How would you hold up in a fight?

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
I've never been in a fight, unfortunately. However, I'd like to think I'd do quite well if I could only overcome my inability to deliberately hurt someone. To quote Tim Minchin, I'm a victim of my upper-middle class upbringing.

Apollo45

Jan 30, 2011
Against someone roughly my size and strength, I typically hold up really well. Mainly because I spent a lot of my time fighting guys bigger than me, either in sheer girth or in strength, and I was always able to hold my own. Plus I learned how to take a beating damn well early on, so that helped out a lot, especially against guys bigger than me, I can hit hard, harder than most people expect, so often it only takes a couple punches against someone who's not quite expecting it and they're down. I've got a bunch of buddies who went in to the military after high school and I still can hold my own, if not beat, them in straight fights.

Bit of a story on that note, I was walking across the intramural fields on campus in the middle of the night and a few guys tried to 'sneak' up on me. I can only guess they were trying to mug me or some such (it had happened to a friend before then, so that's what I assumed). I just kept walking, occasionally checking over my shoulder, and the second they started running (they started shouting at me simultaneously, which is how I knew they weren't going to be asking for directions) I took off, but not too fast. One of them outpaced the two others a bit, and I ended up stopping faster than he expected. He ran in to me (tried to throw a punch as he did), I grabbed him and threw him to the ground pretty easily. From there it was fairly simple to just put my shoe on his face and hold it there while telling the other two to back off or I'd break his nose (and likely his jaw) in. That solved the problem pretty quick - they just backed off, I stepped on the guy's stomach (just walking over him, not with too much real force) and walked away. Apparently they weren't ready for someone to actually fight back.

As for the second question, it depends. I won't start a fight unless its with a friend, but there are occasions I'll force people into an ultimatum. For example, a guy was hitting on my girlfriend a year or so ago, and I ended up telling him (after a couple hints, and not-hints, that he should stop) that he needed to either back off or hit me. He ended up backing off, sadly enough... I was really looking forward to kicking his ass. Ever encountered one of those guys who you just feel would be a lot less annoying/douchey/cocky if they had gotten their butts kicked once or twice as a kid? He's one of them.

Anyway, I'll get in to a fight over anything halfway serious, but I'm careful about who I'm fighting with more than the reason. Someone I know I can trust is a lot easier to fight with because we'll just shake hands afterwards and go back to being buddies. Someone I'm not sure I can trust I won't throw the first punch, but I will make them do it if it's serious enough.

Lawllerskater

Jan 29, 2010
I've done Sanshou kickboxing for over 8 years, and Brazilian Jujitsu for about 5. Black belts in the junior division in both.

I would hold my own.

PhunkyPhazon

Dec 23, 2009
Let's see, I'm out of shape and I haven't been in an actual fistfight since I was eight years old. However, I have played a lot of Assassin's Creed. Obviously I'll be fine.

OH!!! I'm also wearing a black belt. And unlike you sorry saps that had to train for your belts, I got this thing for $30 at a department store. That's how good I am, people. I got to just skip the training and get right to the belt.

Mr. Gency

Jan 26, 2010
Despite the fact that I've proven to be able to not panic when someone shows me they want to hurt me, I wouldn't fair well against someone who knows what they're doing. But then again, I have enough sense not to fight someone who knows what they're doing.

evilstonermonkey

Oct 26, 2009
I've been in a few fights so I know I can take a beating, and over the course of my life I have had a little training in zen do kai, tae kwon do, muay thai, boxing and a little brazilian jiu jitsu. Against someone who really knew what they were doing I would get creamed, but I could hold my own and probably win against an average joe.
As a general rule though, I would try to avoid a fight. I'm pretty much a pacifist.

Ravenbom

Oct 24, 2008
When we say "fight" we often assume that this is a one on one thing. Or that it's "fair".

I took Tae Kwon Do for about 4 and a half years and it's a sport with rules. There's no rules in a fight. Also, I wear skinny hipster jeans so kicking (and most of what I've learned) is out.

In the street I'm not in comfortable clothes that are easy to move in, barefoot on a nice non-slick floor that's completely flat.

I'm a wuss, I don't really like getting hit. I don't particularly like hitting people either, but the few fights I've been in, nothing was fair about it.
I don't think there is such a thing as a fair fight. I stood up for a kid who was getting picked on in high school so I got my ass kicked by 5 guys several times in high school.

