How would you hold up in a fight?

Eddy-16

Jan 3, 2011
Last fight I had went like this. I kicked him in the balls followed by a headbutt to the face and I broke his nose. Then I started choking him from behind he was going unconscious when his friend got me off him by stamping on my face.

To answer your question. Yes.

Mandalore_15

Aug 12, 2009
I've been taking muay thai for quite a few years now. I haven't had a real fight since I started it though. When I was younger, I grew up in a pretty rough area so I got in quite a few fights and usually came out pretty well. I guess I can probably take pretty good care of myself now, but to be honest I don't have any real desire to find out. It's always better to avoid the fight.

shasqueebo

Apr 16, 2011
People tend to underestimate me due to my size, but I can actually hold my own very well in a fight against people my own size, usually ending it pretty quickly. As for people bigger than me, I can easily beat people with over a 30 pound weight advantage in grappling matches and I've been hit by people around that size too without any serious damage or even being dazed(In a mosh pit this guy who was probably around 180ish grabbed my shoulder, turned me around and uppercutted me 3 times in the face, but he got thrown out of the venue before I could retaliate) so I think I could probably fare pretty well against them.

SamuelT

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2009
Country
Nederland
I 'started' a fight about a year ago. There was this guy that was known for being pretty rough with his girlfriends. One day he started something with a good friend of mine, and I was pretty iffy on it from the beginning. I let her be though, far be it from me to tell her what to do with her life. I was wrong, I thought, because they seemed to get along fine. But months later I heard about them breaking up, and it was not with sweet farewells. He had hit her, pretty badly as well.

Now I'm no superhero, hell the most I had was one year of Judo and a few years streetdancing, but when the guy started harassing her I kinda stepped in, on her urging. I told him to back the fuck off. He..well, 'pushed' against my shoulder, normally a pretty harmless gesture. But I just threw myself at him, tackling him and landing on top of him. Now the guy was about my height and size, though a little bit older, and he got me a few times as well, but I held my own during that fight. I did get a few bruises in the face, but I held him off mostly through luck and honourless hitting, below the belt and in the kidneys and stuff. He did back off though, so it was worth it. I guess I could've controlled myself better, but really the guy had it coming.

Oly J

Nov 9, 2009
well like anything it depends heavily on my opponent and the context, am I fighting in a structured competition or on the street? in either case, I pride myself on the fact that I can take a lot of punishment, I am disabled but I have been in a few fights, I can't straighten my legs enough to stand due to muscle problems so in fights (and life in general) I move about on my knees and use primarily my hands, I know the proper form for punching and my years of pushing myself around in a wheelchair (sometimes quite long distance) and my refusal to use an electric one has left me with a decent amount of upper-body strength, my normal technique is that if I can get one good hit in on each of their knees I can hopefully bring them down to my level, once I do that it's normally a simple matter of outlasting them, I am fortunately blessed with good stamina reserves despite my somewhat large frame and am also incredibly competitive and stubborn, so in a fight you'd pretty much have to knock me out to win...or kill of course, so yeah I believe I would hold up pretty well

GudangGaram

Jul 16, 2010
I´ve walked away from most fights I´ve gotton into, most because I was attacked. Not because it´s the grown up thing to do perse, but because usually no good can come out of it. They/he hits me, I hit them back, then I have to watch my back for a few weeks due to promised retaliation ending with my certain demise (which never comes). If I hit someone too hard because I know how to defend myself, they might take it out on some other bloke because of their anger.

Having practiced several martial arts for eight years I have to say I was surprised to be able to stand my ground against fifteen guys and walk away without a hostpital check in. It was nothing too bad, though I was an idiot for getting involved (They were throwing stuff at people, grabbing personal belongings and pushing people off their bikes. I actually saw people running away in tears so I stopped to comment, and then they attacked me because I hade commented on their antisocial behaviour and that it frightened people. It was only when they started surrounding me that I started counting and this 'oh crap' factor started growing. I received some blows most of which I was able to parry, then I said 'well, Ill be off now', and was able to cycle away. I'm not saying I could have beaten them all, I couldnt have. No way. But I managed to get away in one piece, which is good enough for me.

Tin Man said:
Martial arts is only really any good when fighting other martial artists.

Real street fights are either pushy slap fests, or brutal, fast and violent affairs that last seconds. Fancy kicks and jumping and silly spinning punches and all that shit, worthless.

Weight advantage matters a lot, but I can tell you from experience that even the biggest man has 2 weaknesses. The obvious is one. A hard punch to the throat is another.

