Humble Bundle Selling Spiderweb Software's Indie RPG Library

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Humble Bundle Selling Spiderweb Software's Indie RPG Library

Humble Bundle's weekly sale will feature Spiderweb Software's RPG library until July 18th.

If you haven't heard of Spiderweb Software, you've been missing out. Founded in 1994, it's produced a venerable library of lengthy role-playing games that, though low tech, have entertained countless fans of classic RPGs. If that wets your appetite at all, you may want to take a peek at the <a href=https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly#contribute>Humble Weekly Sale presently running over at Humble Bundle.

Contained within the current sale are fifteen of Spiderweb Software's titles and while some are simply remakes of other games included in the overall sale, the sheer amount of content you can get, even just paying the minimum one dollar, is pretty impressive. Likewise, with the current average only standing at $4.45, you won't even need to lay down five dollars to pick up the complete package.

Now, there are some obvious caveats to Spiderweb's games. A second's glance is all you'll need to see how decidedly indie their production values are. That said, visuals don't make the game and, if you're willing to look past some of the rougher edges, Spiderweb's library contains a lot of depth and content that fans of old school role-playing games can love. <a href=http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/avadon-the-black-fortress>Avadon: The Black Fortress is arguably well worth the price of the package by itself. Coupled with fourteen other games it's, simply put, just a great deal. If you fancy buying Humble Bundle's Spiderweb RPG package, you have until Thursday, July 18th, after which it will be replaced by the next Humble Weekly Sale.

Source: <a href=https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly#contribute>Humble Bundle

Micah Weil

Mar 16, 2009
Exile (known as Avernum these days) was one of the best shareware games back in the day. It was one of the first games that I happily laid my money down for full versions. They rarely disappoint.

This bundle is WELL worth putting down a few bills for.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
A few of my older Spiderweb CD's don't work anymore, I may just have to check this out.

NotSoNimble

Aug 10, 2010
Already own them all except Black Fortress, had to buy them again tho... who wants some free STEAM keys???

Done done and done.

Great games, Enjoy!

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Ahhh, nostalgia rush!

The original Exile (with the terrible home-made sprites) was one of the first games I ever played and the first RPG I ever played.

Ymbirtt

May 3, 2009
Geneforge is an RPG which can be beaten entirely by talking your way out of things and sneaking around places that you perhaps shouldn't be. This alone should be enough to pique your interest.

Chessrook44

Legacy
Feb 11, 2009
Country
United States
Totally worth the purchase I'd say. I've played through many of the games myself and already own half of them, but I think I might buy it anyway, give away the steam Keys for what I already have to some friends.

Even been doing some Let's Plays of the Geneforge series for the past few months. If you don't know anything about them and want a brief glimpse of what that series is like feel free to ask me for a link or take a look.

godslayerIV

May 18, 2013
those this bundle come with steam keys?
I already own almost all this game except the Geneforge saga own steam.

The_Great_Galendo

Sep 14, 2012
Chessrook44 said:
Totally worth the purchase I'd say. I've played through many of the games myself and already own half of them, but I think I might buy it anyway, give away the steam Keys for what I already have to some friends.

Even been doing some Let's Plays of the Geneforge series for the past few months. If you don't know anything about them and want a brief glimpse of what that series is like feel free to ask me for a link or take a look.
I wouldn't mind seeing a link to a Let's Play of whichever game you like best. I'm not usually a fan of western isometric RPGs, though I had a pretty good time with Baldur's Gate, and at five or six bucks I can see that this bundle's a pretty good deal even if only one or two of the games turn out to be good.

That being said, I looked at the short videos on the Humble Bundle website and the gameplay on all of them looks pretty much the same, which is a strike against it in my book. The descriptions don't give much of a hint on whether the plot and/or characters are anything to speak of, but the implication by absence is that they're not. Would anyone like to say which game is their favorite, and maybe give some idea of why someone would want to play it (plot, gameplay, characters, ambiance...what does that game do well)?

Padwolf

Sep 2, 2010
This seems like a great bundle, I'd really like to try Avernum, it looks great and I've never played it before.

