Hundreds of Students Dressed as Spiderman Set World Record

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Hundreds of Students Dressed as Spiderman Set World Record

Nearly 400 people wore Spiderman costumes together in London, setting a new Guinness World Record.

Last night in London, 398 university students dressed up in Spiderman costumes to set a Guinness World Record for Largest Gathering of People Dressed as Spiderman. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/spiderman]

Escapade Fancy Dress, a business in London selling costumes, organized the event as a part of a student event in London. Escapade provided Marvel-licensed Spiderman costumes it obtained from costume designer and manufacturer Rubies UK.

Escapade held a similar event last year to set a world record for Largest Gathering of People Dressed as Superman. This year the company chose Spiderman to reflect real life heroes since Peter Parker started out as a regular guy.

Event organizers asked participants to donate money to event page. [http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/] Escapade estimates participants donated several hundred pounds to the charity.

Escapade worked with Student Central, a membership that offers activities and sports for London students for the event, for the week-long Fresher's Fayre, a series of events to welcome students. Students participating received a Spiderman costume for free.

[gallery=3303]

In attendance was Jack Brockbank, an official Guinness World Records judge. He confirmed the world record at 8:40 p.m. and presented Escapade a certificate alongside Help for Heroes representatives.

Beyond the successful world record attempt, the event included a gravity-defying corde lisse aerial show, crowd participation competitions, and a flashmob dance routine.

"Starting university is a big time for students but events like tonight's is what makes the whole thing so special," Steve Harwood, Student Central's staff administrator and performance manager, said in a prepared statement. "It was a great turnout, and our members really loved the chance to put themselves in the history books."

Source: Escapade [http://www.escapade.co.uk/spidermanrecord/]

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Rex Dark said:
I wonder if anyone decided to show up as Deadpool.
I know, right...when I saw all the people dressed up as Batman one, I thought it'd be cool to be the person to rock up as Robin or Batgirl or whoemever.

joshuaayt

Vocal SJW
Nov 15, 2009
Dead Metal said:
Yeah, this is cool, but I'm gonna be that guy, it's Spider-Man, not Spiderman.
Don't worry, it was the first thing that popped into my head, too. It's an important distinction!

LostPause

Sep 20, 2013
"Event organizers asked participants to donate money to Help for Heroes, a UK military charity"

In related news, Marvels offer to create and donate a 20 year anniversary reprint of the Clone Saga for the cause were turned down as the charity said their veterans had suffered enough.

James Olien

Jul 11, 2012
they should send a person from Guinness to san diego comic con. It'll probably beat it in the first day.

LaoJim

Aug 24, 2013
Its for a good cause and all, but...

I have to ask, do we really need separate records for most people dressed as Superman and Spiderman (and no doubt Batman etc). At what point do Guiness start saying no this is a silly record, or can a friend and I dress-up in yellow and apply for "World Record for Most number of people dressed as Bananaman?"