Hugh Jackman Will be Wolverine Till The Day he Dies

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Hugh Jackman Will be Wolverine Till The Day he Dies

The Australian actor says he's got to find a way to keep playing Wolverine until he dies.

For X-men fans who were introduced to the franchise with Fox's cinematic offerings, Hugh Jackman simply is Wolverine, just as Pattrick Stewart is Professor X. It's hard to imagine any other actor filling his shoes - a sentiment Jackman himself agrees with. Speaking with Birdman [http://www.cigaraficionado.com/] inspired him to take greater pride in the Wolverine character.

"I said to my wife, 'The moral is that I should never stop playing Wolverine. I've got to find a way to keep playing him until I die,'" said Jackman, although he did add that "I know that someday they'll recast the role with another actor...I'd be happy if the role was eventually recast. It would mean that it had become iconic."

He says every time he plays the character, he gets better at it. "I always want to be in better shape than I was for the last one. I don't believe in stagnation. People say they try to maintain the status quo. But I believe the natural cycle means you're either advancing and getting closer to something or you're receding," he explained.

"Every time I play Wolverine I want to go further, physically and emotionally."

He's certainly nailed the role in all of the movies he's played him in, but good ol' Hugh, unlike Logan, does actually age, and with the past/future direction the latest X-men movies are taking [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/x-men%20apocalypse?os=x-men+apocalypse], you've got to wonder how long it will be before they have to recast a younger actor.

Source: E Online [http://www.cigaraficionado.com/]

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Now if only the X-verse could somehow join the MCU so that we could get that epic fight we always wanted - Wolverine Vs The Incredible Hulk. Unkillable vs Unstoppable, Best There Is vs Strongest There Is. Disney, ya know you can do it, you got Parker back and supposedly he's the more iconic hero. Wolverine shouldn't be hard.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
While I was familiar with the character before Jackman took over, he really has become W0olverine for me. U really enjoyed the last Wolverine movie so I'm hoping they do another one (though, like it or not, the X-Men movies are largely Wolverine movies too).

Mutie

Feb 2, 2009
I unfortunately dislike the X-Men movies... But I highly respect this and hope it to be the case. If Marvel gets the X-Men movie rights back, I hope they Dr. Strange him into the MCU.

Naqel

Nov 21, 2009
Remus said:
Now if only the X-verse could somehow join the MCU
I'm of the camp that believes X-men are at their best when they're separate from the rest of the Marvel universe.

Fantasy-superpower-racism only works when the world isn't crawling with superpower'd people.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
I think Jackmans got awhile before he ages out of the role. Wolverine is supposed to be this hardened weathered man of indeterminate age. He's supposed to feel a bit older than everyone around him. I worry more for Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellan.

Link_to_Future

Good Dog. Best Friend.
Nov 19, 2009
"Pattrick Stewart is Proffessor X"

Uhh...got an affinity for unnecessary double letters? :p

OT: I really liked Hugh Jackman as Wolvie back when I was 12. Now I quite honestly don't remember the last X-Men movie that I watched and I really don't have strong feels about the franchise or the casting. But if they decide to keep Hugh, eventually it's going to either drop back into computer retouched youth or simple cameo duty (or both).

Eventually is the key word though. I think he's still got the right rugged look about him to keep it going for quite a while.

deathbydeath

Jun 28, 2010
Isn't there some joke to be made about Logan not being killable? Or am I just not familiar enough with that part of the Sacred Marvel Canon?

Remus said:
Now if only the X-verse could somehow join the MCU so that we could get that epic fight we always wanted - Wolverine Vs The Incredible Hulk. Unkillable vs Unstoppable, Best There Is vs Strongest There Is. Disney, ya know you can do it, you got Parker back and supposedly he's the more iconic hero. Wolverine shouldn't be hard.
I'd prefer if they first tried to actually make good films instead of lukewarm hype trains. Also if they didn't shit the bed with every Hawkeye-related decision ever made.

Naqel said:
Fantasy-superpower-racism only works when the world isn't crawling with superpower'd people.
Actually there was a great chapter of Worm [https://parahumans.wordpress.com/2012/09/01/interlude-13/] that dealt with that sort of prejudice, and the Wormverse has way more parahumans (statistically speaking, plus all these powers are actually powers and not just people who are smart/roided up) than the Marvel or DC settings.

