Hulk preparing to leg drop Gawker over Sex-tape

Pseudonym

Legacy
Feb 26, 2014
Country
Nederland
The Lunatic said:
Back in 2012, Gawker Media Group, Owner of Kotaku, Jezebel, Gizmodo and various other "Media" websites published a sex tape back in 2012, the sex tape featuring Wrestling Superstar, Hulk Hogan.
Why did you put 'media' in scarequotes? (I did it to refer to the word rather than to actual media)

Anyway, I can see Hogans point. You shouldn't be releasing sex tapes to the public unless everyone in it agrees with it. (and is of legal age and probably some more caveats) Just releasing such material because you are a sleazy tabloid producer is not cool and deserving of legal punishment of some form or another. The 100 million dollar mark seems a bit ridiculous. I don't know what is normal in compensating people for damages (I don't know much at all about the legal stuff surrounding such issues to be honest) but it seems weird to just give 100M to Hogan. I can see that because you are dealing with a large company the best way to hurt them is to take a lot of their money but couldn't that also be a fine. I won't fault mr Hogan for it. (well, maybe a little) Who wouldn't like 100M but it seems weird to me that people would get filthy rich off of legal affairs.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Considering that Gawker were the shitlords that tried to purchase a drug tape for a TON of money from a drug dealer, I am neither surprised nor concerned for them.

They deserve every last dollar that gets squashed out of them for their brand of "personal journalism".

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Fappy said:
I have a distaste for Gawker just as much as anyone else does, but I don't quite understand gamers' obsession over it. There are far more nefarious corporations out there that could use a stern slap in the face, so why get so worked up over a sleazy press corp?
People do have the ability to hate more than one company for different reasons.

Sep 13, 2009
StatusNil said:
And let's not lose sight of the fact that it was Gawker who were the loudest in their protestations of THOSE celebrity nudes. They even took that completely unrelated topic and used to smear Gamergate as somehow an "associated" phenomenon. In short, they are disgusting hypocrites.

And that is one answer to Fappy's question of why we should care when there are other malignant corporations out there. They made it personal.

Godspeed, Mr. Hogan. FInish them!
It's very hypocritical, and it looks like Huffington Post has done the exact same thing with Greg Oden (whoever that is) and his nude photos.

Aside: I didn't get an notification for this post, that's been happening a fair bit to me recently. Where would I report this bug to the techies for this site?

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
The Almighty Aardvark said:
It's very hypocritical, and it looks like Huffington Post has done the exact same thing with Greg Oden (whoever that is) and his nude photos.

Aside: I didn't get an notification for this post, that's been happening a fair bit to me recently. Where would I report this bug to the techies for this site?
In the interest of information, Oden's a former/kinda-current professional basketball player. Not on the same level of public awareness as the Hulkster, but still likely a well-known public figure to some circles.

Yay internet journalism.

StatusNil

Oct 5, 2014
The Almighty Aardvark said:
This time it was probably my bad, I messed up the quoting at first and had to fix it with an edit. So that's why you didn't get a notification for that quote.

Vlado

Independent Game Journalist
Feb 21, 2015
I am rooting for the Hulkster, of course, like I often have in my younger years. :) Digging the image in the first post. If I remember well, Gawker were asked multiple times to remove the sex tape and just refused to. They are simply going to pay for their stupidity and arrogance.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
I'll just leave this here:

Any site that sleazy deserves to be sued into oblivion. (Note: Jezebel is owned by Gawker)

Gatlank

Aug 26, 2014
insaninater said:
The one thing that strikes me as a bit smelly about the whole deal is that it took him 3 years to sue. Why not do so immediately?
Bureaucracy. Gawker methods seem to try to settle without going to court and stall for enough time that people eventually just quit because isn't worth it or due to some technicality.
I think the fact that Hogan pushed for the courts even after 3 years caught Gawker by surprise.

seditary

Aug 17, 2008
insaninater said:
The one thing that strikes me as a bit smelly about the whole deal is that it took him 3 years to sue. Why not do so immediately?
He took them to court originally in the same year (2012) to get them to take down the video via a copyright claim. That didn't work because he hadn't actually taken the video, so didn't own it. So he shifted to breach of privacy.

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
How close to Jezebel is the rest of Gawker anyway? Is it just a case of a large organisation where the left hand doesn't know what the right is doing, or are all these people working in the same office or what?

Michel Henzel

Just call me God
May 13, 2014
Fieldy409 said:
How close to Jezebel is the rest of Gawker anyway? Is it just a case of a large organisation where the left hand doesn't know what the right is doing, or are all these people working in the same office or what?
According to what I found, all their blogs were made under the Gawker Media umbrella, and they all work in the same office space in New York.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
Aw man, at first I thought we were talking about the Incredible Hulk.

Anyway, as far as I'm concerned: good. Gawker (and its subsidiaries) are a joke. It basically seems to be a bunch of "Journalists" (I use the term very loosely, since basically all they do is republish other people's stories) being smug douchebags, and the commenters section is more smug douchebags patting themselves on the back about how smart they are.

Their logic here is insane as well. By that logic, you could release, without their consent, a sex tape of anyone who works as any sort of sex therapist, since they're 'so open about their sex life'

Though I will miss the "Why your team sucks 20__" on Deadspin that they do every year before the NFL season starts. That thing is hysterical.

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
Two things: First, ew. Second, I hope that Hogan's legal team runs roughshod over those Phony Bologna Riceroni Jabronis. I'm sure that Hogan doesn't need that much money, but you have to factor in that he's got to cover at least three years worth of legal fees, AND a good percentage of the reasoning behind that number is less "he should get this much", and more "they should pay this much". I think it'd be a class move if Hogan donated a percentage of his net gains to some charity or another if/when he wins, and as a role model, there's a non-zero chance he'll actually do that.

Zeljkia the Orc

Jun 5, 2015
And 'lo, Zeljkia wept because The Ultimate Warrior had passed away.

I would of loved to see TUW on Hulks side in the court room. The snorting would be intesne.

..... God damn it. The Ultimate Warrior/Hulk Hogan lawyer game akin to Phoenix Wright. WHY MUST THESE THOUGHTS BE HERE.