Hundreds Injured In Russia Meteorite Near-Miss

Da Orky Man

Yeah, that's me
Apr 24, 2011
Beryl77 said:
This is exactly why NASA needs a bigger budget.
Anyway, pretty big coincidence that this happened merely a few hours before the asteroid DA14 will pass earth. Two in one day, doesn't happen often.
You would be surprised. Its quite possible that the two rocks were created in the same collision a few mission years ago or such, and so were sent on similar orbital paths around the sun. We were just lucky that it was the smaller one that happened to be aimed slightly more towards us.

The size impacts of the larger one, the one that's going to pass us, happens more often than you may think. The Tunguska event was about that size, and events that sound similar have been recorded for a good couple of thousand years.

EDIT: After looking for a bit more info, a number of people/organisations, including the ESA, have declared that the two meteors are probably not related, on account of travelling in vastly different directions.

Jack Rascal

May 16, 2011
This is an amazing video of the meteor.

Cool, kinda terrifying, but cool. Though our news site says 950 injured...

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
itsthesheppy said:
The scary thing is, we had no idea. This thing just showed up and we're all scratching our thick monkey craniums and going "ooooh" at the sky.

The asteroid disaster movies lied to us. If a planet killer really hits us, we'll be dead long before it has time to show up on Reddit.
No, we'll see planet killers. Meteorites won't destroy us. Extremely large meteorites can level cities, sure, but they'll never end our planet. It's asteroids that'll kill us. Though we're not dinosaurs, so even impacts large enough to alter our climate wouldn't kill us off completely. And anything that large, we'd probably be able to nuke anyway.

itsthesheppy

Mar 28, 2012
Denamic said:
itsthesheppy said:
The scary thing is, we had no idea. This thing just showed up and we're all scratching our thick monkey craniums and going "ooooh" at the sky.

The asteroid disaster movies lied to us. If a planet killer really hits us, we'll be dead long before it has time to show up on Reddit.
No, we'll see planet killers. Meteorites won't destroy us. Extremely large meteorites can level cities, sure, but they'll never end our planet. It's asteroids that'll kill us. Though we're not dinosaurs, so even impacts large enough to alter our climate wouldn't kill us off completely. And anything that large, we'd probably be able to nuke anyway.
I don't have the quotes in front of me, but I'm pretty sure astronomers more educated than I have made it clear that we don't have that many eyes on the sky, and that a planet-killer could easily sneak up on us.

the7ofswords

Apr 9, 2009
Just FYI ... that's Phil Plait.

His "Bad Astronomy" blog is here: http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy.html

Karma168

Nov 7, 2010
Denamic said:
And anything that large, we'd probably be able to nuke anyway.
Not really. If we say an extinction level asteroid has to be at least 1KM across that's over 4 Billion cubic metres of rock (assuming it's spherical). Even firing the entire nuclear arsenal of the world combined (even borrowing the ones N. Korea has) would barely slow it down - worse it could shatter it into hundreds of smaller (but still massive) chunks that cause even more damage; think of it like buckshot from a shotgun - hundreds of individual fragments slamming into the Earth all across the surface.

If we spot an extinction level asteroid heading right for us:

It'd be a case of gtfo or go back to a population of less than 10 thousand.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
As this is Russia presumably the Zone impact site will soon be cordoned off by the military to stop treasure hunters coming in search of artefacts.

F'Angus

Nov 18, 2009
Thank God for all those Russian dash-board cams. If this had hit the UK we'd have probably missed it.

Jesse Billingsley

Mar 21, 2011
flarty said:
Incredibly unlucky. Wasn't it only 100 years ago when one fell in Tunguska? Isn't that like lightning striking twice?
Consider the fact that Russia, as a land mass, is huge (bigger if you include all of Asia). Its like shooting an arrow at a target with the big white space around your target representing Russia and the board holding up your target being the ocean. You have 50/50 chance of hitting the ocean, or Russia.

Plus I'm sure Tunguska wasn't the only time they got hit.

Lopende Paddo

Aug 26, 2004
Kmadden2004 said:
[obscure, nerdy reference powers: activate]

So when can we expect to send the mobile infantry out the Klendaathu to take out the damn, dirty bugs who threw these rocks at us?

OT: that bang was epic! It's unbelievable that the actual bang was created when the meteorite entered the atmosphere! A rock hitting air hard enough owns all!

Me55enger

Dec 16, 2008
F said:
Thank God for all those Russian dash-board cams. If this had hit the UK we'd have probably missed it.
If it had happened in the UK it would probably have been cloudy. I have NO idea how Brain Cox actually manages to have a sustained career in this country.

BartyMae

Apr 20, 2012
Wasn't there just an article about your chances of being hit by an asteroid? Not so snarky now, I bet...

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
Sorry, I just had to.

This is pretty scary. Imagine if it was the same size as the one that blew up over Tunguska. Then there is the added coincidence that it happened just hours before an asteroid passed us. It really feels like these close calls are starting to increase in frequency lately.

LtFerret

Jun 4, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
Someone Find Crypto! THE BLISK HAVE RETURNED!
This is just the first step in the Blisk's FIENDISH MASTER PLAN!

Alternatively, its the Chimera.