Hulu Denies PlayStation Plus Required for Premium Service

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Hulu Denies PlayStation Plus Required for Premium Service

Hulu has said that claims that watching its new premium service on PS3 will require a PlayStation Plus are nothing but "rumors."

Despite what you might have heard [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101787-Hulu-on-PS3-Requires-PlayStation-Plus-Subscription], Hulu's new subscription service will not require a PlayStation Plus subscription when it becomes available to the public. According to Hulu, a premium PSN subscription will only be necessary during the service's preview phase.

"With the launch of Hulu Plus there have been many rumors started and we are trying our best to remedy the situation," Hulu said in a statement to Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2010/07/06/hulu-playstation-plus-service-is-only-a-requirement-during-the/]. "The PlayStation Plus service is only a requirement during the preview period ... Once the preview period ends, [PS3 owners] should be able to download the Hulu Plus app, but that will still require the Hulu Plus subscription."

"Right now we are limiting the number of users, but Hulu Plus will be launching to the public very soon, so stay tuned!" Hulu added.

This news is likely to make many PS3 owners very happy indeed, but it raises the question that if Hulu Plus won't need a PlayStation Plus subscription in the future, why does it need one now? Hulu is limiting the numbers with preview codes, so an extra level of exclusivity seems redundant, unless this early access is supposed to be a benefit of having PlayStation Plus subscription, and this was just poorly communicated.

Source: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2010/07/06/hulu-playstation-plus-service-is-only-a-requirement-during-the/]

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
Huh, well I'm sure people will be happy they wont have to pay for two subs for Hulu. However, the Ps3 crowd has gotten quite used to not having to pay subs at all, so it may still suffer.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
That's great.

But $10 a month for a service that is free on your computer 10 feet away is still a ripoff.

Pielikey

Jul 31, 2009
Jumplion said:
That's great.

But $10 a month for a service that is free on your computer 10 feet away is still a ripoff.
This man makes a good point.

Rigs83

Elite Member
Feb 10, 2009
The distributors that work with Hulu at first did not want consoles and set top boxes competing with the cable and broadcast companies that pay for the content you see on your tv. Now that they are making people pay for premium stuff they are relaxing on that restriction because it opens up another revenue stream.

Rigs83

Elite Member
Feb 10, 2009
Pielikey said:
Jumplion said:
That's great.

This man makes a good point.
They are going to cut down on the free stuff to get you to pay for last nights episode of Gray's Anatomy.

CyberKnight

Jan 29, 2009
Erm, it came from their own website; I'm not sure if they can dismiss it as "rumor" so easily.

Skops

Mar 9, 2010
Rigs83 said:
Skopintsev said:
again, i re-iterate; Who the fuck cares about Hulu?
Apparently you do because you bother to comment and curse.
That makes very little sense. Just because I post on a thread, I sopposedly care?

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Rumours for now...but, who knows what could hapen in the future...

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Jumplion said:
That's great.

ditto tho commercial less episodes would be nice...no i must not fall for the trap!