How would you hold up in a fight?

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Even though I've been doing Muay Thai/kenjutsu as long as I've been an adult, I'm honestly not sure. Granted, me and a couple of fellow boxers beat up a dumb gang of chavs for picking a fight, but I don't really count it. I suppose fighting an average guy (or girl, not that I would or anything) my size or smaller, I'd be fine, but my problem is that I'm a bit too used to fighting people whose fighting style I know. And I don't go to competitions much at all (not enough time/too lazy!).

So, I'll stick with:

"B-but... I can't fathom the idea of hitting someone I don't know!! I CAN'T DO IT!!"
*sob*

(cookie if you get the reference)

theevilsanta

Jun 18, 2010
I've been in at least twenty "bar fights" of some sort. In college my friends were pricks, I never started the fights. I've never trained for a particular martial art, though I did learn a bit about myself.

I'm an excellent grappler. You know the guy you know that is just big? He has big hands and big feet and a big head and always goes for (and dominates with) the big weapon in Halo LAN parties? And he was all-state in wrestling? I (of a smaller size) contended with him in friendly "fights". He was convinced I was lying about not being a wrestler.

But what about the bar fights? I can take a good face blow, I've learned, sadly. But after you've hit me/I've slapped it away we're in grappling distance and I've never lost one-on-one. Even guys bigger and stronger than me get dominated by a good knee to the sternum or tight arm around the throat. Of course they're drunk. Though I should add even 2 on 1 with pool cues I've subdued the fighters. If you don't hit my vital areas i can shake off pain easily.

Against a sober, martial arts trainee I'm just mediocre. I beat a friend of mine in grappling, yet he displayed a number of times when he could have short-blowed me in the face, throat, or chest while tussling. Also another friend of mine in the USMC subdued me with an elbow hold of some sort after I beat his shit with body slams and throat controls.

LSS I can subdue people with questionably lethal methods but fail spectacularly to people that know about self defense.

Mordekaien

Sep 3, 2010
Well, I think I would hold up pretty well, seeing as I was in few fights and never was the one who was on the ground afterwards (the only time i was scared was when I got slashed by a knife. When I landed a knee strike on his chin and he fell down, I almost shitted myself :D)

kelevra

Sep 4, 2010
I've been in two fights. I've come out physically okay in both. Humiliated by a bigger guy in the first, almost arrested for battery and assault in the second. In the first I stood up for a girl who was being picked on at a club, and got wrestled to the ground by someone with some pretty good groundwork skills- either a ju-jutsuka or an MMA trained guy- but I didnt get killed before the bouncers arrived. Since then, I sharpened up my groundwork with some experience in judo, and I continued with Goju-ryu karate- which in my experience is less good for competition fighting (stupid JKA scoring rules)- but is an excellent self-defense art. So, yeah, the second guy was less big but I was much better prepared. Also, he was drunk, and I was furious (girls, sigh). He hit me a few times, but I hit him back a lot more and a lot harder. Blood everywhere. Almost dumped him head first onto concrete with a wheel throw. Bouncers got involved, cops were summoned. I got let off on a warning because people vouched for me.

I'm just tired of fighting now to be honest. Thats why I carry mace.

*EDIT* I got lucky. No knives came out. My opponents were always drunk amateurs.

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
Well I have stashed alot of anger of my life and also with my memory of movies and games I have a lot of techiques to use on them...but other wise I dont know...

Friendshipandmagic

May 13, 2011
No one can beat me in a fight, I'll turn them into a teddy bear......what do you mean that only works in my imagination? Well, fuck.

I guess I'm boned in a real fight. :D

Kidding, mostly. I used to roughhouse with bigger guys all the time, I don't think I'd do badly.

Jessta

Feb 8, 2011
I've studied a bit of different fighting styles and I brawl with my friends all the time, I've never gotten in a real fight as everyone backs away before hand though. I'd probably to scared to throw a real punch and would just focus on kicking them over and trying to get em to knock it off to be honest. My kicks also have some weight behind them since I don't got anywhere without my 15 pound ankle weights.

If I have a stick no problem, I train with Shinai every week and Bokken every day so I'm good with the whole swinging motion and performing things like feint attacks.

Heh nerdy atheletics, Ankle weights because I saw it in Naruto and decided to give it a try, wooden swords because who the hell doesn't want to be some ultimate samurai master.

goldendriger

Dec 21, 2010
Well over the years ive taken many form of martial arts: Karate, Taekwondo, Judo, BJJ and MMA...so im pretty sure if i had to, i could choke a ***** out ;D Size dont make that much of a difference in grappling if you know how to use it

Monkfish Acc.

May 7, 2008
I'm a sickly cripple. Let's just think, now. What the fuck use would I be in ANYTHING physical?

