Humble Bundle 8 Grows 4 Games Humbler

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Humble Bundle 8 Grows 4 Games Humbler

Tiny & Big in Grandpa's Leftovers, Intrusion 2, English Country Tune, and Oil Rush have been added to the bundle.

The Humble Bundle 8 is the latest in the "pay what you want" indie game deals from the folks over at Humble Bundle. [https://www.humblebundle.com/] Initially including only 7 games and their soundtracks, the bundle has now grown 4 games humbler, adding Tiny & Big in Grandpa's Leftovers, Intrusion 2, English Country Tune, and Oil Rush to its contents. The games are included for all past and future purchasers of the bundle - provided you cough(ed) up more than the "average" price (currently listed as $5.72 USD).

Tiny & Big in Grandpa's Leftovers is a 3D physics-driven "slice-and-dice" platformer, Intrusion 2 brings ragdoll physics to classic side-scrolling arcade shooters, English Country Tune is a geometric puzzler that might just push you over the edge, and Oil Rush is a naval strategy game that channels Kevin Costner's Waterworld.

The Humble Bundle 8 previously reached over $1 million in sales [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124443-Humble-Indie-Bundle-8-Rakes-In-Over-1m-In-Sales], proving that treating gamers with respect and providing DRM-free games in a fantastic package where the buyer can choose to pay however much they think is enough, is the right way to go.

The current total has doubled since we last reported, reaching well over $2 million with over 300,000 units sold. If you still want in on the bundle which contains some smash hits like Hotline: Miami and Awesomenauts, you have until June 12 to buy it.

The best part about buying the bundle is you can choose exactly where your money goes. Think Child's Play is a stupid charity? Give it all to the developers! Think the Humble Bundle deserves a bigger tip for making this possible? Give them a bigger cut! Think one of the games is really bad and it doesn't deserve the money? Well, you can cut out individual developers!

Source: Humble Bundle [https://www.humblebundle.com/]

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Hadn't heard of these games before, but I always love it when the Humble Bundle does this (which appears to be every single time). The backlog grows ever-larger!

Mordekaien

Sep 3, 2010
And it was definitely grat that I bought it for the Awesomenauts and Thomas was Alone- and yet they give me even more value for my money. I feel like I cheated them now.
I am looking to the Tiny Big and Intrusion especially.

eevangoh

Sep 4, 2011
Platformer, platformer, platformer, puzzle platformer, Dear Esther, Hotline Miami, Dear Esther wannabe, platformer, platformer, platformer, strategy. Anyone else getting tired of this trend in indie gaming?

Mr F.

Jul 11, 2012
eevangoh said:
Platformer, platformer, platformer, puzzle platformer, Dear Esther, Hotline Miami, Dear Esther wannabe, platformer, platformer, platformer, strategy. Anyone else getting tired of this trend in indie gaming?
Not really, and I do not even like platformers (I mean, other then Crash Bandicoot. Man, I miss playing Crash.)

Mainstream developers seem to be ignoring platformers these days. Dear Esther is an art game (I wouldn't even say "Game") and I am looking forward to see if it is interesting enough to entertain me. It certainly would not get produced by anything else. Sure, I think that art pieces being sold as games is a bit strange, but unless a new genre is invented (Digital art) it is the only way to mass distribute things. Some of the arty games I have played I have enjoyed (Every day the same dream, The Company of Myself. Seriously, go play that. Now. http://www.kongregate.com/games/2darray/the-company-of-myself)

So...

Yeah.

I guess it is becoming popular to state that indie games are all the same and stuff. You know, like Yahtzee did with regards to Limbo. I guess there is a bit of a trend towards platforming, but now I can use the same argument that gets thrown out whenever Sarkeesian is mentioned and other such lovelies

"Vote with your wallet. If you do not like it, don't buy it. Go make your OWN game."

Cause that is the beauty of indie developing. You could go make your own game. And if platformers and puzzle platformers were not incredibly popular, they would not sell like hot cakes.

eevangoh

Sep 4, 2011
Mr F. said:
"Vote with your wallet. If you do not like it, don't buy it. Go make your OWN game."
That's an incredibly faulty argument.

Mr F. said:
I guess there is a bit of a trend towards platforming,
A bit? I just showed how ninety fucking percent of the games in the Humble Bundle are platformers.

piclemaniscool

Dec 19, 2008
This is just amazing. I had purchased the humble Indie bundle 8 last week (over average) and today I go to the download page I was linked in the initial email, and guess what? all the new games added! I recommend everyone to support these guys, not just for the awesome games I've been playing all week, but that is some damn good customer service.

Mr F.

Jul 11, 2012
eevangoh said:
Mr F. said:
That's an incredibly faulty argument.

Mr F. said:
I guess there is a bit of a trend towards platforming,
A bit? I just showed how ninety fucking percent of the games in the Humble Bundle are platformers.
Yeah, I know, I was sorta using it to be annoying. I really hate that argument. Then again, it does sorta hold true. You can just not buy the platformers and wait for more games to come out. Also, it is sorta understandable that platformers and puzzlers are the most common indie games. They are the easiest to make after all.

Lancer873

Oct 10, 2009
So, guys, I'm just going to say this:

If you do not already have Intrusion 2, here is your chance. Get Intrusion 2.

eevangoh said:
Little Inferno isn't a platformer, nor is English Country Tune, and Awesomenauts is more of a MOBA than a platformer. That leaves 2 puzzle platformers and 2 action platformers out of a total of 11 games.

And frankly I wish there was a more core platformer in the bundle... We've had gems like Super Meat Boy and Dustforce in the past but none of the games in this bundle really focus on the platforming to a hardcore degree, from what I can tell. Not to say that the other games in here aren't necessarily good. I've heard great things about Thomas Was Alone, and in case you couldn't tell I absolutely love Intrusion 2.

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
I urge anyone who hasn't played Tiny Big to pick up this bundle if solely for that.
One of the best puzzle action games I've played since Portal.

SSJBlastoise

Dec 20, 2012
Does anyone know if you can add money to your original purchase so that it is over the average? I bought it for $1 because I already have Hotline Miami and Proteus looks kind of boring so I didn't feel the need to spend more than I needed to but now I want to get the other games but I don't want o by it again so I have a whole heap of extra keys.

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
SSJBlastoise said:
Does anyone know if you can add money to your original purchase so that it is over the average? I bought it for $1 because I already have Hotline Miami and Proteus looks kind of boring so I didn't feel the need to spend more than I needed to but now I want to get the other games but I don't want o by it again so I have a whole heap of extra keys.
If you bought the bundle before they added the games, you automatically get the new games.

Check the url that's hopefully still in your email. They should all be available on your humble page.

SSJBlastoise

Dec 20, 2012
Easton Dark said:
If you bought the bundle before they added the games, you automatically get the new games.

Check the url that's hopefully still in your email. They should all be available on your humble page.
Ah ok, thanks for that!

I was under the impression that you only got them if you had paid more than the average but this makes the humble bundle so much better. I think from now on I'll pay more than the average anyway, just to support the cause.

Andrew_C

Mar 1, 2011
erttheking said:
Hey, can these games be played on the mac?
According to my download page, all of them (and none of them appear to be using Wine either, judging by download sizes). Indie developers are generally much better at supporting Mac and Linux than the major studios.