Huge Update Headed For Gran Turismo 5

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Huge Update Headed For Gran Turismo 5

Gran Turismo 5 is due for its "biggest update yet," and best of all, it's entirely free.

Dubbed "Spec 2.0," the downloadable update brings with it a host of improvements for Polyphony Digital's hyper-realistic racer. Though it currently lacks a solid release date, Sony claims it will appear in "the next few weeks."

As for specifics, Sony's PlayStation Blog reports:

With this new update, all cars in the game will now have interior views. Although the level of visual details will vary based on what car you choose, you can now race from behind the wheel of any car in the game. In addition, you'll be able to get the 2011 season versions of the 11 NASCAR race cars for the first time.

Some of the other improvements introduced are greatly reduced load times when loading races, quicker menu response times, and adjustable opponent AI in Arcade Mode. Players will now have the option to save their progress during lengthy racing events so they can come back and finish at a later time, and can also adjust weather conditions for races using a slider function that goes from mild to severe.

The wildly popular Photo Mode has been updated to allow players to take pictures with their personalized driver avatars with customizable racing suits and helmets. You can even fast-forward and rewind race replays now to better capture that key moment in the race.

For those who enjoy racing online with your fellow gearheads, we're expanding the shuffle race mode. As with the same feature in Gran Turismo PSP, this allows friendly competition between players of different skill levels. Players setting up online races will also have a host of new regulations available to customize their own events. New bonus incentives are introduced for players who log in and play on a consistent basis.

Verbose, no?

Likewise, the blog also promises a host of upcoming announcements over the next few weeks regarding new vehicles and tracks for the game to be released as downloadable content.

Finally, Sony also wants to make sure that any of you prospective racers who still don't own a copy of the game can get in on the action. As of now, Gran Turismo 5 is available for $40, a $20 drop from the game's original retail price.

Given the imminent release of the Xbox 360's Forza 4, this news should come as little surprise. Will it be enough to ensure that Sony's exclusive racer can survive the inevitable storm of excitement for Microsoft's new game?

(That wasn't hypothetical guys. Seriously. I want to know. Can anyone get Jeremy Clarkson on the phone? Or, failing that, Adam Ferrara?)

Source: PlayStation.Blog [http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/10/05/gran-turismo-5-new-free-updates-dlc-and-price-drop/]

Corpse XxX

Jan 19, 2009
And still, you cannot put whatever wheels you want on whatever car you want..
Forced to be stuck with ugly stock wheels on cars worth a life amount of savings.

Same goes with styling..

Thats just bad, just simply bad..

Edit: also, i do not know why they have so many cars in that game, when you dont have a snowballs chance in hell to actually drive them since many of them are pretty near impossible to get...

And that retarded b-spec driver... FRUSTRATIONS!!!!

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Well, of course it can.

GT has always been the one for petrol heads, it's the one that old guys who 'don't play videogames' go out and get a console for. In my life I have met dozens of these fellows who have a Playstation and Gran Turismo, because they're into cars. GT5's release was in Autosport for crying out loud!

Forza, for whatever reason, hasn't made that kind of jump from the video game world into the cars world yet. Maybe Forza 4 will, who knows.

boeingguy787

Nov 19, 2009
Downloadable circuits, eh?
Dear god, they had BETTER include Circuit Gilles Villeneuve. I'd kill to have it in-game.

Vanbael

Arctic fox and BACON lover
Jun 13, 2009
New Vehicles and tracks, along with newer features? Keep this up Polyphony and polish up everything else and this might be the last Gran Turismo for a long time. Also, please bring back Special Stage Route 11. I missed it sorely from GT 3.
Forza can't replace Gran Turismo, they just can't. I hear a former roommate raving about Forza, he still doesn't get the point that Gran Turismo is for those seriously into car culture. Hell, were else can you find the car that YOU OWN, and be able to drive it in Monaco? Seriously, I even found my own Focus, in the same color, same year, and I raced it.

OCAdam

Oct 13, 2010
Sorry, but about the only reason I fire up GT5 anymore is when I feel like driving the X2010 Vettel. While I do love driving the wide variety of cars in GT5, I just got bored of havign nearly no challenge whatsoever even if I drove the same cars as the AI. Well... okay the NASCAR races were a challenge.... until road courses, then I blow them out of the water.

If they added Pikes Peak... then I might race a lot more GT than Forza. And considering I have every GT and Forza (except GT1), I don't like to consider myself a person taking sides. However, with the newer AI in each Forza, I feel like I get a better racing experience. Then on the other hand, GT gives me a better time with hot laps through the wider course variety. Also: rallies.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Vanbael said:
Gran Turismo is for those seriously into car culture.
Uh huh... Most of the revheads, hoons and ratrodders I know all play Forza and rave about the 'realistic' car customisation options on top of everything else. Of course, that also might be partly due to the fact that a PS3 is $500 they can't spend on car parts.

Hell, were else can you find the car that YOU OWN, and be able to drive it in Monaco?
Heh... a lot of people I know can't find their cars in ANY driving game because most don't include classic Aussie cars.

SomEngangVar

Sep 23, 2009
I'm actually very excited about this. Now the only thing that I'd really LOVE to see in the game would be engine/drivetrain swaps.

I was curious about the types of updates they were putting out. I had a feeling something big was coming. I didn't think it would take as long as it has to get DLC out but obviously now we know they were busy with this update.

instantbenz

Pixel Pusher
Mar 25, 2009
I'm not much for racers unless it was made 5 years ago and you can shoot at ppl.

Forza has been such a blatant copy cat with everything it does that if people have both options, I'd be surprised if they'd go with it.

Lastly, to prove my copy cat statement, what is with everyone using Kanye West - POWER?