Frankly, I was just so scared that I was frozen. I barely felt the punches and knew there was no way I could take on 5 dudes. Plus the little gangbanger wannabe of the bunch was known to carry a knife to school and it wasn't worth getting shanked.

I was so scared that I just started laughing. They eventually just thought I was crazy because I would take it and laugh in their faces.
What they didn't know was that I was just scared out of my mind.

The only one on one fight I got into, the other guy was swinging a broom handle at me. I took some hits, got in close and punched him in the face and started laughing again. This time though, he started laughing too and we became best friends after that.

I really tried to be nice to everybody, but I was unpopular so I made an easy target to get picked on, I guess.

Point is: life's not fair so why the hell would anyone think fights would be? Sport fighting is the closest thing to fair fights that exist in this world.

Mr. Mortiss

May 24, 2010
I tended to stand up to my bullies when I was a kid, so I've been in a few scrapes myself, but they tended to end in draws. The ones that I ended up winning weren't until I got older, and they tended to end up with me pretty bloodied and the other guy would turn out to have a glass jaw and go down after one punch. These days no one really messes with me since I've gotten fairly big and I always have a knife on hand.

Lunar Shadow

Dec 9, 2008
Despite being a pacifist, I will fight if necessary. I am a full beleiver in the JKD philosphy of fighting that you are to do anything to win. I don't fight fair, I eyegouge, tear ears, grab and crush testicles, throat punch, and use whatever happens to be around me. Years of having it drilled into me to end a fight as soon as possible with as little injury rendered onto myself has made it so that if I have to fight I will kill/maim. I will fight as ferociously as possible into instill the fear into my enemy, to serve as a warning not to back me into a corner despite my abhorrence of violence. I just happen to be a cold beserker.

Nanaki316

Oct 23, 2009
Well I spent my teen years with a couple of abusive boyfriends. I spent those years scrapping with guys. When news got back to school, not even the boys would pick on me and girls would certainly know not to cross me. Not that I would have beaten anyone up mind. I hold up well because I've been on the recieving end a lot. I suppose that's the only good thing that came from having a bloke knock me about, I learnt to stand up for myself.

Epic Fail 1977

Dec 14, 2010
There's an old saying I like.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters; it's the size of the fight in the dog.

Spill a man's beer and maybe insult his girlfriend and you might get him to fight you.
You could also get him to fight you by attacking his daughter right in front of him, but then you'd be fighting a completely different man.

Size and training both matter, but I think what makes the biggest difference is the importance that each fighter attaches to winning.

Oh, and to answer the title question: I never get into fights, though I would if there were a good enough reason. How would I fare? I trained in karate for years when I was younger. I took it very seriously. I'm nowhere near as fit or flexible now as I was then, but I think the training would still help a bit. I sure hope so, cos I'm a skinny rake of a man with not a lot of strength.

alandavidson

Jun 21, 2010
Well, if you take what I've done in previous self-defense scenarios... I'll be fine.

Edit:

It seems like people are posting their fight stories here, so I'll join in the fun.

A guy tried to light me on fire. I beat the crap out of him with a broom handle.

Another guy (not in the same fight) hit me in the back with a baseball bat. Beat him up too.

Someone tried to crush my head with a door. I picked him up over my head and threw him. (We're actually friends now)

A guy thought it would be a good idea to try and hold me up with an airsoft gun. (We're not friends)

Once again, I'll be fine.

AWC Viper

Jun 12, 2008
I've been in a few fights and come out on top, not via usual means. I tend to get dirty when needed. I often go for the ears, kidneys and throat. I've often gotten a few on the ground, where all rules are out. being fast is useless against someone who can drop you in one hit. it requires a balance. all these fighting styles are all well and good but nothing beats pure strength.

I've held up well in fights in the past few years since i left school (I get into a lot of fights.)

fanklok

Legendary Table User
Jul 17, 2009
Supposedly I'm really tough and can hit really hard. We used to have a fight night with boxing gloves whenever I got a good hit in I always thought it was more like a light tap since that's what it felt like, almost knocked someone out with one of those light taps.

More then likely I'll get really really mad though, and when I get mad it's game over. I have a few scars on my hands from punching flat smooth concrete surfaces so hard that it splits the skin and I always hold back when I do that because broken knuckles impair vidya playin.