Hulk Hogan Awarded $115 Million Dollars in Gawker Lawsuit

MrFalconfly

Sep 5, 2011
I believe the term is "Hoist by their own petard".

There's something absolutely lovely about watching bullies being hit, right between their eyes, with the consequences of their actions.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
Andy Shandy said:
Musou Tensei said:
Andy Shandy said:
Sucks that good journalists like Patrick Klepek and Jason Schreier...
They are garbage.

This has to be the final nail in Gawker's coffin, I wish it would have been Gamergate, which already cost them a lot of money, but whatever brother.
I'm sure you have some examples of better ones then? But from what I've seen a lot of big scoops - like this one about the PS4.5 [http://kotaku.com/sources-sony-is-working-on-a-ps4-5-1765723053] or this one about no mainline Assassin's Creed this year [http://kotaku.com/sources-next-big-assassins-creed-set-in-egypt-skippin-1750937895] - tend to come from either Klepek or Schreier. So yeah, in response to your video, I am serious.
Having contacts doesn't make you a good journalist, good journos just tend to have them. If you want a list of better journalists it'll be a long one. It's better just to include everyone who has never mined quotes for an article from a letter refusing comment on the issue, as Klepek has recently done. Also include every journalist who has never claimed that objectivity is not something the profession should strive for because pure objectivity is an impossibility, as Scheier has done on multiple occasions. It's not a coincidence that this list would include just about every journalist that has ever worked in the field for a publication that had some respectability. Perhaps they all know something that online journalists don't.

kiri3tsubasa

Jan 24, 2016
If only they had the ethics to say no to an illegally acquired physical tape (person that gave gawker tape has been charged with theft as far as I know) then they wouldn't be in this situation. They could then deal with the 4-6 other suits that are expected to pay in the tens if not hundreds of millions for regarding other unethical/illegal practices. Sorry gawker, New York State law requires you to pay interns.

Xeorm

Apr 13, 2010
So nice to wake up to such good news. The best part too? They're still acting like smug assholes because they think they'll win in appeals.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
Hogan won his case? The jury gave him more than what he asked for? This might be the end of that shit site Gawker as we know it?!

If Gawker does get shut down as a result of this, I might feel compelled to buy everyone on this site pizza as a way to celebrate. ^_^

mariosonicfan5

Jun 18, 2012
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Yes Hogan Tear them down, burn them down! Burn it all and piss on the ashes!

(Don't get me wrong its terrible when people lose their jobs....but these guys.....ugh)

DemomanHusband

Sep 17, 2014
Andy Shandy said:
Musou Tensei said:
Andy Shandy said:
Sucks that good journalists like Patrick Klepek and Jason Schreier...
They are garbage.

This has to be the final nail in Gawker's coffin, I wish it would have been Gamergate, which already cost them a lot of money, but whatever brother.
I'm sure you have some examples of better ones then? But from what I've seen a lot of big scoops - like this one about the PS4.5 [http://kotaku.com/sources-sony-is-working-on-a-ps4-5-1765723053] or this one about no mainline Assassin's Creed this year [http://kotaku.com/sources-next-big-assassins-creed-set-in-egypt-skippin-1750937895] - tend to come from either Klepek or Schreier. So yeah, in response to your video, I am serious.
The thing is that just because they can turn rumors into articles doesn't mean they're good journalists. Some rumors are right, some rumors are wrong, but from what I've seen the only thing that Klepek and Schreier have are sources, not good journalistic instincts or common sense.

For example, didn't Jason Schreier once say that Dragon Crown's Sorceress appealed to the lolicon fantasy? I'm sure I don't need to explain to you what lolicon is, just that the Sorceress being called a lolicon fantasy is like calling a fish a bird. If the man can't even be bothered to understand what a word means before he goes off and passes judgement on a character design using it, perhaps he isn't to be trusted with providing well made/interesting journalistic input.

LordLundar

Apr 6, 2004
FileTrekker said:
Gawker still have the right of appeal yet, so I don't think their demise will happen overnight; assuming they loose in the appeals court though, then yeah, it's probably goodnight Vienna. The damages awarded are already, what, about 115x their annual revenue? So yeah.
Yes they do have the right of appeal. Which they have to post a bond for $50 million (it's supposed to be the full amount but there's a cap of $50 million) before they can. Then if they lose the appeal (which is a pretty good chance because there really is nothing there they can argue) the appellate court can tack on additional damages.

There is no way they're getting out of this without at least a considerable liquidation of company assets.

GiantRedButton

Mar 30, 2009
FileTrekker said:
Gawker still have the right of appeal yet, so I don't think their demise will happen overnight; assuming they loose in the appeals court though, then yeah, it's probably goodnight Vienna. The damages awarded are already, what, about 115x their annual revenue? So yeah.

Not that I have that much love for Hulk Hogan either. As a wrestling fan who follows that quite closely, they're just as bad as each other as far as I can tell.

Give the $115 million to charity, I say.
In this state you need to pay the money before you can appeal. People estimated that paying 70 milion is enough to kill gawker so they would have to die in order to appeal.
Also punitive damages arent awarded yet. They can be up to 4 times the awarded amount. i would expect the number to at least double.
Not that it matters though. The wicked witch is dead either way

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
chadachada123 said:
Asclepion said:
It's 115 million dollars compensatory, and the jury wants to award punitive damages on top of that.

Gawker is fucking done. All of their investors are going to jump ship.
The key thing here, that I find truly hilarious, is that Hogan only asked for $100 million total, yet the jury keeps stacking more and more onto the total.

Something about that trial must have led the jury to believe that Gawker deserves to be ripped to shreds. I am finding it very difficult to have any sort of sympathy for them.