NotSoNimble said:
Already own them all except Black Fortress, had to buy them again tho... who wants some free STEAM keys???
Are you being serious good sir?

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
NotSoNimble said:
Any chance you could toss me Avernum Escape from the Pit? I'm a bit short on cash lately.

Mr.Amakir

Jun 2, 2010
NotSoNimble said:
If you are being serious I would appreciate a Steam key.

Chessrook44

Legacy
Feb 11, 2009
Country
United States
The_Great_Galendo said:
Chessrook44 said:

I wouldn't mind seeing a link to a Let's Play of whichever game you like best. I'm not usually a fan of western isometric RPGs, though I had a pretty good time with Baldur's Gate, and at five or six bucks I can see that this bundle's a pretty good deal even if only one or two of the games turn out to be good.

That being said, I looked at the short videos on the Humble Bundle website and the gameplay on all of them looks pretty much the same, which is a strike against it in my book. The descriptions don't give much of a hint on whether the plot and/or characters are anything to speak of, but the implication by absence is that they're not. Would anyone like to say which game is their favorite, and maybe give some idea of why someone would want to play it (plot, gameplay, characters, ambiance...what does that game do well)?
The Avernum series is a series I personally love for the setting. Avernum itself is a series of caves deep beneath the surface, wherin the Empire tossed all their criminals, monsters, political rivals, undesirables, gays, misfits, and so forth in a form of exile, through a one-way portal, trapping them in the caves, a place filled with deadly monsters. i.e. Fantasy Australia, but deep underground. The games follow the stories of those within as they fight their way to security, freedom, independence, and survival (All across all six games).

Geneforge I love due to the themes and beyond just the setting. It follows the Shapers, a sect of magic-users with the ability to shape and create life itself. They have done this to make living better, defense, and war, and jealously guard their secrets. You yourself are a shaper in the games, and throughout can make your own little minions, going across in your adventures with your own private army of giant scorpions, magic-spewing floating squid creatures, and fire-breathing raptors. Its best part however, is not that... but the story and themes explored. As you go further in the games and see more of the sides available, it soon becomes clear that there is no true good, and no true evil. Everyone has legitimate reasons, and everyone is going to extremes to get it. I've done a Let's Play of the first Geneforge game and am in the process of doing the second... both visible in their respective playlists on my YouTube page here. [http://www.youtube.com/user/Chessrook44]

Nethergate I know a bit less of, it following a more magical version of a war between the Roman Legions and the Celts. I'm afraid I don't know much more than that.

Avadon I similarly don't know as well, having not played much of it either.

I should also mention however, that ALL of Spiderweb Software's games have a demo, downloadable for free at their website here, [http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/] and the demos tend to show off a good portion of the game. Heck, the first Geneforge lets you try out an entire QUARTER of the entire game. For free. I'm not kidding here, so you have no reason to not at least try the games.

The_Great_Galendo

Sep 14, 2012
Chessrook44 said:
All right, you've convinced me. I'm still not sure which one to play first, but I suppose there are worse problems to have. Should the games be played in series order for story purposes, or is any old order acceptable?

Chessrook44

Legacy
Feb 11, 2009
Country
United States
The_Great_Galendo said:
Chessrook44 said:
All right, you've convinced me. I'm still not sure which one to play first, but I suppose there are worse problems to have. Should the games be played in series order for story purposes, or is any old order acceptable?
Each individual series (Avernum, Geneforge, Avadon, and Nethergate) is unconnected to the other once, so you can play them in any order. All you should take note of is that you may encounter Engine Whiplash if you play in a certain order, due to the difference in engines and the time between games. Nethergate and the first three Avernum games share one engine, and Geneforge, Avadon, and the second three Avernum games share another engine. So just be aware of that, but feel free to play whichever series you wish.

Within the series though, play the games from 1-5/6 for the sake of story. Avernum: Escape from the Pit is fairly identical story-wise to the first Avernum game, so you might be able to play either one at the start of your Avernum playthrough.