In answer to the title question - I'd hold up in a fight. Both seconds of it.
Yeah, weight matters. I once sparred a guy twice (!) my weight and I had a really hard time wearing him down. I was better trained, faster and in better shape than he was, but damn. The only thing that worked on him was a front kick to the solar plexus (his face was too high, and throat, joints and groin were off limits for competition)

Having trained in mostly practical martial arts (like krav maga) and having ´fought´ both experienced and inexperienced fighters I have to say that people that show a distict type of martial arts training are more predictable but also more dangerous (they know what they are doing). I'm very glad I was able to dodge a few kicks to the head for example.

I don't like fighting, never did, probably never will. If I don't have to, I won't. I've actually only hit someone once in my life (outside of training). Usually I just evade, dodge, block and throw them on the ground, then repeat. This doesnt work too well with more than three though, the minute you throw the fourth on the floor, the first one is already up and trying to punch you.

Personally I'd only get myself into a fight if someone I knew, and probably am close to, was hurt beyond proprotions, I would step up. I used to help people out or try to break up fights on the streets (and thus attract attention and punches), but not no more. It isnt really my problem until I make it mine. Sounds kind of stupid now that I think about it (I have the training to stop people from getting hurt any further) but in my experience, it doesnt work out very well even if I try to help. One time I was braking up a fight of one versus four, and ended up with the one guy also being mad at me. What gives? Having said that, I still interfere if I see someone on the ground getting pounded while being helpless to defend him or herself, or if the odds are unfair (5 to 1)

Sentox6

Jun 30, 2008
loc978 said:
So basically, as I see it... anyone entering into a physical confrontation for reasons other than training or sport without the will to take their opponent's life is a posturing fool who should count themselves lucky if they survive the encounter.
Can't agree with this enough. Most people's idea of a fight is basically a fake fight. Genuine fights don't tend to last very long, and with the number of particularly vulnerable points on the human body, neither should they.

A little mantra that I recite to myself: "always assume your opponent is both a better fighter and better armed than you". It tends to stop you getting into silly situation.

Tin Man said:
A hard punch to the throat is another.
Very true. The only downside is that a solid punch to the throat (especially the side) can certainly kill, and while I'm a believer in defending yourself by any means necessary, the police may not be.

Simmo8591

May 20, 2009
While I'm a relatively peasful person, I have a very solid set of rules for proper fights, . Note this may seema little sadistic but this isnt a scrap with friends this is for fending off a mugging or the like.

Elbows and knees not fists, more power, quicker and less damage to you - ive seen many people connect with someones jaw in a straight punch, broken knuckles hurt a lot. Always fight dirty and quickly. Dont throw one blow and think that will end it, this isnt a film and you arent going to wipe out a room of henchmen, if you get a hit and stagger him press the advantage and bring him to the floor.

Stamp on fingers, break noses, knee groins, hell bite him if you have to - better to fight dirty today if it means you have a good chance of being here tomorrow. Then get the hell out of there, you may have just destroyed him but you dont want his 2 mates one of which has a bottle to exact revenge on you.

IF THEY HAVE ANY WEAPON GIVE UP YOUR THINGS - your phone is woth £100 and i bet you have less than £20 in your wallet. cards can be cancelled but a knife to your stomach will more than likely cripple or kill you

only ever properly used it once when someone tried to mug me on my way home from a night out, it wasnt pretty, I came away with a lot of bruises but I manged to elbow his nose to break it then immediatly stamp his knee so that he fell, the whole thing took less than 30 seconds. I ran like hell and called the police when i got home, I was lucky and It wasnt cool or manly, I was terrified and real fights are like that. pinning and wrestling friends is fun, fighting for what could be your life never is

Ampersand

May 1, 2010
I'd recommend you look into something beyond tae kwon do. Even at it's highest levels it only really covers the basics of martial arts and doesn't really prepare you for real conflict (I can't speak for your dojo obviously but speaking from my experience of schools of taekwondo i've actually looked at). I'd suggest studying boxing or mma striking for the basics and then looking into something like Aikido(my first love;)) for the more advanced stuff, jujitsu is also quite useful, the great thing about those two is if you use them right you'll probably never need to fight anyone.

zHellas

Quite Not Right
Feb 7, 2010
Aby_Z said:
When all else fails, there's a certain strategy that always works:

Step 1: Kick in groin
Step 2: Run away
Yeah, if the guy I'm fighting is better than me physically, I'd fight dirty and use every trick I could.

If he's weaker than me, I'd might just kick him in the face or groin to end it quickly.