So that's first question. Second question, I only tend to get myself involved in situations where a rescue is required. Somebody is getting jumped or ganged up on or whatever. Always ineffectual, of course, but sometimes I can talk people into focussing on me.

ramboondiea

Oct 11, 2010
i normally hold up well in a fight, i have a few years of karate under my belt and some wrestling aswell, but when a fight usually breaks out my aim is to throw the other guy to the ground then just beat the shit out of them. unless its a fight in a pub, my aim there is to just to hit and run as they always escalate very quickly.

and for your second question, i think fighting should only be in self defence, i dont think it can be legitimised i any other way

cthulhumythos

Aug 28, 2009
terribly. the best thing i could do in a fight is: punch in the face, swift kick groin, punch in the face, run away. assuming i was quick enough to not get hit myself.

Siege_TF

May 9, 2010
Emotional control (if not outright detachment) is essential, of course, which is why there's no substitute for free sparring. There's nothing like getting pummled a few times to get over the fear of getting bloodied up. Having said that, however, my 'back off' look is something like 'you have angered the badger' (google it), albiet with slightly less fur, and it works extremely well. You know you have 'the badger' when a stranger who (I can only assume) forgot to take his morning meds is walking beside you down the street and muttering to himself until he gets worked up enough to turn on you with a fist cocked... Then backs down because he can, very easily, read your poker face.

Anyways, if somewhere claims to practice 'no-contact sparring' as I've unfortunately seen in some shoto (why is it always shoto?) dojos then it doesn't have sparring any more than Tae-bo does, and is about as effective (not very). As for actual fights, I don't care to keep tabs on my wins, but I've had one loss and a draw; Know how you can't have a metal lunch box in grade school anymore? My bad. I was hit in the face by a metal lunch box in the fourth grade, supposedly, this would be about 1988 or 1989. I don't remember the incident due to being knocked out immediately. I may or may not have pinched the ass of a girl wearing a skirt two grades above me prior to the incident in question. The draw was in 2000 when a black bear made an earnest attempt to maul me, however I had my buck knife and the mauling became mutual, with both of us quitting to lick our wounds after a time. The missing flesh on my right arm between my elbow and shoulder is inconvenient in the extreme, but at least the scar (most of the others healed) gets the occasional compliment.

Lawnmooer

Apr 15, 2009
I'd probably hold my own in a fight...

Though I am just basing this on the fights I have been in...

2 memorable fights for me included me winning due to managing to knock my opponent off balance and send him into a wall (He hit his head hard, fell to the ground with a dazed expression and couldn't remember why we were fighting and walked off looking dazed...) and another time when someone started a fight with me, there was alot of punching and eventually we both got held back by about 5 people and forced to calm down.

I guess it helps that I am tall enough (And good enough at talking my way out of things) to mean that only idiots tend to start a fight with me, meaning that I can easily beat them (Either by beating them up or knocking them to the ground and walking away)

Vakz

Crafting Stars
Nov 22, 2010
I'm big and I'm tall. Fairly sure I would hold up pretty well in a fight, and I have been in quite a few. It has been some time since last though (must be five years or so now), and I do like to think that I've matured enough not to start a fight. I never really get the impulse of hitting someone, though I think it's fairly easy to push me to try to be intimidating and start screaming, I just don't start hitting.

Akukaishi

Dec 19, 2009
Winning a fight isn't about training. It's about psychology. Being able to bypass the social structures of our brain that tell us, over and over again, that hurting another human being is wrong. Training helps, yes, but the key to any victory is being more willing to hurt your opponent than they are willing to hurt you. I do pretty okay in fights, even without formal training and being horridly out of shape.

As for goading me into a fight, it's not that hard. All you have to do is harm someone I care about. After that...well. God have mercy on you. Because I won't.

Exocet

Pandamonium is at hand
Dec 3, 2008
I'm a pretty big dude that did some competitive wrestling and judo,so I'm familiar with how limbs can be twisted.
But in a fight,I would use my inelegant,yet oddly effective 3 step program:
1-crash tackle my opponent
2-punch abdomen
3-repeat until fight is over

The problem with martial arts is that in most of them,you are pitted against someone who will use the same style as you,which is not the case in a bar fight.
Case and point,a friend of mine did a Viet vo dao demonstration.First kick to the body,I absorded the blow,took his leg and sent him flying.Second try,I lunged to grab a limb,and while he managed to hit me in the back,I plowed forward with my inertia,grabbed both his legs and put him to the ground.

phelan511

Oct 29, 2010
How would I do in a fight? First off I'd try to defuse the situation with talking the person down, but if push came to shove and I had to defend myself? Level 2 US Army Combatives, followed by being a brown belt in brazilian jiu jitsu, if I can get the fight to the ground, I'll win. Take him down, achieve dominant position, he keeps fighting? Put him in a armbar or keylock and barely hold pressure. He continues to try to fight I'll snap his joints. Can't fight me with a broken arm or shoulder can ya?

Crises^

Sep 21, 2010
used to spar with leo conroy and darren kean darren was euro champ in tkd and leo was in the Irish team. One thing i would say is in a street fight tkd helps in the fact it helps you to keep calm and helps your reflexes.
Saying that though your not gonna start doing solar plex kicks and patterns in a fight where some one or more is swinging at ya.