Humble Weekly Sale Packages Great "Retro Shooters"

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Humble Weekly Sale Packages Great "Retro Shooters"

System Shock 2, Serious Sam HD, Hard Reset and more are headlining this week's Humble Weekly Sale.

The Humble Bundle is really nailing it this week. Yesterday, the Humble Indie Bundle 9 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/127697-Humble-Bundle-Goes-Indie-Again] put together one of the best collections of indie games we've seen in quite some time, and today's Humble Weekly Sale "Retro Shooter" offering might be even better. Starting about an hour ago and running for a total of seven days, no more and no less, you can scoop up Serious Sam HD: The First Encouter, Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter, Shadow Warrior Classic Redux and Duke Nukem 3D Megaton Edition for any price you care to pay - and as long as you pay at least $1.00, it's Steam keys all around.

But things get really interesting if you pay a minimum of $6.00. I have no idea why the line is drawn at six bucks but whatever the reason, if you cough up at least that much you also get Hard Reset Extended Edition plus the soundtrack and - here's the really exciting part - System Shock 2 and its soundtrack as well.

Now, I'm the first to admit that getting all wound up over a 14-year-old game is a bit silly, but System Shock 2 isn't just any game. The fact is that the world is divided into two kinds of people: Those who know what I mean, and those who need to find out what I mean. Hard Reset is also excellent - well, maybe not "excellent" in the strictest sense, but certainly quite good as an incomprehensible, high-energy run-and-gunner - and Serious Sam: The First Encounter was a standard-setter in its day and holds up very well now. Shadow Warrior and Duke Nukem are perhaps a bit overly retro for some of you, but they're serious classics - and hey, for the price, there's not too much to complain about.

Most of you likely already own some or all of these - that's the way it goes with retro game bundles - but it's still a fantastic deal. If you're missing even just one or two of these games, this is a great opportunity to fill that hole. The "Retro Shooters" Humble Weekly Sale runs until 2 pm EST on September 19.

Source: Humble Bundle [https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly]

deathzero021

Feb 3, 2012
I have the first 4 games there. Honestly i can't believe they would do a "retro shooter bundle" without Doom and/or Wolfenstein!

maddog015

Sep 12, 2008
You know what? I don't own any one of those games. But for 6 bucks (at the time of me writing this) for all 6? Count me in.

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
Does SS2 even count as a shooter? I mean, its RPG elements and setting are great, but its shooter mechanics are (somewhat intentionally) awful.

wolf_isthebest

the Insane
Mar 4, 2009
Why do the come out with this great bundles 1 week before gta5. I don't have the time and money to help charity this month...

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
You know, something I don't get. The Humble Bundles are increasingly offering Steam keys for their games, but what about GOG? Most games sold in Humble Bundles are available on there, and it's a good way to get periodic patches as well as, in the case of older games like these, copies that actually work on modern systems to begin with. Whereas on Steam, older games are much more likely to be woefully out of date.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Steve the Pocket said:
You know, something I don't get. The Humble Bundles are increasingly offering Steam keys for their games,
Offering Steam keys is one thing. Offering ONLY Steam keys is worse. Note the asterisked item: "Note: This bundle provides Steam keys only."

Steve the Pocket said:
but what about GOG? Most games sold in Humble Bundles are available on there, and it's a good way to get periodic patches as well as, in the case of older games like these, copies that actually work on modern systems to begin with. Whereas on Steam, older games are much more likely to be woefully out of date.
Steam:Game Distribution::Windows:Operating Systems. Doesn't matter if it works less than the competition when you're big enough.

I don't agree with it myself. Even their limited DRM is still DRM and vendor lock-in. I don't have a Steam account and consequently will be skipping this bundle.