How would you hold up in a fight?

Ampersand

May 1, 2010
GudangGaram said:
Tin Man said:
But you're right, fighting is NOT something that should be sought after. Not these days. People are too liable to pull out a knife or a gun, and then what? Things always escalate, especially when hurt prides are a factor...
Yeah a colleague/semi friend I worked with for six years was clubbed, stabbed and shot (I think in that order) over some argument his brother was in the night before. Also troubling was the fact that he was a boxing champion (I think national) but didnt stand a chance. Not much you can do against six armed guys. He survived (which was a miracle), though his brother suffered brain damage (from a bullet) and is paralyzed.

Some scary shit, and he was never the same again.

Ampersand said:
I'd recommend you look into something beyond tae kwon do. Even at it's highest levels it only really covers the basics of martial arts and doesn't really prepare you for real conflict (I can't speak for your dojo obviously but speaking from my experience of schools of taekwondo i've actually looked at). I'd suggest studying boxing or mma striking for the basics and then looking into something like Aikido(my first love;)) for the more advanced stuff, jujitsu is also quite useful, the great thing about those two is if you use them right you'll probably never need to fight anyone.
This is probably the best advise Ive read so far. I've tried Aikido but I found it to be a bit one sided to be the only thing to do, but it's still build into my system.
Thank you = D.
I don't think it's good practice to study one martial art forsaking all other. This is why I love aikido, because you can apply its principles to any other martial art you practice and they can learn from and build upon one another.

SIXVI06-M

Jan 7, 2011
Grabbin Keelz said:
You guys are awesome with hypothetical questions, so here's some more.

First. I've taken a year of Tae-Kwon-Doe lessons, I often practice sparring in my room, and I have a punching back I sometimes use. And yet, I still don't think I'd hold up well in a fight, especially against anyone slightly bigger than me. Sure we can train for combat, but when shit really does go down, anxiety tends to kick in and we don't do what we expect to. Hell my first fight was in 7th grade, nobody got hurt but the anxiety caused me to cry afterwards. So first question: how well (or at least how well do you think) could you take on somebody that's roughly your size? Tell us a story if you feel like it.

Second. I have been in a few situations where I probably would have gotten into a fight, but I didn't. You'd be amazed how well you can end a heated situation just by walking away, but maybe there are some circumstances to where you HAVE to kick his/her ass. So the second question is: aside from self defense, what would be enough to make you get into a fight?
Personally, if I had a girlfriend (or even a close ladyfriend nearby) and someone intentionally smacked her, I'd go Forrest Gump on their ass.
A martial art for baby deers and a martial art training equipment that retaliates :p

Okay, enough of being a dick and picking on you for typing this with your iPhone XD. Oh, and also- Forrest Gump is better known for running away than beating the living crap out of anyone :p. Okay, will stop now.

Anyway! personally - I feel like I can depend on my fast reflexes and fair strength and speed and a decent sense of balance. But I know I'm not invincible and whatever I can't see coming, I can't dodge, and of course- I'm relatively quick to judge when I'm fairly outmatched.

I learned a few things from someone who used to kill people for a living, and was very good at it too, I never actually learned anything about killing from him though, but quite a few handy self-defense and martial arts maneuvers and tricks. I also learned how to play a mean game of pool from him too, shame that's gone to rubbish now.

By and far, I know a a fair number of blocks, dodging maneuvers, recovery maneuvers, and I take an unconventional approach to self-defense, I feel like the environment around me is at my disposal - so long as I can stop the guy quickly, I'm not above headbutting, the use of my thumb, or even swinging someone into a signpost if they were silly enough to do a swinging lunge at me, I would endeavor to avoid fighting dirty of course, I believe well in karma and repercussions, keep it fair and be the bigger man.

But of course, in every scenario - diplomacy and prevention is my weapon. A battle well-fought is one that had been averted. Also the wisdom to completely not even be within any context of conflict helps - knowing how to dress in a dodgy place, knowing where to go when it gets dark, and generally knowing an ambiguous approach to things so as not to project any agenda or allegiances or possession keeps you alive in a lot of situations. Street smarts allow people to get away without needing to get into a fight at all.

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
I've done Tai Kwon Doe for 7 years (I am well aware it is not particularly useful in a fight) and I do weights most days. I'm only 5'11 but I think I could do a pretty good job of holding my own

Ruzzian Roulette

Dec 23, 2008
Aby_Z said:
When all else fails, there's a certain strategy that always works:

Step 1: Kick in groin
Step 2: Run away
This. If someone tries to hurt you, do whatever works. Honor or no.

Pragmatism for the win by the way.

Personally, I think I'd do fairly well, because I'm calm in anxious situations, whereas the other guy'd probably be hulking out. An angry soldier fights blind, as the old saying goes.

int boom

Aug 17, 2009
The fact that the general public is not allowed to bear arms means that the biggest guy will always win by virtue of rugby tackling.

Aetera

Jan 19, 2011
I'm pretty good in a fight. Not amazing, but all right. My steel-toed boots help. A lot of people in my dorm like to spar with each other for fun, so that's helped. My best friend is from inner Philadelphia('nuff said xD), and taught me a few things, too. Nothing fancy; just practical stuff. I've been in a few fights before and won.