And 'cause I suck at fighting face-to-face, I'm gonna be taking Krav Maga (mainly because in a confrontation I want to end the fight quickly. I like to avoid conflict at all, if possible) and Tai Chi (mostly 'cause from Troper Tales, it sounds awesome).

Ampersand

May 1, 2010
loc978 said:
...as a person trained through Tier 2 US Army Combatives, a year of Krav Maga, a few months of fencing, about a month of kenjutsu and a whole hell of a lot of firearms training/practice/experience... yeah.
I try to avoid physical confrontation, though. As I see it physical combat always has the possibility of ending lethally for someone, and at its core, killing is its primary objective. Training and sport fighting are a different ballgame, of course, but in self-defense or the removal of a threat... the first person with the will, knowledge and opportunity to end the other's life tends to win, regardless of size (though size often creates opportunities all on its own). So basically, as I see it... anyone entering into a physical confrontation for reasons other than training or sport without the will to take their opponent's life is a posturing fool who should count themselves lucky if they survive the encounter.
I'm sorry but I could disagree more, the only times I've ever found myself in real danger when fighting is when I've tried to hurt my opponent. However if I really try to protect my opponent I can do it in relative safety.

GudangGaram

Jul 16, 2010
Tin Man said:
But you're right, fighting is NOT something that should be sought after. Not these days. People are too liable to pull out a knife or a gun, and then what? Things always escalate, especially when hurt prides are a factor...
Yeah a colleague/semi friend I worked with for six years was clubbed, stabbed and shot (I think in that order) over some argument his brother was in the night before. Also troubling was the fact that he was a boxing champion (I think national) but didnt stand a chance. Not much you can do against six armed guys. He survived (which was a miracle), though his brother suffered brain damage (from a bullet) and is paralyzed.

Some scary shit, and he was never the same again.

Ampersand said:
I'd recommend you look into something beyond tae kwon do. Even at it's highest levels it only really covers the basics of martial arts and doesn't really prepare you for real conflict (I can't speak for your dojo obviously but speaking from my experience of schools of taekwondo i've actually looked at). I'd suggest studying boxing or mma striking for the basics and then looking into something like Aikido(my first love;)) for the more advanced stuff, jujitsu is also quite useful, the great thing about those two is if you use them right you'll probably never need to fight anyone.
This is probably the best advise Ive read so far. I've tried Aikido but I found it to be a bit one sided to be the only thing to do, but it's still build into my system.

subtlefuge

Lord Cromulent
May 21, 2010
I honestly don't know what martial arts or self defense disciplines work or don't, but tackling seems to always have a nice shock factor to it.

I won't say I've fought the hardest people ever in the world, but I've fared well so far.

Hop-along Nussbaum

Mar 18, 2011
In "sports fighting", there are rules.

In real life, there is no such thing as a fair fight. You do whatever you have to, to win. It's that simple. 99% of people who say, "I studied Tae Kwon Phuck" are full of shit. In a real fight, you do what you have to to survive. It's that simple.

I don't advocate violence. But if I have to hit someone in the head with a brick to keep them from harming me, or mine, I will. I won't enjoy it, and I won't dance around like these assholes on the internet. But I will do whatever I have to, not to "win", but to survive.

Incidentally, I also don't generally hang out in atmospheres where the threat of violence exists. That's just setting yourself up for failure. Don't put yourself in that position, and you won't have to worry about it.

Toaster Hunter

Jun 10, 2009
I would probably last a while. I have a 2nd degree black belt in Hapkido and weight lift regularly. I may lose, but it will be fun to watch.

Kevlar Eater

Sep 27, 2009
Someone my size? They might have either taken up a martial art or is more muscular than I am. Or both. In any case, them hitting my soft body is itself an incentive to hit harder. I'm dead either way.

subtlefuge

Lord Cromulent
May 21, 2010
GudangGaram said:
Tin Man said:
But you're right, fighting is NOT something that should be sought after. Not these days. People are too liable to pull out a knife or a gun, and then what? Things always escalate, especially when hurt prides are a factor...
Yeah a colleague/semi friend I worked with for six years was clubbed, stabbed and shot (I think in that order) over some argument his brother was in the night before. Also troubling was the fact that he was a boxing champion (I think national) but didnt stand a chance. Not much you can do against six armed guys. He survived (which was a miracle), though his brother suffered brain damage (from a bullet) and is paralyzed.

Some scary shit, and he was never the same again.
Wow.

Yeah, one of my friends back from high school got into a fight, and was held down by a few guys then kicked to death with a steel-toe boot.

So, I've been avoiding conflicts ever since.