Objectable

Oct 31, 2013
deathbydeath said:
Actually there was a great chapter of Worm [https://parahumans.wordpress.com/2012/09/01/interlude-13/] that dealt with that sort of prejudice, and the Wormverse has way more parahumans (statistically speaking, plus all these powers are actually powers and not just people who are smart/roided up) than the Marvel or DC settings.
Wait... someone else on here has read Worm? HOLY SHIT!

Jan 12, 2012
And I was just talking to someone about my hopes that they would recast all the X-Men soon so that the MCU could have their own versions without having to shell out buckets of cash for the A-listers who make up the core X-Men. Ah well, I can't complain about seeing more Jackman, I like his acting.

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
He definitely became the definitive film version of the character. I'd find it really hard to see him recast. I feel the same about a lot of the Marvel cast these days. They'd have to change the whole marvel universe around form me to except them recasting someone other then Chris Evens as Steve Rogers, or Someone else as Tony Stark. They used their one acceptable recast with the hulk.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
We got a film version of The Avengers.
We got a film version of Guardians of the Galaxy.
We're getting a film version of The Inhumans.

It's not out of the realm of possibility to hope that an aged Hugh Jackman will be starring in a film version of Old Man Logan.

What a time to be alive.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Scrythe said:
It's not out of the realm of possibility to hope that an aged Hugh Jackman will be starring in a film version of Old Man Logan.
Believe, my friend. Believe hard.
If we believe hard enough, this movie might just become a real thing at some point in the future.
And if it does, I will weep at the glory of the nigh-impossible made manifest.

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
I love this, but the one thing I would like more is that he would stop getting SO ripped every time he plays the role, Wolverine was never THAT fit, and the amount of physical exhaustion this guy goes through when doing it is a bit too much.

If I remember correctly, that was exactly why he said a while ago that he had to stop.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Just "pre-age" the character in a movie through some artificial means (alien life-sucking space rays or whatever), using makeup and whatnot. Thus, you'll be able to keep him the same (older) age for the rest of the movies as the actor ages. Or set a movie/a series so far into the future, that a truly ancient Logan will look slightly older (this is assuming Logan ages very, very slowly, rather than not aging at all). The regular X-Men couldn't be around then, of course, but perhaps Logan could try to restart them in the far future or something.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Link_to_Future said:
"Pattrick Stewart is Proffessor X"

Uhh...got an affinity for unnecessary double letters? :p

OT: I really liked Hugh Jackman as Wolvie back when I was 12. Now I quite honestly don't remember the last X-Men movie that I watched and I really don't have strong feels about the franchise or the casting. But if they decide to keep Hugh, eventually it's going to either drop back into computer retouched youth or simple cameo duty (or both).

Eventually is the key word though. I think he's still got the right rugged look about him to keep it going for quite a while.
The X-men movies, and their casting has been mostly fantastic. The "new" x-men movies revived the franchise beautifully and they came full circle with the days of future past. Which was actually great, particularly for being a "time-travel" movie.

The only x-men movie that has been mediocre is the 3rd one, and mostly because wolverine had to act so very out of character, but even that had many awesome scenes.

Link_to_Future

Good Dog. Best Friend.
Nov 19, 2009
tzimize said:
The X-men movies, and their casting has been mostly fantastic. The "new" x-men movies revived the franchise beautifully and they came full circle with the days of future past. Which was actually great, particularly for being a "time-travel" movie.

The only x-men movie that has been mediocre is the 3rd one, and mostly because wolverine had to act so very out of character, but even that had many awesome scenes.
Oh, I don't doubt that the new ones are probably pretty ok. I'd even heard that First Class was pretty damn decent from everyone who has seen it.

X-Men have just never really done anything for me as a group. The first movie was fun but I latched onto Spiderman way harder and just sort of didn't watch any of the other X-Men films. By the time I was able to start being a bit less discerning about my movie going dollars, we were in the middle of a string of movies that were not exactly being reviewed well (Last Stand, Origins) and I didn't feel the need to jump on the train.

I don't doubt that there is something there for people who care about the stories and the characters. I'm just not particularly interested.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
faefrost said:
I think Jackmans got awhile before he ages out of the role. Wolverine is supposed to be this hardened weathered man of indeterminate age. He's supposed to feel a bit older than everyone around him. I worry more for Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellan.
He certainly is a fine wine of a Wolverine. I look back now to the first X-Men movie and it's like he's a little kid, while in Days of Future Past he has this terrific old, punch-drunk appearance.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Your spell checker is doing some weird and wonderful things, Mr Bogos.