So, yeah. One on one, I can hold my own. Two or more? Probably not. I'm pretty scrawny. Once again, though, my steel-toed boots help quite a bit. xD

kittii-chan 300

Feb 27, 2011
id kage bunshin their ass and make my self new puppet with the remains... anyway.
i dont know anyone the same size as me but if i was in a fight with someone the same size as me it would probably be easier. i even made my own martial arts style. so. yeah. good i guess. i would probably lose if there was 3 of them at my size. but i can beat infinite amounts of small kids.
Grabbin Keelz said:
Ha, classic. I'm guessing your a girl then.
sexist! >.<

Ryan Minns

Mar 29, 2011
I tend to talk myself out of most fights, a lot of people like to claim "The bigger they are the harder they fall" yet aren't very willing to put that into practise, the only people I have ever had trouble with were people larger then me and luckily they're either rare or like me, dislike starting stupid ass fights

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Ampersand said:
loc978 said:
...as a person trained through Tier 2 US Army Combatives, a year of Krav Maga, a few months of fencing, about a month of kenjutsu and a whole hell of a lot of firearms training/practice/experience... yeah.
I try to avoid physical confrontation, though.
As I see it physical combat always has the possibility of ending lethally for someone, and at its core, killing is its primary objective. Training and sport fighting are a different ballgame, of course, but in self-defense or the removal of a threat... the first person with the will, knowledge and opportunity to end the other's life tends to win, regardless of size (though size often creates opportunities all on its own). So basically, as I see it... anyone entering into a physical confrontation for reasons other than training or sport without the will to take their opponent's life is a posturing fool who should count themselves lucky if they survive the encounter.
I'm sorry but I could disagree more, the only times I've ever found myself in real danger when fighting is when I've tried to hurt my opponent. However if I really try to protect my opponent I can do it in relative safety.
In a case like what you describe... why are you fighting in the first place?

Ampersand

May 1, 2010
loc978 said:
Ampersand said:
loc978 said:
...as a person trained through Tier 2 US Army Combatives, a year of Krav Maga, a few months of fencing, about a month of kenjutsu and a whole hell of a lot of firearms training/practice/experience... yeah.
As I see it physical combat always has the possibility of ending lethally for someone, and at its core, killing is its primary objective. Training and sport fighting are a different ballgame, of course, but in self-defense or the removal of a threat... the first person with the will, knowledge and opportunity to end the other's life tends to win, regardless of size (though size often creates opportunities all on its own). So basically, as I see it... anyone entering into a physical confrontation for reasons other than training or sport without the will to take their opponent's life is a posturing fool who should count themselves lucky if they survive the encounter.
I'm sorry but I could disagree more, the only times I've ever found myself in real danger when fighting is when I've tried to hurt my opponent. However if I really try to protect my opponent I can do it in relative safety.
I guess I'm not. A better phrase would be conflict resolution. If there's a potentially violent situation, I don't care about beating the other person, I only care about making sure no one gets hurt.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Ampersand said:
loc978 said:
Ampersand said:
loc978 said:
I guess I'm not. A better phrase would be conflict resolution. If there's a potentially violent situation, I don't care about beating the other person, I only care about making sure no one gets hurt.
In that case, my values don't conflict with yours at all, and I don't consider that fighting... it's just not within my skillsets to do such a thing. If someone comes at me over words, the only ways I know to not seriously hurt (by which I mean damage) them are extremely painful... and those don't always work.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
Grabbin Keelz said:
You guys are awesome with hypothetical questions, so here's some more.

First. I've taken a year of Tae-Kwon-Doe lessons, I often practice sparring in my room, and I have a punching back I sometimes use. And yet, I still don't think I'd hold up well in a fight, especially against anyone slightly bigger than me. Sure we can train for combat, but when shit really does go down, anxiety tends to kick in and we don't do what we expect to. Hell my first fight was in 7th grade, nobody got hurt but the anxiety caused me to cry afterwards. So first question: how well (or at least how well do you think) could you take on somebody that's roughly your size? Tell us a story if you feel like it.

Second. I have been in a few situations where I probably would have gotten into a fight, but I didn't. You'd be amazed how well you can end a heated situation just by walking away, but maybe there are some circumstances to where you HAVE to kick his/her ass. So the second question is: aside from self defense, what would be enough to make you get into a fight?
Personally, if I had a girlfriend (or even a close ladyfriend nearby) and someone intentionally smacked her, I'd go Forrest Gump on their ass.

Good question. I would hold up pretty well considering I know a bit of Judo and would preferably not like to punch someone unless it is truly necessary. I prefer submission and humiliation.....hmmm damn I think that's worse than beating them down.

SilentCom

Mar 14, 2011
This is why you carry pepperspray, a stungun, a knife, or a handgun. If you were attacked, you can defend yourself with those, or at least deter your attacker. Of course, this is only if there is a reasonable chance you may be attacked.

K4ndY

Jun 10, 2010
Well as a girl, I can't really say I have a whole lot of experience in real fights. I used to play fight with my cousins growing up, but that's about the extent of it. I'm physically fit, in the sense that I jog and rollerblade every chance I get, but I don't have a whole lot of upper body strength so I doubt I would be able to defend myself very well.

If I fight against a girl my size, I'm pretty confident I would kick ass, but against a guy, I'd probably either have to fight dirty, or run like hell.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Seeing as I'm 6'8", 300 lbs, have a measure of experience (though much less than people who consider themselves "fighters") with both formal martial arts and street fighting, and a pain tolerance that can be somewhat unreal, I'd say I'd be just fine in a fight.

I haven't been in a fight in years though, either because people simply don't want to fuck with me or I simply don't let it get to that point.