How would you hold up in a fight?

Grabbin Keelz

Jun 3, 2009
You guys are awesome with hypothetical questions, so here's some more.

First. I've taken a year of Tae-Kwon-Doe lessons, I often practice sparring in my room, and I have a punching back I sometimes use. And yet, I still don't think I'd hold up well in a fight, especially against anyone slightly bigger than me. Sure we can train for combat, but when shit really does go down, anxiety tends to kick in and we don't do what we expect to. Hell my first fight was in 7th grade, nobody got hurt but the anxiety caused me to cry afterwards. So first question: how well (or at least how well do you think) could you take on somebody that's roughly your size? Tell us a story if you feel like it.

Second. I have been in a few situations where I probably would have gotten into a fight, but I didn't. You'd be amazed how well you can end a heated situation just by walking away, but maybe there are some circumstances to where you HAVE to kick his/her ass. So the second question is: aside from self defense, what would be enough to make you get into a fight?
Personally, if I had a girlfriend (or even a close ladyfriend nearby) and someone intentionally smacked her, I'd go Forrest Gump on their ass.

Dimitriov

The end is nigh.
May 24, 2010
As someone who has taken Tae Kwon Do I would add that most of it is really more applicable as a competitive sport than as an actual self defense.

That being said I personally hold up very well in a fight.

delet

Nov 2, 2008
When all else fails, there's a certain strategy that always works:

Step 1: Kick in groin
Step 2: Run away

Kevonovitch

Apr 15, 2009
TKD does hold up well, if you know how to apply it ;)

aswell as, been in quite a few, in most cases, i hope up quite well, and since i'm looking at a military career, probably a little better than i did b4 soon enough :p

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Against a midget, I would do rather well

Against others... well I can run really fast when need be, so I'm covered.

Ian Thompson

Apr 21, 2011
I actually think I'd do pretty well in a fight. I've taken Krav Maga for two years, that and I'm a naturally inventive fighter...Yeah. I think I'd do well.
Fortunately, it takes a hell of a lot to piss me off. I've been in one fight in the last two years, and I didn't take a hit. He tried to punch me? Bad move. One step to the side, pull on arm and at the same time deliver right elbow to face, yank down to the ground.

Grabbin Keelz

Jun 3, 2009
Aby_Z said:

Ha, classic. I'm guessing your a girl then. If that's the case I have some good advice for you. Men (as in me and every guy I know) has a natural fear of tasers. I'd always get nervous just seeing my friend hold one in front of me.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
Aby_Z said:

Pretty much this, but add "screaming and crying" after step 2.

My little sister used to teach self-defense classes and anti-rape classes. She told me I should take one, but I'm lazy and have video games to play.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Aby_Z said:

Ninja'd.

I'm not that tough and I hate that. I'd like to be able to hold my own but at present fleeing is my best alternative. I'm good with words though and being a nice guy usually prevents the situation. Other times legging it is the best alternative to sticking around.

Grabbin Keelz said:
Ha, classic. I'm guessing your a girl then.
He's not a girl.

StellarViking

Apr 10, 2011
I used to get beat on and wedgied and stuff at my middle school, then I moved away. I moved to a rougher neighborhood and I learned to fight better and improved my physical condition. After that I never really had the same problem. Right now, though, I haven't gotten in any fights in quite some time, so I'm not sure how I would hold up. I like to think I'd do well, but at the same time I have a habit of rushing into things and not thinking.

I also took Tae Kwon Do, and I didn't really find much of a practical use for it in self-defense, as a lot of times some kid would come swinging in a decidedly non-TKD manner.

WorldCritic

Apr 13, 2009
I would be complete meh in a fight. I took a few years of Kenpo and was just below a brown belt, but it's been a while since I've practiced it.

Mavinchious Maximus

Apr 13, 2011
Aby_Z said:

What if he is wearing A cup?

i think i would do fairly well because i tend to use a mix of karate and unconventional fighting, you would not believe how handy A shoe is in A fight. No seriously, I once had to beat the crap out of A guy with his own shoe.

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
Tae Kwon Do? The Dane Cook of martial arts!?

(Sorry but I just had to throw in an Archer reference)

I don't know how I would hold up in a fight. I haven't been in one since elementary school so probably not that great.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Only a year? Yeah, you're probably right about the anxiety. The way you'd counteract that is either getting into enough fights that experience guides you (probably highly impractical), or keep training until the martial art becomes genuinely instinctual (kind of the point of martial arts training). Muscle memory is your end goal, and what you absolutely need if you don't want to rely on luck or weaponry...though as far as I know, any competent martial artist will advise you to use a weapon, even an improvised one, if one is available.

As for my own prospects...I probably wouldn't do well. I have a little bit of training, and could probably improvise something based on how well I did and didn't do in judo, but I don't trust my chances of pulling anything off. I'd have to fight through almost entirely mentally, which means my reflexes would be rather off, especially if I'm going against someone who knows what they're doing. And the fact that I'm pretty out-of-shape doesn't help...though my being fairly large might.

And what would make me fight? Either desperation, or protecting someone else. I can't think of another situation.

Scabadus

Wrote Some Words
Jul 16, 2009
I hold up fairly well while actually in a fight, but go to pieces afterwards. It's like my body saves up all the adrenalin that should be helping me punch people so I can talk them down, then floods me with it after they've gone just for laughs. My body is a real bastard sometimes.

There are very few situations that make me see red and flip out (mostly due to concious effort), but I'd make an exception for defending a friend or family member, female or not.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Not well I'd imagine. I used to practice Karate years ago, but I haven't practiced it in like 15 years or more.

Ozzythecat

Jul 12, 2010
With only a year in TKD I would be a little nervous as well. I've sparred with some people who practice TKD and it's not a bad style. I'd recommend sparring with people who don't use TKD and learning how to deal with non-TKD methods that way you're prepared for someone who doesn't use a martial art or any actual fighting art.

As far I'm concerned I've practiced Judo since I was 6, Kendo since I was 10(though that really doesn't help in many fights X_X), and Muay Thai since I was 13 and I've done pretty well in all the tournaments and actual fights I've been in. I've also practiced Krav Maga and I regularly go to a boxing gym. Though I don't go looking for fights, and I prefer not to fight. I do love sparring though.

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
I've only been in one actual fight against my dad. Considering we both went to the same martial arts sensei, him studying much longer, I lost. Mostly because after I threw the first punch I didn't want to throw another.