff older pokemon because they couldn't come up with anything original, combine that with transformer looking legendarys [which now outnumber the rest of the pokemon] and you've got a dying series, maybe not in the profit area but definitely in the soul that R/B/Y/G/S/C all had.

Sigh...look what you unleashed.

Anyway, I love the idea of a MMORPG and I would be all over this, instead of guilds you could have gyms, where you base a team around a type or style of play, you could also join the Rockets if you want [or these could be npcs that would try and steal your pokemon, adds an element of risk to leaving towns etc.]
Somebody make this now!!

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
SammiYin said:
I don't buy this, sure the originals had some dodgy ones [Mr Mime and Drowzee etc.] and don't get me wrong, I like a majority of the second gen, but the third killed it for me. All they did was ripoff older pokemon because they couldn't come up with anything original, combine that with transformer looking legendarys [which now outnumber the rest of the pokemon] and you've got a dying series, maybe not in the profit area but definitely in the soul that R/B/Y/G/S/C all had.
Again, I say that you're just too blinded by nostalgia to realize that the soul of the games is still there. Its funny, really, people like you complain all the time about how they hate all the new pokémon, yet you continue to buy the new gen games.

Believe what you want, but my opinion is that gen 1 and 2 had the worst designs overall (except the legendaries, I do agree that there are way too many that are looking more and more retarded)

Keep complaining about the designs though, it certainly has gotten you somewhere. The only was you'll be able to make a point is to stop buying the new gens of games. Funny thing is, though, that if you do that, you kill the franchise. Your choice, take off those rose-tinted goggles, or kill the greatest franchise in the history of gaming.

Tiswas

Jun 9, 2010
SammiYin said:
Gxas said:

Sigh...look what you unleashed.
I dunno. I think the 3rd gen had some pretty awesome ones. Granted some were similar (Dark Dogs, Small birds etc) but some were pretty damn awesome (Spinda, Electrike, Kecleon, Tropius, Trapinch, Numel, Torkoal, Duskull, Chimecho, Lotad lines were cool) aswell as making some other lines such as Steel, Dark, Ghost and Bug pretty much useable aside from one pokemon.

Also wasn't it this point when stuff like IVs, EVs etc started becoming more important? Splitting Physical and Special. Double Battles, Contests and Hidden rooms too.

KarmaTheAlligator

Mar 2, 2011
I don't mind what they did but I think I would have done something like Gold/Silver, where you get to see more than one region (in fact, by now, they probably can include all of them in one game, including making nearly all pokemon catchable in whatever region they're from). I'm talking of course about the games after G/S since they all introduced a new region.

Dash85

Mar 21, 2010
The one major change I would make would be the battles. I would make them like Smash Bros. Using a GC controller, set your 4 special moves to the C-stick, make A and B basic attacks like tackle or scratch, L/R as block and so on. Also have an option to do it the more RPG way, for those want it that way. I always wanted that. I like Pokemon, but I can't play it since Red because of the battle system. I overplayed it, now it drives me crazy.
I never understood how they could forget how to scratch or tackle.

Tiswas

Jun 9, 2010
I think I'm the only one who actually feels that G/S had the poorest new pokemon. There were 100 of them but aside from the starters and Tyranitar...how many were actually any good? Most of the ones that were great were the ones evolved from earlier pokes (Crobat, Blissey, Eeveelutions) with a few others thrown in (Skarmory, Lanturn)

Aside from these the rest were pointless pre-evos and the likes of Ariados, Ledian, Delibird, Furret, Magcargo, Corsola etc. Some of them were so meh they required upgrading again later (Piloswine, Yanma, Gligar, Togekiss)

MEEBO17

Mar 3, 2010
It would of been pretty close to G/S/C, but instead of adding in Kanto as a playable region, I'd have a mode where you have to defend your title as champion of the region. Every hour, you would be called in to fight a new challenger. If the day comes that you lose, you'll be stripped of your title, have all your pokemon set back at level 10, and have to fight your way back to the top. It sounds annoying, but I think it would be fun.

SammiYin

Mar 15, 2010
Gxas said:
SammiYin said:
Again, I say that you're just too blinded by nostalgia to realize that the soul of the games is still there. Its funny, really, people like you complain all the time about how they hate all the new pokémon, yet you continue to buy the new gen games.

Believe what you want, but my opinion is that gen 1 and 2 had the worst designs overall (except the legendaries, I do agree that there are way too many that are looking more and more retarded)

Keep complaining about the designs though, it certainly has gotten you somewhere. The only was you'll be able to make a point is to stop buying the new gens of games. Funny thing is, though, that if you do that, you kill the franchise. Your choice, take off those rose-tinted goggles, or kill the greatest franchise in the history of gaming.
Maybe it is nostalgia I don't know, and I'm not opposed to them adding new pokemon, all I ask is that they are new and actually interesting. The ones from sapphire [I can't name any from diamond onwards, as I didn't play them], but some of the third gens were so ridiculous. Nosepass, really? And the exploud line and makuhita. Those were some of the ones that weren't just older ones with a reskin and new name.
To highlight this, I just noticed there is a new [possibly 4th gen?]fish pokemon that is useless, but at a certain level [Let's take a blind guess at 20] it evolves into an uber dragon type. That sounds familiar...
But I'm biting down pride and giving Black and White a chance, but this is getting way of topic and I will defend this corner rabidly.

Anyways, what about a game based on the first movie? You get invited to an island only to find it's run by a crazed pokemon who's cloned his own army and you gotta stop him by searching the island etc. Could end up a bit too grim for a pokemon game though.

@Dash, I like the idea of proper pokemon fights, but it would allow flying pokemon to be really effective though, and what would a fish do?

Verp

Jul 1, 2009
Yeah... I lost interest after GSC. I get a lot of "Nostalgiagoggles, lol!" comments when I talk about Pokémon, but that leaves me scratching my head because I never liked Pokémon that much in the first place. Pokémon Red and Blue were interesting games and GSC generation came up with a nice amount of technical improvements, but I didn't opt out of the following games because I'd like the first two generations such a huge bunch. I opted out because obviously the series wasn't going to make an effort to cater to my tastes -- I lost interest.

What I wish Pokémon would've done right after RBY was to make the mons more than numbers. New Pokémon and Pokémon types would've been welcome, sure, but I would rather that most of the effort had gone not to the amount of mons, but making Pokémon more like individuals that you can actually interact with. Mass breeding for better numeric values and grinding levels... Yeah, I don't consider that interesting and though it's been polished a lot, I don't find the battle system exciting enough to bother with it more than the single player mode entails. I would've preferred if the pokémon chosen by the player would have had more plot relevance and that you could have actually seen them do things with people or in the wild and stuff, not just battles.

Also, I guess I should comment on the designs of the new pokémon. One thing that I like the old mons is that they're sort of crude, sort of clumsy, and, for the most part, pretty basic stuff. The new ones seem to mostly fall roughly into two categories: sterile, simplistic mons and ultra cluttered clusterfucks. The problem I see with this is that the creatures look a lot less, well, organic. Many of the designs make me think that the artist is just trying way too hard. Many of the legendaries appear to be what a fanwank interpretation of "super ultra mega cool destroyer pokémon" would look like.