Human Element to Use Real-World Resource Gathering

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
It's three years out. All these interesting ideas will either not work how they said they did or will get axed in the name of accessibility or market appeal.

A.Balthazor said:
Well, if we're getting 'realistic', it is going to take more than a trip to a pharmacy to fix most zombie-related injuries.
Yeah, you need a trip to the gun store for most of them.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
I don't think they would let you camp one spot for supplies anyway, that location would probably be "depleted" for a set amount of time, and you'd have to venture elsewhere for more.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
So its using ARG elements? HAven't people already done that before...

Also, makeing people, some of them nerds who have never used a firearm, go to a gun store and pull out there IPad... yeah that'll go well.

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
What if I just want to play this game and don't want to spend hours playing Googlemaps?
Sounds like a nice idea, but as you can see from this thread, we have already found numerous pitfalls.

And I'll say it again...playing Googlemaps is just not fun.
Isn't that what a game is supposed to be? Fun?

I like how the dev phrases it...
"Say my girlfriend doesn't want to play the console experience...but she's a complete retard and likes spending her time playing with google maps...I tell her to get out her map and send me some shit."

Riiiight. Who has a girlfriend who spends all her time playing with maps?

Can anyone imagine this scene?

You; "Hey darling, I need some supplies for my zombie game"
GF; "FUCKING AWESOME! I GET TO USE FOURSQUARE AGAIN! THANKS HONEY!"

tthor

Apr 9, 2008
It depends on how exactly they implement this real world gathering, but right now it sounds kinda pointless.. Idk, it'll probably sound better as more details are released

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
FelixG said:
ultimateownage said:
So if you live in an American city, you basically get to cheat.
>using a feature in the game
>your in an american city so its cheating

Wut?

Some people do have a better chance if they are around resources, thats how it has always been, life isnt fair.
You honestly need to read what you wrote again, because the first part is nonsense and the second part is ridiculous in the context of a game. And you're not on 4Chan, by the way; you don't need to use angle brackets and say 'wut'.

This mechanic would make the game trivially easy if you live somewhere like that, being able to get weapons and health items and whatnot easily without needing to do anything in the game. It's a nice concept, but it's not something which is going to work in a game.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Xan Krieger said:
Seems like it's giving people with fancy mobile devices an unfair advantage. I would say if the game is multiplayer then the feature should be removed, it should only be in single player.
Not even that, I say. It should be an option, not a necessity. People in england would then be screwed for guns and most other weapons, to be honest. What about people who live nowhere near a pharmacy or grocery store? It's a nice idea, but if it relies upon it, it'll shut a lot of people off, and not just people who can't afford the "fancy mobile devices".

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
...Ambitious but I can see many ways in which this feature could balls up the experience for a larger audience. We'll see.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Well, since I don't live in America I'm pretty much fucked if I run out of ammo.
At least there's a pharmacy one block away, and I live on top of a supermarket. Should be a few comfortable months before the zombies get me. xD

Starik20X6

Oct 28, 2009
"Damn, out of ammo, guess I'll just pop down to my local gun store and- oh that's right I live in a place where gun shops aren't as common as petrol stations"

- Nearly everyone that isn't in the U.S.A.

I think it's a brilliant idea, but it seems like it's going to be way unbalanced. It'd work fantastically if the resources were something more universally accessible... I can see it being really good for a kind of Tamagotchi/Nintendogs/other virtual pet thing. "Your pet is sick! Better pop down to the pharmacy and get it some medicine!" "Your pet is hungry! Go get it some food!" "Your pet needs some exercise, take it to the park!"

TheCaptain

A Guy In A Hat
Feb 7, 2012
It sounds fun though... Though I wouldn't go out specifically to gather in-game-ressources, it could be fun to walk by the hunting store and "scavenge" it for guns and ammo. It could even be fun that gun stores are less common here in Germany; after all, in case of an actual zombie apocalypse (can't believe I just said that) we'd have to do with what we got anyway.

I just hope the actual game is any good, the gimmick on its own can't carry the whole experience.

GameChanger

Sep 5, 2011
zidine100 said:
This sounds awful. Come on how much of a idiot do you think you will feel, traveling to the next town, just to get medical supply's for a in game character. A huge idiot, especially when you walk into a small pharmacy and just stand there to get items. Just imagine the person behind the counter face, if they ask can we help you? And all you have to reply is with, nope im just here picking up items for my virtual character. Yeah.... you'd look like a idiot.
That's exactly what I was thinking while reading the article. Especially for the socially awkward kind that the gamer community is rife with. I don't understand how someone thought this could be a good idea. I mean, it sounds cool, but I doubt its practical use. But maybe we're overestimating it. Maybe it's just that when you have to go somewhere you can make use of the situation to help out your game character so you can leave your pc once in a while.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
I see a lot of nerds sitting in supermarkets now. play the game, get injured, insta-medical supply.

Apr 5, 2008
That's a very, very cool idea. I don't know about Google Maps specifically but the idea of using something out of the game to help or hinder inside the game is genius. Very clever, if a little too notpr0n for me (could never get past level 9). Major downside though is that it pretty much completely breaks immersion, gives certain players advantages over others and serves as further verification that a PC remains the superlative platform for all things.

Pedro The Hutt

Apr 1, 2009
Definitely an idea from someone who lives in a city. The nearest pharmacist is an hour's walking from me, and similar for a grocery shop or a butcher. And I don't even live in the most isolated part of Belgium.

And indeed, restocking on guns or ammo through real life means also isn't very feasible here. Guess I'll have to defend myself with a cleaver.