That it might mean the end of Jezebel and Kotaku is just icing on this incredibly delicious cake.
Someone needs to fire their lawyer : P

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
chozo_hybrid said:
I'll admit, I frequent kotaku, but that's where my relationship with gawker tends to stay, I know they aren't the best, but have been doing so since the start really, old habits die hard as they say. But I think Gawker are really in the wrong here, I'm not a huge Hulk fan, from what I hear he's a jerk, but that doesn't mean he deserved what they did.

Not sure if I agree with said image, but I think I see the point the person was making.
I think it's a pretty damn good point. Gawker was highly critical of Reddit for not shutting down a "Fappening" sub-Reddit, and then when they finally did, they criticized them for not doing it fast enough. It's important to note that the people posting those pictures on Reddit weren't Reddit employees, they were just members (in other words, they don't represent Reddit and they weren't being paid).

Gawker, meanwhile, has paid employees posting a sex tape of Hogan and defending it on the grounds of "oh well he talks about how he has sex, therefore it's ok to post a sex tape of him without his knowledge or consent", which is some of the weirdest logic I've ever heard.

Personally, I think this has everything to do with the fact that Hogan is a rich, white, "I love America" male who is a famous Pro-Wrestler, a sport that in the mind of most Gawker-types is something only enjoyed by dumb white trash who vote Republican.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Fox12 said:
I don't think any lawyer could have saved them from this outcome. Not with the stupidity Gawker's people showed while on the stand. They'd have been better pressed to plead the 5th in most of their dealings then to actually give answers like implying that a 5 year old is old enough for a sextap to be newsworthy.

MiskWisk

Mar 17, 2012
Fox12 said:
chadachada123 said:
Asclepion said:
It's 115 million dollars compensatory, and the jury wants to award punitive damages on top of that.

The key thing here, that I find truly hilarious, is that Hogan only asked for $100 million total, yet the jury keeps stacking more and more onto the total.

Something about that trial must have led the jury to believe that Gawker deserves to be ripped to shreds. I am finding it very difficult to have any sort of sympathy for them.

That it might mean the end of Jezebel and Kotaku is just icing on this incredibly delicious cake.
From the snippets I've seen, I imagine the lawyers just gave up because trying to shut up those smug idiots would probably have broken multiple laws regarding "acceptable force".

LordLundar

Apr 6, 2004
Fox12 said:
chadachada123 said:
Asclepion said:

They're lawyer was the only thing keeping them from from saying stuff that would have meant jail time.

runic knight

Mar 26, 2011
Good. Gawker deserves to sink in general, and the fact they went down in flames in such a fashion is rather entertaining. They can still appeal and all that, but considering that they actually had the asked for cost increased because of how well they represented their points of view, sort of doubt that will go far.
Good riddance.

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
The verdict is a blow for Gawker, which has rebranded itself as a politics site since it published the tape and has sought to clean up its image in the wake of a series of scandals.
#GamerGate you gawker punks. *Ahem* Sorry, what I meant to say was I wonder what scandal they could possibly be referencing?

Anyway, I don't care about hulk hogan's sex life, and gawker totally deserves whatever punishment they get handed down to them. From what I understand, they practically hung themselves almost from the word go. For the jury to hand down that kind of punishment they must have been really pissed off.

I could see gawker making this work on appeal, but it's going to be extremely costly for them to even get that far (they already have to pay a fifty mil bond just to appeal). I doubt we'll see much in the way of news stories talking about how bad gawker is (because the news companies have a vested interesting in seeing gawker win in regards to free speech rather than punished for being irresponsible journalists), but just the same...

Screw you, gawker.

fezzthemonk

Jun 27, 2009
DudeistBelieve said:
Good. Fuck these assholes. There is nothing journalistic about publishing a sex tape, it's just a dick move.

Jamie Walton of the Wayne Foundation had a pretty savage tweet though: "Hey @patrickklepek, I'm so sorry that this @Gawker settlement will put you out of your @Kotaku job!!! ...Not really, burn you misquoting pos" (https://twitter.com/JamieWalton/status/710974003213631488)

So very metal.

NXNW said:
Ravinoff said:
Anything that weakens the Gawker empire is a plus in my book. Haven't been following this case in particular, but the faster their reprehensible brand of "journalism" gets shut down, the better.
This is looking like it's probably going to weaken them in the same way that a knife to the heart weakens a person.

OT: On one hand, screw Gawker. On the other hand, $115 seems steep, even assuming lost future earnings and punitive damages. If this were about half the amount, I would have no reservations at all. Still, the reason it's so high is because of a pattern of bad behavior established by Gawker, so this is not a harsh ruling in a vacuum.
He did, legit lose his career over this though. Because they leaked that audio of him saying that racist shit, WWE fired him from his personality role and they are very unlikely to hire him back, at least for the forseeable future. And it's not like he can go to any other wrestling promotion and earn the same kind of money. He can't work anymore, his only value was as being a living relic of a by gone era of the sport.
He was also removed from the most recent WWE game (replaced by the terminate I believe) and was also removed from the wrestling hall of fame. He didn't have much, but he lost what little he did have.

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
But, if Gawker goes down and takes Kotaku with it, what site is The Escapist gonna cite for half it's articles?

OT: Really don't get the Hogan hate. This just seems like a case of "don't meet your heroes" that's resulted in him losing his career because the internet is now a thing that exists. I mean, it's one thing if his words and actions were public statements, but as I understand it, this is all happening because of things done/said in private. Somehow, I get the feeling that the WWE will start using him in media promotions again after he dies and all of this magically doesn't matter because there's money to be made.